Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Sacramento Kings Forum

Sacramento Kings Forum Sacramento Kings forum - Sacramento Kings message board

Old 07-14-2007, 03:15 AM   #61
dleave
I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Default Re: Kings Summer League

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboi_baller
I haven't watched any summer league games. I just don't enjoy the games if I'm watching from a computer...

What does Hawes look like on the defensive end?

Has Justin really improved or just going against crappy competition?

Hawes is going to be a defensive liability for sure for a couple years, maybe forever. He's smart and his team D seems decent cause he is at least where he's usually supposed to be, but man up he's too weak to cover the beasts. Eventually he'll probably be able to hang with guys like Mehmet though.

I didn't see hardly any Kings games last year cause I don't live in Sacramento anymore and I ordered comcast on DirecTV, but they blacked out all the freaken Kings games! Anyway, point is, I don't know how much Williams has improved, but he's a beast athletically. He's really raw though. He gets caught out of position a lot on defense and isn't that solid at fundamental type of stuff like boxing out and understanding where he should be running on fast breaks though. But hey, he can pretty much jump above everybody else in the summer league and the fundamentals can be taught right!
dleave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:09 PM   #62
BradMiller52
Kings fan

Game's on. Hawes is looking really nice.
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:15 AM   #63
Admiral
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMiller52
Game's on. Hawes is looking really nice.

missed it again, i turned it on to see the GS NY game which i half watched/half switched between comedy central *sigh*
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:23 AM   #64
BradMiller52
Kings fan

You didn't miss much bro. All the good stuff was in the 1st half, we blew a 15 point lead and got blown out by 19 in the 2nd half. Hawes was short on a lot of his shots, you could tell he was pretty exhausted. Justin couldn't hit a lay up to save his life. Shakur made some good passes but he couldn't hit a shot either. Caner Medley was decent but even he had an airball. Watkins was the only positive in the 2nd half. He had a nice jump hook from near the FT line, a good mid range J(had 2 of those in the 1st half btw) and had some blocks. I hope he gets a roster spot, I'm amazed why he wasn't drafted.

In the 1st half:

Shakur had 5 assists, a 35 foot J to end the 2nd half(which I didn't get to see because NBAtv was too busy showing highlights from previous plays while the freakin game was still going on), a dunk, and play nice D. He looked real nice and he was like 3/7, then went like 1/6 in the 2nd half. So you could see how much talent he has but at the same time the guy is really inconsistent. Justin had a nice block or two, some nice boards. Hawes was playing really well and was like 5/11(finished the game 6/18...), he was scoring at will in the low post. Douby did well, then hurt his back again so he left the game. That was pretty much it.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:37 AM   #65
Admiral
Good High School Starter

Quote:
You didn't miss much bro. All the good stuff was in the 1st half, we blew a 15 point lead and got blown out by 19 in the 2nd half. Hawes was short on a lot of his shots, you could tell he was pretty exhausted. Justin couldn't hit a lay up to save his life. Shakur made some good passes but he couldn't hit a shot either. Caner Medley was decent but even he had an airball. Watkins was the only positive in the 2nd half. He had a nice jump hook from near the FT line, a good mid range J(had 2 of those in the 1st half btw) and had some blocks. I hope he gets a roster spot, I'm amazed why he wasn't drafted.

In the 1st half:

Shakur had 5 assists, a 35 foot J to end the 2nd half(which I didn't get to see because NBAtv was too busy showing highlights from previous plays while the freakin game was still going on), a dunk, and play nice D. He looked real nice and he was like 3/7, then went like 1/6 in the 2nd half. So you could see how much talent he has but at the same time the guy is really inconsistent. Justin had a nice block or two, some nice boards. Hawes was playing really well and was like 5/11(finished the game 6/18...), he was scoring at will in the low post. Douby did well, then hurt his back again so he left the game. That was pretty much it.

was the shakur inconsistency consistent with other games? i have only really watched one all the way through so i havent been able to watch these guys at all.

i dont recall this caner medley fella, has he been on the whole summer league?

good to hear hawes is still panning out...i've relieved my "gonna kill myself" threats from my friends for this pick ;) i hope he continues to give me life...
Old 07-16-2007, 04:49 AM   #66
BradMiller52
Kings fan

Just started watching the game now, I'll break everything down after I'm done.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:16 PM   #67
Kings_Alex
Sugar K

I don't like Hawes, although I'm really liking Cisco and Jwilliams. I'll give Hawes 2 more years to develop and get better. btw Douby should get minutes! I'm sure if he got more minutes he'd be better at decision making and be an outstanding guard.
Kings_Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:58 PM   #68
BradMiller52
Kings fan

Douby hurt his back a few weeks ago and had a hard time playing. BTW welcome to ISH, I'm the other co-mod along with bigboi baller.

As far as today's game goes:

Justin Williams: He looked better on offense(you wouldn't know it just from looking at his statline though) but he had a few moves. He had 1 or 2 hook shots that managed to fall for him and a few more that he either was short on or was fouled on. But it was a pretty good day for him offensively considering he was actually making moves out there and not just dunking on everyone(well, he did that too but not as much, also had 2 or 3 times where he used 1 or 2 dribbles and was able to get to the basket that way instead of just being close to the rim for a putback which he also got). The free throws looked a lot better. He was a monster on the glass. The only downside here(and I didn't notice it as much in the game) was the 6 TOs and the 8 fouls. Also was a monster on the glass with 14 rebounds.

Shakur: Played some decent D and distributed the ball well. He has really nice vision of the floor. I noticed that he was responsible for 4-6 of Caner-Medley's points because he was able to see him when he was coming off a pick. He's pretty creative as far as the passing goes and it showed by getting like 9 assists/1 turnover. Also had 3 steals . He does a good job of getting to the FT line. I hope he gets a shot at the roster(along with Watkins).

Caner-Medley: Had another good game. He's a good rebounder for a SF, a very good shooter(made some shots that he created for himself along with some where he used some nice off the ball movement to get himself open), and I liked his hustle. He played decent D also. If he doesn't get a shot with us I hope he gets a shot with someone else, he has potential to be a decent player IMO.

Spencer: He had a really nice game today, offensively. His effort as far as rebounding could've been a lot better but once he adds muscle that should hopefully improve. He pretty much owned Paul Davis though. He used a variety of post moves and his J was working well for him. Also ran the floor a few times in the last couple games which has REALLY surprised me considering I thought he was just a big slow guy along the lines of Vlade or Eddy Curry. He has decent size but as far as speed he's more like Nenad Krstic(pre injury) IMO. He's good at running and catching a pass as he's running then just putting it up on the backboard and converting the lay up. A lot of other big men couldn't do that because they either wouldn't catch the pass or get down the floor in time but he did a good job. His post game is still obviously his best asset though. His D was average. He wasn't a liability but he didn't exactly shut down Paul Davis either. He did a good job on Mohamed Abukar when he was in there though, definitely one of the reasons the guy shot 2-13.

Pooh Jeter: His jumpshot is very nice. He did a decent enough job of creating for people most of the time/distributing the ball. But at times it seemed like he started to chuck some shots and I don't really like that. He was hitting them so it's not a big deal. Hope he gets a shot with some other team. He could eventually be a decent scorer off the bench for someone.

Darryl Watkins: Didn't get to play much, when he did he got 2 rebounds and an assist in 9 minutes. Not sure why he didn't get minutes but hope we give him a shot, I was a fan of his when he went to college and I think he could eventually be decent in the NBA. Good mid range J, good rebounder, and good shotblocker.

Ron Artest brother: He kind of sucks but considering he's never played any college ball or HS ball it's a good job for him to just hang with everyone else. He did a good job of getting position for rebounds though, even if he didn't actually get the rebound. Hit a long jumper and missed a putback and that was pretty much it. I dunno why but I am kind of rooting for this guy to make it in the league, I think it would be funny.

boxscore: http://www.nba.com/summerleague2007/...eId=1520700055

Last edited by BradMiller52 : 07-16-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:05 PM   #69
Kings_Alex
Sugar K

Smile Re: Kings Summer League

Quote:
Douby hurt his back a few weeks ago and had a hard time playing. BTW welcome to ISH, I'm the other co-mod along with bigboi baller.

As far as today's game goes:

Justin Williams: He looked better on offense(you wouldn't know it just from looking at his statline though) but he had a few moves. He had 1 or 2 hook shots that managed to fall for him and a few more that he either was short on or was fouled on. But it was a pretty good day for him offensively considering he was actually making moves out there and not just dunking on everyone(well, he did that too but not as much, also had 2 or 3 times where he used 1 or 2 dribbles and was able to get to the basket that way instead of just being close to the rim for a putback which he also got). The free throws looked a lot better. He was a monster on the glass. The only downside here(and I didn't notice it as much in the game) was the 6 TOs and the 8 fouls. Also was a monster on the glass with 14 rebounds.

Shakur: Played some decent D and distributed the ball well. He has really nice vision of the floor. I noticed that he was responsible for 4-6 of Caner-Medley's points because he was able to see him when he was coming off a pick. He's pretty creative as far as the passing goes and it showed by getting like 9 assists/1 turnover. Also had 3 steals . He does a good job of getting to the FT line. I hope he gets a shot at the roster(along with Watkins).

Caner-Medley: Had another good game. He's a good rebounder for a SF, a very good shooter(made some shots that he created for himself along with some where he used some nice off the ball movement to get himself open), and I liked his hustle. He played decent D also. If he doesn't get a shot with us I hope he gets a shot with someone else, he has potential to be a decent player IMO.

Spencer: He had a really nice game today, offensively. His effort as far as rebounding could've been a lot better but once he adds muscle that should hopefully improve. He pretty much owned Paul Davis though. He used a variety of post moves and his J was working well for him. Also ran the floor a few times in the last couple games which has REALLY surprised me considering I thought he was just a big slow guy along the lines of Vlade or Eddy Curry. He has decent size but as far as speed he's more like Nenad Krstic(pre injury) IMO. He's good at running and catching a pass as he's running then just putting it up on the backboard and converting the lay up. A lot of other big men couldn't do that because they either wouldn't catch the pass or get down the floor in time but he did a good job. His post game is still obviously his best asset though. His D was average. He wasn't a liability but he didn't exactly shut down Paul Davis either. He did a good job on Mohamed Abukar when he was in there though, definitely one of the reasons the guy shot 2-13.

Pooh Jeter: His jumpshot is very nice. He did a decent enough job of creating for people most of the time/distributing the ball. But at times it seemed like he started to chuck some shots and I don't really like that. He was hitting them so it's not a big deal. Hope he gets a shot with some other team. He could eventually be a decent scorer off the bench for someone.

Darryl Watkins: Didn't get to play much, when he did he got 2 rebounds and an assist in 9 minutes. Not sure why he didn't get minutes but hope we give him a shot, I was a fan of his when he went to college and I think he could eventually be decent in the NBA. Good mid range J, good rebounder, and good shotblocker.

Ron Artest brother: He kind of sucks but considering he's never played any college ball or HS ball it's a good job for him to just hang with everyone else. He did a good job of getting position for rebounds though, even if he didn't actually get the rebound. Hit a long jumper and missed a putback and that was pretty much it. I dunno why but I am kind of rooting for this guy to make it in the league, I think it would be funny.

boxscore: http://www.nba.com/summerleague2007/...eId=1520700055
Thanks BradMiller52. Daniel Artest, was he serious he was thinking of playing in the NBA? I don't think he's ready and all, but he seems like a nice guy. Caner-Medley has shown some skill during Summer League but I don't think he's right for the Kings. If we were to sign him, I'm sure Theus would give him no playing time. Pooh Jeter is impressive and is full of energy. I wouldn't mind having him on the team but we signed Mustafa so there's no need for another PG imo. and again, Hawes, if he improved his rebounding I'd reconsider what I said about him. I really would of liked the Kings to get a more athletic, well built, strong, shot-blocking, rebounding player, but it's too early to say that, maybe Hawes will be outstanding during the reg. season.
Kings_Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:24 PM   #70
BradMiller52
Kings fan

Daniel Artest was serious about it haha. I am rooting for him though. If he can lose some more weight and work on some post moves he could probably be a nice post up SG/SF kind of like Bonzi was. I noticed he did a decent job of stopping guys 5 or 6 inches taller from getting rebounds just by boxing them out(probably his best note because of his size).

About Hawes-I hated the pick at first too but he has sort of won me over after watching him play. He'll never be a great rebounder but he has a chance to be decent. I wanted a shotblocker, rebounder, etc. but all those guys were gone when we picked so oh well I guess. It's looking like he'll be a good player though, but we aren't going to see what he'll look like for his career really until his 3rd or 4th season.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:31 AM   #71
twink
Saw a basketball once

Terps fan here. Curious as to whether Caner-Medley can make this team. Looking at his numbers in Vegas, I see he got off to an unremarkable start but finished strong. Any thoughts would be appreciated. TY.
twink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:51 PM   #72
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by twink
Terps fan here. Curious as to whether Caner-Medley can make this team. Looking at his numbers in Vegas, I see he got off to an unremarkable start but finished strong. Any thoughts would be appreciated. TY.
I'm sure he gets a spot in training camp. But seeing as though we have a logjam at PF, it might be hard.

A lot depends on any trades that take place before then.
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:43 PM   #73
Admiral
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboi_baller
I'm sure he gets a spot in training camp. But seeing as though we have a logjam at PF, it might be hard.

A lot depends on any trades that take place before then.

speaking of...Perez, any new info for us? (can you tell i'm a little anxious about next season?)
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: