Thread: Reggie Jackson

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Reggie Jackson

Any news on the RJ front?

It seems like there aren't any teams left that are going to make a fair offer for him.

He's definitely slipped through the cracks of free agency and any team that gets him is likely to get him for a really good value if they can lock him up for 4 years.

What teams are out there that make sense? Lakers or Jazz potentially, but I don't like that for either team. Do the Sixers finally give out a contract and just view it as getting RJ cheap as an asset?

I can't really think of any...I'd love to see the Mavs open up some cap space and get him on a good deal if possible.

Default Re: Reggie Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41

I can't really think of any...I'd love to see the Mavs open up some cap space and get him on a good deal if possible.
    What would you be willing to pay him?

I''m starting to think we should sign Lin on a 1 year contract, we won't win a title this year anyway. I rather have more cap space next year, than a mediocre PG like Jackson on a long contract.

Mavs seem like the best fit to me. His suspect 3 point shooting wouldn't be as much as a problem since he would be paired up with Matthews.

Quote Originally Posted by StephHamann
    What would you be willing to pay him?

I''m starting to think we should sign Lin on a 1 year contract, we won't win a title this year anyway. I rather have more cap space next year, than a mediocre PG like Jackson on a long contract.
    I wouldn't pay much.

I'd have to really think about it.

Just thinking about weird scenarios....like we convince the Sixers to sign him...then we trade Felton and Anderson for him. Something like that if you could make the math work.

I don't know...RJ on a 4 year 36 to 44 million dollar deal seems like it would be a great value given where this money is trending towards.

Yea...I like the Lin idea as well.

I think we could still get to max cap space with a deal like that as well though. I'd have to go through the numbers, but I think it would be more about whether Cuban would want to pay the tax rather than our actual cap space.

I just feel like there is real value here on signing guys to 4 year deals. Felt the same way last year.

I know I keep beating a dead horse, but look at that IT contract. It's amazing...3 years left at 19 million? Holy shit that is unreal good. Stuff like that I feel is being missed out on...you can always trade guys on good deals like that. IT, Ariza, Bradley...etc.

Sadly two guys we had...Crowder and Wright...Patrick Beverly is on a very good contract now. Rockets really have done a good job doing these kinds of value signings.

I'm not sure RJ fits in that class (depends on the number), but he could be a steal given the market currently for him.
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 07-04-2015 at 12:52 PM.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

he can and will be matched by the pistons (outside of a max and even then they probably match).

I bet he gets about 12-14 per

Decent college freshman

He's locked himself in with Detroit. That's why there's been no news about him.

Quote Originally Posted by jayfan
    He's locked himself in with Detroit. That's why there's been no news about him.

Yea...I guess he'll get paid too much for other teams to really look as well.

Kind of forgot how much a guy like Knight got. Not good value for him imo.

36 to 44 mills?

He rejected a 4 yr/48 million deal from the Thunder....why would he take less?....even though he isn't worth that much money

Quote Originally Posted by BlakFrankWhite
    36 to 44 mills?

He rejected a 4 yr/48 million deal from the Thunder....why would he take less?....even though he isn't worth that much money
    I"m not saying he would. I was asked what I would value him at.

Clearly this isn't realistic if the Pistons are keen on paying him. I brought this up only because the market for RJ is kind of dried up now...a lot of teams that have space wouldn't even offer him anything as it wouldn't make sense.

But if the Pistons are keeping...then he'll get paid much more and he's not a good value imo.

There are just so many good values out there. Teams are going to reap the benefits of this like they did last year.

Bismack Biyombo just went for 6 million over 2 years. That is an absurdly good deal...he would be perfect on the Mavs.

I just feel like the Mavs are missing out on really good value on some guys...just like they did last year.

It's why so much doesn't make sense that the Mavs did. IF the plan was to get younger and kind of punt on the last 2 seasons and this one (we obviously aren't trying to win it all this year)...then trading Wright/Crowder and 2 picks is awful. Trading Calderon for Chandler doesn't even make sense. Once we got Parsons...we should have traded Ellis....

We should have tried to keep role players like Aminu and Crowder (wright would have been too expensive if he stayed)

Sign guys like Ed Davis or Bismack...etc.

At some point you'll need real role players that you don't turn over every single year if you want to truly contend.

Developing a guy like Larkin the last couple years would have made a ton of sense. Calderon would be a nice trade asset. We essentially got nothing back for Calderon and Larkin. And got nothing back for Crowder, Wright, and 2 first round picks.

That is beyond bad for a team doing what the Mavs are doing. It's just killer.

Just many mistakes even if you give the mavs credit here (which I do)...you have to have a plan and stick to it. You can't jump back and forth between trying to get younger and also trade away young assets for an aging point and trade for tyson chandler...with both on 1 year deals. It was just stupid if Ellis wasn't in long term plans and we were punting on 4 straight seasons essentially.
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 07-04-2015 at 01:49 PM.