Decent college freshman

Default Would Dallas Help LAC With a DJ S&T?

Curious what you guys think. On surface, I don't think Dallas should help the Clippers gain an advantage by strengthening their depleted roster after DJ's commitment to join the Mavs.

However, Clippers would surely take on Felton's contract, which may be attractive to Dallas b/c they could afford 1 more low-cost (aka non min contract) guy in addition to using the Room Exception to round their rotation (I think). Keep in mind that a contract as a result of a S&T is required to be at least 3 years long, but only 1st year guaranteed.

I posted this 2-trade plan in to help out the Clippers in another thread (and it's a longshot), but how preposterous is this:
    Trade 1:
    Mavs Receive: DJ
    Clips Receive: Koufos ($30M/3 years, only 1st year guaranteed), Felton
    Grizz Receive: $10M TPE, 2020 2nd round pick (via LAC)

Trade 2:
    Clips Receive: Jason Thompson
    76ers Receive: Felton, 2019 LAC top 12 protected first round pick
    Clippers net badly-needed frontcourt help (with minimal salary commitment beyond 2015-2016), Grizz get a big TPE & second rounder (for somebody who wants out), Philly saves cap space this year and next + gets another first round pick, and Dallas clears out Felton's contract.
    Last edited by SwishSquared; 07-04-2015 at 02:52 AM.

Magic Johnson

Default Re: Would Dallas Help LAC With a DJ S&T?

No. The Western Conference is ridiculous enough. Helping out another team would not be wise.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Re: Would Dallas Help LAC With a DJ S&T?

I'd be in favor of any deal that opened up cap space for us and let us get rid of Felton and add Crawford.

We can always get to max cap space next year if we really have to.

Getting Crawford and a legit starting pg would be worth it imo.

This is why you have to really have a plan as a franchise. If you knew Ellis wasn't going to be a long term guy here and you were going in a different direction.....and you wanted to have max cap room this summer....then we never should have traded Calderon for Tyson.

Calderon was on a great contract and if you have a guy like West at sg...he's the perfect pg.

We should have moved Ellis last summer instead of Calderon...that way we could have retained the likes of Crowder or Aminu or Wright...or perhaps all 3 of them...while still adding two essential max guys.

If the goal really was to go young and not build around Dirk/Ellis....then the Calderon trade and Rondo trade make absolutely 0 sense.

Mavs tend to only think 1 move ahead....and it's gotten them into trouble for years. In the past in the old CBA...Cuban could just spend his way out.

I did laugh my ass of yesterday though...Cuban on the radio talking about how he wanted to get younger and how draft picks are important. 3 months ago that clown traded 2 young players and 2 draft picks for a half year rental of Rondo.

Keeping those guys would have allowed a trade for a guy like Lawson if we wanted to go that route. It opens up sign and trade options next summer for a max guy. Crowder/Wright would be nice assets on the contracts they just signed. Wright would have gotten more with us no doubt and we might not have been able to keep him, but Crowder would have taken less to stay with us and his value wouldn't have been as high. Aminu's value would have been lower as well.

Makes absolutely no sense.

So while this was the best case scenario given our **** ups, Cuban is trying to pull a fast one on everyone so nobody talks about all the things that make no sense given what he's saying now.