Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: Questions on the Put Back Dunk off a Missed Free Throw.

I remember Corey Maggette having an illegal one too. I can never find the clip though. It looked tremendous.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by NugzHeat3
    Robert Horry does it here too although it's a clear violation since you have to be behind the FT shooter and can't cross the FT line before the ball hits the rim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=TEtaiZgmUV4#

That Shannon Brown play is a violation as well.
    Never mind. Both the Horry and Brown plays are legal. You can cross the line right after the ball is released instead of waiting until it hits the rim.

Players not occupying lane spaces must remain on the court behind the three point line above the free throw line extended and may not be touching the line or floor inside the line when the ball is released.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by NugzHeat3
    Never mind. Both the Horry and Brown plays are legal. You can cross the line right after the ball is released instead of waiting until it hits the rim.
    Thanks for that confirmation. You had me wondering with your claim earlier.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Thanks for that confirmation. You had me wondering with your claim earlier.
    No problem. It turned out it's just the FT shooter who has to wait until the ball hits the rim.

It only is possible for freak athletes, and only when the other team fails so hard at boxing out

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    It only is possible for freak athletes, and only when the other team fails so hard at boxing out
    A lot of things have to go right, but I don't believe it requires extreme athleticism, as it is still just a routine tip dunk (if there's such a thing as a "routine" tip dunk). I used to sneak from behind and tip-dunk my players' free throws during practice on occasion.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease plUto or bUst's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gyu
    Play of his career. If von wafer can do it, I don't see why many other guys in the league don't do it. I'm surprised someone like Westbrook doesn't have more of these. He should just streak to the basket every time Kendrick Perkins shoots a free throw.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by plUto or bUst
    Play of his career. If von wafer can do it, I don't see why many other guys in the league don't do it. I'm surprised someone like Westbrook doesn't have more of these. He should just streak to the basket every time Kendrick Perkins shoots a free throw.
    I think it's a classic case of picking your spot, which is why it's so rare. If Westbrook always crashed like that, teams would recognize this almost immediately and his clear path would be nullified from that point forward. It's usually a "catch people sleeping" situation.

To further compound the unlikelihood of this situation, even if a player attempts to crash the paint from the arc every single time a free throw is shot, they're going to be sprinting for nothing probably about 75% of the time (a team's average free throw percentage). Further, the chances one of the 25% of misses coming off the rim in a timely fashion at just the right spot is even lower. Plus, the chances of a slew of big men not already swarming around the board depletes the opportunity even further.

Through it all, it's likely a poor way to expend someone's energy in the long run.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease plUto or bUst's Avatar

I was looking for instances of missed put back dunks and found one by AI. Beautiful play... too bad he missed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1VZ_7zOTNw