Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Default Jerry West: LeBron has surpassed Kobe

LeBron Surpasses Kobe as The Top Player: Jerry West

Published: May 18, 2009
    Filed at 4:07 p.m. ET

Skip to next paragraph WASHINGTON (Reuters) - LeBron James is the best player in the NBA, surpassing veteran Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant, 14-times All-Star guard Jerry West said Monday.

West, a shrewd judge of talent who brought Bryant to the Lakers when he was their general manager, said the Cleveland forward could become the league's next Michael Jordan.

"I look at Cleveland say to myself, 'How many games could they win without LeBron James?' West told Reuters in an interview. "That's how great he is.

"He has a chance to be arguably the greatest player ever to play the game."

West, the NBA's executive of the year with the Lakers in 1995 and the Memphis Grizzlies in 2004, said playing both ends of the floor was what made Jordan so great.

"Michael Jordan was the best defensive player in the league but he was also the best offensive player," said West. "It wasn't a one-year fluke, he proved it over time.

"LeBron James will do the same type of things because he's getting better. He's a much more effective shooter. When's he's making his shots from the outside, you can't play him.

"He's just too big, too strong, too quick. And he has incredible body control. But more than that, he's a great team mate. You can see his team mates love him."

James averaged 28.4 points this season and was named the NBA's most valuable player. But Bryant, a three-times NBA champion and 2008 MVP, still remains a force, said West.

"If I had to have somebody make a last-second shot, it would be Kobe Bryant," said West, architect of the great Lakers teams from Magic Johnson years in the 1980s through the Shaquille O'Neal clubs of the early 2000s.

"But even though it's hard for me to be objective, because I brought Kobe to Los Angeles, I do think LeBron has surpassed Kobe as a player."

West, 70, was in Washington attending a conference for atrial fibrillation, a condition he has that can cause a racing heart, sleeplessness, anxiety and depression.

The condition, diagnosed at age 42, forced him to leave the front office of the Lakers and then the Grizzlies in 2007.

West, a member of the Lakers' 1972 title team, said he does not think about how he would fare in today's NBA but added, "I would be competitive, trust me."

(Editing by Alison Wildey)
    http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2009/...west.html?_r=1

Et Tu, Jerry?
    Last edited by eliteballer; 05-18-2009 at 08:53 PM.

NBA Finals

Default Re: Jerry West: LeBron has surpassed Kobe

I agree

Banned

Obviously Jerry is a smart guy and most people have known this.

(-_-)(X_X)BB(9_9)(^_^) big baller's Avatar

psh, w/e

Uh oh wait till bruce sees this topic

Jerry's eye for talent is greater than all you fools on ISH. but not greater than mines of course

I usually hit open layups

Well he's right. Thats just the way it is, good to have it come from someone like Jerry West who's opinion and insight is wery well respected.

I am a Laker fan for life and truly think Kobe is great and among the greatest SGs and scorers ever but Lebron man he's just this season and barring injuries at his age now, this big,strong,quick,fast,skilled etc etc it's just rediculus!!!!

He's on some Shaq ****, freak of nature there is no one like this kid! Ever.

College star

This is no secret or anything new.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer

WOW HUGE WORDS BY THE BEST JUDGE OF TALENT THE LEAGUE HAS SEEN.. I think Lebron is more dominant than Kobe but still the CAVS have no chance vs the Lakers in the finals... I willput money on this.... Like Jerry said how many games would that team win without Lebron.. And yes he is the only player who can supplant mj but he needs a better second best player.. Mo Williams is not that player... He is a nice player but a 13 pt career scorer really isn't the type of player who will help lebron win a finals...

Quote Originally Posted by big baller
    psh, w/e
    But more than that, he's a great team mate. You can see his team mates love him."
    hmmm...subtle dig?

Can't disagree with Mr. West The guy won many NBA Championships as the Vice President and General Manager of the Los Angeles Lakers.

Blasphemy!

Banned

Kobe>LeBron

I usually hit open layups

No ****, why is it nobody takes something as being true unless the media says it.So many people cant think for themselves, Kobe hasnt been better than Bron or Wade for a couple of seasons now (healthy wade).

Lebron>Kobe