Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    Dunking on everybody in the park Phantom_Blue's Avatar

Default Re: 76ers put NBA in impossible position

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    We aren't okay with it, but we realize it's smart....

In this draft system... Hard tanking for 3 years is just way better than what the Pelicans have done for example

The Pels have a franchise player and they are still first round fodder at best likely and don't have a good roster long term

I wish the NBA would make the draft completely random for every team that doesn't make the conference finals...and I hate these rules that reward losing, but Hinkie is doing the smart thing if the goal is to win titles

He took over a team in the dreaded fringe playoff zone and the only smart option was to bottom out

And they are done now... This is the last year... They may suck again next year, but they will try to build their team out this summer
    It's not smart if it's at the expense of paying fans, well, unless you like making people suffer so someone else can benefit. Sure smart ass adults can love the process, but you're not the only fans in the world.

These other teams aren't just bad because they refuse to tank, they suck because of bad trades or drafts, players just not developing, chemistry not happening, unfortunate injuries, so many things you can point to, but let's just use "not tanking" as the sole reason.

There are actually fans that say they're in a better position than Boston, but at least the Celtics have a ton quality players that teams will actually covet along with draft picks, and they're competing so the fans win too.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom_Blue
    It's not smart if it's at the expense of paying fans, well, unless you like making people suffer so someone else can benefit. Sure smart ass adults can love the process, but you're not the only fans in the world.

These other teams aren't just bad because they refuse to tank, they suck because of bad trades or drafts, players just not developing, chemistry not happening, unfortunate injuries, so many things you can point to, but let's just use "not tanking" as the sole reason.

There are actually fans that say they're in a better position than Boston, but at least the Celtics have a ton quality players that teams will actually covet along with draft picks, and they're competing so the fans win too.
    The incoming Nets picks doesn't provide the same incentive to completely bottom out that the 76ers have. Although I've seen reasonable arguments for why Boston shouldn't have filled its roster with so many average players and tanked for more than 1 season.

As many trades as Hinkie has won, he hasn't gotten the same haul Danny Ainge got for his aging stars.

NBA lottery pick

The 76ers are also doing things like NOT signing long term contracts and banking on one draft to fix things. They're avoiding make a critical error and if they keep making small sound choices a bad contract or two will not cripple them as it does so many teams who over paid for mid level talent with long term contracts.

Decent college freshman game3524's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SwishSquared
    Hinkie didn't trade Iggy, the previous GM did. The current ownership passed on Hinkie to give the other FO one more shot iirc. They gave up Iggy, Moe Harkless, Vucevic, and like 2 firsts for Bynum. They gave up a lotto-protected first to MIA for Arnett Moultrie on draft night.

They then hired Hinkie once it was clear they blew it. He traded Jrue because it got him 2 lotto picks, one being Noel (who has played more games than Jrue has for NOP, even though NN missed his entire rookie year). The other was used on Elfrid Payton, which he flipped to Orlando to get back Philly's 2017 first round pick iirc and the rights to Dario Saric (whom Hinkie wanted all along).

People are forgetting what moves Hinkie did and what his predecessors did (they trashed the future of the team, so he had to undo their mistakes). Even if Hinkie is fired before he sees the end of his rebuild (which would now theoretically end after the 2017 draft best-case imo), he'd give the next management team a clean cap sheet, all of their own future picks, and young guys still on rookie deals. So, essentially a blank slate.

Also, this team is basically the youngest in NBA history. So, if you're saying that nobody knows how good these young players will be when they declare to be a pro, why are we judging anybody on Philly when the only guys who have played more than 2 years of pro ball on their roster are Carl Landry and Hollis Thompson. That's an example of how flawed the logic is here. We all know young teams typically flounder...

That being said, I've said many times it's fair to critique him for MCW over Giannis (I knew that was bad even on draft night), passing on Clarkson multiple times in 2014 2nd round, and drafting likely for "best value" in Okafor over most potential in KP (or others). Imo, he got the 3rd best player of the 2013 draft at #6 (two guys ahead of NN drafted after him, meaning majority of teams blew it), likely got great value for the #11 pick in 2013 in a trade, and we don't know what's up with Embiid (though I was a heck of a lot more bullish on him fully recovering at the outset of the news for the first break in his foot than now). Okafor is who we thought he was.

The tanking strategy minimizes the risk of busts by continually being in position to have a high draft pick. Fitting pieces and building out a sensible roster are secondary to landing the first stud. However, luck and the human element aren't accounted for in this method. But no strategy is fool proof and they rolled the dice trying to win this way vs. "the old school way," which is how they landed Bynum.
    Yeah, people tend to forget that Philly did try to build the roster the old school way twice with the Brand signing in 2008 and the Bynum trade in 2012.

Banned

Sixers aren't losing games on purpose. Okafor, Noel, and other aren't trying to be apart of the tank. The front office puts them in the position to lose, but the players are trying their best to win games. Nobody is telling them to throw games away on purpose in hopes for a better chance at a #1 pick.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Okay, but you make it sound like Hinkie has been at this for a decade. He's been doing this for not even 3 years now.

The Celtics are in a bit of a different situation. For starters, they had real trade assets in Rondo/Pierce/KG...that was kind of an absurdly lucky situation they fell into...they also had Avery Bradley on the roster. A good young player you know is a player you want to keep long term.

Sixers really didn't have that...and, quite frankly, I'm not in love with these Celtics as much as most. I think they have a nice team, but still missing that key piece.

They may get it in this draft or via a trade, but if they don't get that franchise guy....they aren't going to be much more than a really good team probably not capable of winning.

Swish and I both agree that the Sixers should start making legit moves and try to capture some good young players in this upcoming free agency. I've said all along that this should be the last hard tank year. They should go after players in the mold of an Aminu that can grow over time...and is worth a potential overpay.

I think they should trade Okafor this summer...I'd probably move him for another top draft pick, but I'd be okay with taking back a young pretty good player and a pick or something.

Nobody would be saying anything if they fell into Wiggins and Towns like the Wolves did. They had the right strategy, the luck just wasn't great so far.

Again, all one can do is give themselves the bast chance as many times as possible...and that is true with business, life, NBA...etc.

Yes, fans deserve more, and that is why they need to start building a legit roster this summer.

But at the same time....what is the goal? If it's to be a fringe playoff team....then do that. But it seems like Philly wanted to contend for titles...and you aren't contending for titles by building a team around Thad Young and Jrue Holiday.

Also I don't think what Philly is doing is an insult to the paying fans. Attendance was fairly bad during the post Iverson treadmill team years(2008-2012), so it is not like fans are clamoring to see that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel
    Sixers aren't losing games on purpose. Okafor, Noel, and other aren't trying to be apart of the tank. The front office puts them in the position to lose, but the players are trying their best to win games. Nobody is telling them to throw games away on purpose in hopes for a better chance at a #1 pick.
    That is his point. He's not saying players are losing games.

College superstar

Well one good thing about the 76ers draft pick is that at least Okafor brought the back to the basket post up game back. I miss the good ole days when damned near everyone in the NBA had a back to the basket post up move. Even some of the point guards from the 90s had they own signature back to the basket post up move.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by game3524
    Yeah, people tend to forget that Philly did try to build the roster the old school way twice with the Brand signing in 2008 and the Bynum trade in 2012.
    lets not forget webber with iverson and van horn with iverson. They've never done a good job with this stuff.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by MiseryCityTexas
    Well one good thing about the 76ers draft pick is that at least Okafor brought the back to the basket post up game back. I miss the good ole days when damned near everyone in the NBA had a back to the basket post up move. Even some of the point guards from the 90s had they own signature back to the basket post up move.
    Yes basketball is far better when people post up on every play instead of dribble drive attacks with passes inside and out. Horray for a lack of ball movement...

Saw a basketball once

As a lifelong Phoenix Suns fan, I believe that if Jerry Colangelo can't fix the Sixers NOBODY can.

Quote Originally Posted by dhsilv
    lets not forget webber with iverson and van horn with iverson. They've never done a good job with this stuff.
    Yeah, don't get remind me.

King and LB wasted the post 2001 Iverson years by trying to find a second scorer, when in reality they simply need some shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by game3524
    Yeah, don't get remind me.

King and LB wasted the post 2001 Iverson years by trying to find a second scorer, when in reality they simply need some shooters.
    I dont think it's that simple.

Remember post 2001 there was still hand checking in the leauge. I don't think prime Iverson could play like Westbrook/Lebron in that era even if they had the 3pt personnel then. Hence the need for a second scorer to ease the load off AI.

Further evidence that the year hand checking was taken out, Iverson had a career shooting year.

It was that rule, combined with the Zone D, which forced defenses to become creative with their defenses (strong side loading). This in turn forced offenses to adjust, by putting more and more shooting/passing/dribbling around the ball.