Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Complete Player

Default Re: Kevin Durant = something unique that this game has never seen.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Webb4
    You do realize that KD is probably a good 4-5 years or more from actually reaching his prime don't you?
    Even rookies have come in this league averaging more assists than turnovers. Durant is a turnover prone black hole who has a good jumper and benefits from refs who give out free throws like candy.

I'm taking bets on what will happen first. Will Durant actually have a season where he becomes even a below average playmaker or will Dwight Howard develop an average post game?

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Nah, 2003 T-Mac>2010 Durant. McGrady scored more than Durant that season and was a much better passer as well as being a better defender.

In 2003, McGrady's prolific 3 point shooting, ability to shoot off the dribble or move off the ball and drill mid-range shots as well as superior athleticism and ball handling ability which made him capable of getting to the basket and finishing over anyone or scoring with acrobatic lay ups made him atleast as good of a scorer, actually, better, IMO, atleast in that season.

As far as passing, this isn't even close. McGrady was capable of running his team's offense and setting up his teammates, Durant doesn't have that ability and hasn't shown any signs that he ever will.

I'll also take a young, healthy T-Mac over Durant defensively.

With that being said, I will acknowledge that outside of 2003, there's not really any seperation between T-Mac and Durant because Durant's scoring easily trumps any of McGrady's other seasons and his rebounding is on par or better. However, it's important to note that scoring was very low league wide when McGrady won his second scoring title.

And for the record, I'd take 2002 and 2005 T-Mac over Durant as an overall player.

Durant is on par with prime T-Mac(2001-2007), but not peak T-Mac(2003)
    You should also note that T-Mac's second best player was Darrel Armstrong/Gooden/Mike Miller in those years.

Durant has Jeff Green/Westbrook/Krystic/Harden/Ibaka/and a better coach.

They were all trying to stop T-Mac and couldn't stop him.

Quote Originally Posted by hitmanyr2k
    Even rookies have come in this league averaging more assists than turnovers. Durant is a turnover prone black hole who has a good jumper and benefits from refs who give out free throws like candy.

I'm taking bets on what will happen first. Will Durant actually have a season where he becomes even a below average playmaker or will Dwight Howard develop an average post game?
    Are most of those rookies 6'10 ballhanders? That's just a question for you.

OKC 2010-11 NBA Champs

I just have to LOL @ people referencing the amount of points a player scores without bringing efficiency into consideration.

T-Mac's best season 46 FG%/38 3P%/79 FT% which equates to a TS% of 56.4

Durant just shit all over that last season with 48/37/90 & a TS of 60.7%

Just stop

McGrady was a chucker who shot 43% for his career.

I'm happy he was able to average 32 ppg on over 24 FGA. Durant just put up 30 on 20 shots.

With that being said McGrady in 02-3 was better than Durant last season but it's not by a huge margin. Outside of that season Durant was better than T-Mac at any point during his career.

He's actually nothing like Tracy Mcgrady and he's already right now at 21 better than T-Mac was in his prime.
    oooh...I dunno bout that. TMac's prime > Durant in the 09-10 season.

Quote Originally Posted by joyner82
    I just have to LOL @ people referencing the amount of points a player scores without bringing efficiency into consideration.

Just stop

TMac was carrying a heavier load. Durant's got some pretty good role players on that team.

Great college starter 50inchvertical's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AK47DR91
    It'll be a matter of time before Durant is traded to Boston. No way is a future Top 5 player of all-time playing on a small market team like OKC.

I'm hoping sooner than later that he'll be in Celtics uniform.
    It's the #31 most populated city in the US. The difference between Boston and OKC in population is approximately 75k. This whole small market bullshit is so overstated.

For comparison's sake, OKC has more people than Atlanta, Cleveland, Sacramento, Miami, Oakland, Minneapolis, Newark, and Orlando who all have NBA teams.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Much taller? As in an inch or so? George Karl was saying Tmac was actually 6'10'' in shoes in like 2002. I dont know how tall any of them are for real. dont much care either. A thumbnails difference in height doesntmake someone a whole different kind of player.

Tmac was(I say was...because the person I mean no longer exists) a power forward height swingman who could guard pointguards on on one, run the point, score 37ppg for a month and 35ppg for half a season, drop 62 in a game he also had 2 waved off halfcourt jumpers go in, bang on anyone in his path and handle the ball like hes 5'11''.

Durant is not one bit more unique. If anything hes less because his athletic ability, ball handling, and passing arent nearly as exceptional for their size.

You could find people with similar physical traits and skills to Durant before you could find one like Mcgrady. You just dont find guys moving, jumping, handling the ball and passing like he did at his size.

I remember in the charity game after Katrina he gets into an in game 35-40 foot jumper contest with Arenas. Made 2-3 in a row from approaching halfcourt. Arenas made one. tmac next play came down and shot it from halfcourt and barely missed.

You dont find Tmacs that often. Id never seen one before and ive not seen one since.
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 09-12-2010 at 05:03 PM.

NBA lottery pick

Just stop

Lol a whole difference only only 4%...and that is with people setting up Durant to score.

SmH

AK47DR91
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by 50inchvertical
    It's the #31 most populated city in the US. The difference between Boston and OKC in population is approximately 75k. This whole small market bullshit is so overstated.

For comparison's sake, OKC has more people than Atlanta, Cleveland, Sacramento, Miami, Oakland, Minneapolis, Newark, and Orlando who all have NBA teams.
    Small market isn't defined solely by population.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47DR91
    It'll be a matter of time before Durant is traded to Boston. No way is a future Top 5 player of all-time playing on a small market team like OKC.

I'm hoping sooner than later that he'll be in Celtics uniform.
    Wrong!!!

3-time NBA All-Star

A 6'10 swingman with KG's height and length, with guard-like dribbling and shooting ability, great rebounding ability, good shotblocker, and good defender. If he adds a bit more weight, develops a post game, and improves on his passing ability this guy is gona be unstoppable.

I think his defense is very good.. He is better than any other 21 yr old I have ever seen in terms of all his all around package.. Lebron was more dominant but he had ****** in his game.. This kid really doesn't. He shoots for a high percentage from anywhere on the field and shoots free throws at a high percentage. His defense is very good and he takes over when he needs to.. Durant has just started his journey to greatness.. So happy he IS AMERICAN...

Just stop

I'm happy he was able to average 32 ppg on over 24 FGA. Durant just put up 30 on 20 shots.

With that being said McGrady in 02-3 was better than Durant last season but it's not by a huge margin. Outside of that season Durant was better than T-Mac at any point during his career.
    Very good point. Next thing you know people are gonna start saying that a prime Gilbert Arenas was >>> Dwayne Wade.

Prime T-Mac was a better scorer and playmaker than current Durant, don't get it twisted.

That being said, Durant is still getting better, and hopefully he can stay healthy for a long and lustrous career.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Yearning
    Lol a whole difference only only 4%...and that is with people setting up Durant to score.

SmH
    And what in the hell does that have to do with his uniqueness? Because there was a guy similar in size that means that Durant's game and skillset for his size isn't unique to this league?

OKC 2010-11 NBA Champs

As for McGrady's athleticism...

He had a total of 86 dunks during his best season in 2002-03

Durant last season ranked 3rd in the league with 131 dunks

People give me a break.