Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How do we stamp out flopping in the NBA?

Shit is becoming like soccer.

I don't care if you're joakim Noah or manu ginoboli or whoever.

Its a cancer on the league and I see it becoming more and more accepted.

Need to put a big clamp on this, 5000 dollar fines will not do it...

Default Re: How do we stamp out flopping in the NBA?

You can't, how do you know what is real flopping and what is just a human reaction? People react differently and people scream 'flop!'.
    If I came swinging at your face or a body part without touching you, you'd react to it and it would look like you're flopping because I never touched you.

shhhhhhh

in game penalties for flopping larger fines and one game suspensions after the 3rd flop... now that the league officials will be watching all games live from a remote location they could watch a flop on replay call it in for the game refs to call the foul... make it technical foul

I rule the local playground

Yeah I've said this before.

Strong response - dedicated flopping official who does nothing but watch for flops and nothing else. he will alert the refs at the next dead ball of the flop review. Technical fouls for flops, instant reply on monitors for the fans.

Stamp out flopping response - Flops of the Night on NBA.com. Automatic shaming of floppers that way. If a team is assessed two flops in the same game (even if reviewed after by officials), then they automatically forfeit that game. No player would dare to flop in case his team gets penalized for it afterwards. Flopping will definitely disappear in the playoffs for the forfeit rule would loom large and basketball would be played ironman style. Would be awesome.

Neither of these rule changes would affect suspensions or salaries so the Players' Association would have less to file complaints over.

You can't. Even soccer can't stop it (and they "invented" it and have been doing it far longer than the NBA).

These hoes ain't loyal Nuff Said's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jzek
    You can't. Even soccer can't stop it (and they "invented" it and have been doing it far longer than the NBA).
    Extreme consequences would definitely eliminate flopping. A zero tolerance approach. But for some reason I feel the league will never take that aggressive of an approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Nash
    You can't, how do you know what is real flopping and what is just a human reaction? People react differently and people scream 'flop!'.
    If I came swinging at your face or a body part without touching you, you'd react to it and it would look like you're flopping because I never touched you.
    Here are a few examples that might help you out:

[IMG]

[/IMG]

Something like a tennis challenge system?

Give the coach and/or players like 2 or 3 challenges to argue a call if they think the opposition flopped, and go to a slow motion close up replay. If they're right, technical foul for flopping against the opposition, and the team that argued the call keeps that challenge. If they're wrong and there was legitimate contact, they lose that challenge. If they're out of challenges, they can't argue any call, and any flops by the opposition after that is a fine.

If an individual player gets called for flopping repeatedly, maybe start using suspensions.

terminate the bucks.

Championship or bust Cali Syndicate's Avatar

Have the ref call it right then and there as a flagrant. Opposing team gets free throws and the ball.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Ban LeBron James and James Haren from the league.

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    Something like a tennis challenge system?

Give the coach and/or players like 2 or 3 challenges to argue a call if they think the opposition flopped, and go to a slow motion close up replay. If they're right, technical foul for flopping against the opposition, and the team that argued the call keeps that challenge. If they're wrong and there was legitimate contact, they lose that challenge. If they're out of challenges, they can't argue any call, and any flops by the opposition after that is a fine.

If an individual player gets called for flopping repeatedly, maybe start using suspensions.
    NBA don't want any more stoppage in the games. They can't constantly fine or suspend the stars enough because stars drive this league filled with a limited talent pool unlike the NFL. You can't keep on putting Lebron or CP3 on the hook when they generate you tons of money. Referees can't properly judge a flop because a lot of them are because of contact...just exaggerated and in real time, it's difficult to catch quick movements like that. Players who call out the floppers just make themselves look like whiners or whatever.

See the little "fines" are the NBA acting like they care and can do something about it. They can't. Superstars run this league.

If I could, I'd just throw them floppers who are caught in replays in the penalty box like in hockey. 5 minutes of playing time out the window. You know how awkward and embarrassed Lebron would look in there alone?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nuff Said
    Extreme consequences would definitely eliminate flopping. A zero tolerance approach. But for some reason I feel the league will never take that aggressive of an approach.
    Agreed. 1 strike and you are banned for life.

It's easy. No blood, no foul.

Good High School Starter dreamwarrior's Avatar

each team gets 5 instant replays per game on questionable fouls