Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Tim Duncan is a 90 on 2k15

Quote Originally Posted by dr.hee
    Since you have no clue what the number even means an how it's calculated, how could you know?
    You trying to get smart with me? You're not even a real doctor

NBA Superstar

Here's a brief rundown from a developer at 2K as to how overalls are now calculated:
    Each Position has a set of Archetypes (or Player Types, if you will). All-Around, Athletic, Defensive, etc. Some positions share some of them, some have some unique ones too. A player has an overall per player type per position. So a player has (NumberOfPositions * NumberOfPlayerTypesPerPosition) overall ratings. Each Positional Player Type has its own overall formula (so PG All Around has a different formula than PF All Around has a different formula than C Defensive).

Whenever his overall rating gets updated, we calculate all the overall ratings for his position by player type. The player type that gives him his the highest overall is the one we determine "most compatible", so we assign it to him along with that Overall.

So yes, a player that might be C All-Around but as years go by sees his offensive attributes regress but you've made sure to keep him up to par defensively using (cheap plug but I'm a dev) our new in-season Training system, might see his player type change to C Defensive, and his value to the team will still be there.
    I mentioned this in the Video Game Forum but I think the idea was to reflect a player's importance to his team and the game, whereas "Overall" before was more or less a composite, leading some players who were legendary in many categories but so-so in others while still having an incredible impact on his team (ex: Dirk Nowitzki) often receiving a lower rating than a guy who's not great at anything but does a number of things particularly well.

Now, it seems players like Nowtizki and Duncan are rated more heavily according to their roles. I think another example would be Joakim Noah. In years past, players like Noah would receive lower overalls by default because they'd be punished for, say, not being good three point shooters, whether that was an integral part of their role or not. It seems now, with Noah likely being a player type of "Defensive", his rebounding ability and blocking will impact his overall much more significantly than things like three point shooting and ball security, thus potentially leading to a higher overall for Noah than we've previously grown accustomed.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 09-12-2014 at 12:31 PM.

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
    You trying to get smart with me? You're not even a real doctor

New rating system? You can't compare overall ratings across different positions, doesn't make any sense at all.
    I get that it's a new rating system..but it being new shouldn't absolve them of blame for it being flat out inaccurate.. Obviously if Duncan is rated higher than Westbrook something isn't working correctly with it, which warrants it being called out.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Explain how Duncan's rating reflects in any way on Westbrook when there is a different formula for arriving at each number.

It's like saying someone got a math problem wrong because their answer is different than yours when you aren't even solving the same problem.

The ratings are totally independent.....because the formula for arriving at them varies.

Its a video game who cares..The rating goes up or down depending on how the player actually plays during the season anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
    Tim ain't a 90. Thats the bottom line.
    He also isn't a 592, or a 49.5, or a 3.14

If you don't know the context of the numbers, then don't bother talking about them.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

All the ratings on this game are ridiculous.

National High School Star dr.hee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    All the ratings on this game are ridiculous.
    Where did you get it so early? You're not talking out of your ass, right?

Being rewarded.

they needed to fix the ratings along time ago. jason maxiell was a higher rating than andrea bargnani the year he averaged like 22 ppg

Banned

It's funny because 2K hired Bedwardsroy19, a very popular roster maker in the community, and now since he's worked on 2K15, people are still complaining about ratings. New rating systems, no more '2K Insider', and more accurate ratings.

Or simply put, two centers with the same overall rating can be totally different player types with unique strengths. This wasn't possible before.
    Yes it was...

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    thus potentially leading to a higher overall for Noah than we've previously grown accustomed.
    the overall rating is just for looks, it's not going to change how the player plays on the court. actually it will effect contract negotiations, so it isn't just for looks if you play a franchise.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by buddha
    the overall rating is just for looks, it's not going to change how the player plays on the court. actually it will effect contract negotiations, so it isn't just for looks if you play a franchise.
    Yeah, I think that may have been part of the idea. A guy like Andre Drummond held less trade value in 2K in the past due to his mediocre overall (thanks largely to being an awful shooting outside of four feet). His value according to his player type should (and did) boost his overall, perhaps more closely providing the value he truly holds.