Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 06-21-2019, 07:31 AM   #16
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Off-season - Post Conley trade

Quote:
The 6-foot-7 forward averaged 19.4 points and 8.4 rebounds during his senior season. Brantley also has shown the ability to hit the 3-point shot. As a junior, he was 38% from deep on 3.3 attempts per game.

a modern 4!
Xiao Yao You is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:33 AM   #17
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Wright-Foreman averaged 27.1 points as a senior while shooting 42% from 3-point range. He's a dynamic scorer who finished second nationally in scoring average. He worked out for Utah on May 26.

another shooter!
Old 06-21-2019, 07:34 AM   #18
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
"What we really like is his defensive ability, even though he was a main-scoring role at Yale," Zanik said. "Open shot-making, being able to contest and use his length, I think he can be a defender at first & open shot-maker as he develops."

sounds more like a Jazzman
Old 06-21-2019, 07:41 AM   #19
Xiao Yao You

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...ond-round.html

Quote:
“All those guys, we’re really excited to have them and they fit what we’re looking for as far as Jazz players now and going forward,” Zanik said. “Any time that you can add skill, athleticism, high character, high motor, size for the position in a couple of the positions and then special scoring instincts with Justin Wright-Foreman.

sounds like size at one position maybe?

Quote:
Oni, the Ivy League Player of the Year in back-to-back seasons, never visited Utah but was interviewed during the NBA combine after posting 17.1 points and 6.3 boards as a junior.

He must suck. Burke and Exum never visited either

Quote:
“I was gonna go to the G League, but after talking to my agent (Rich Paul) and my mom, we just thought that wasn’t best for me and to sit out a year,” Bazley told the Deseret News during the NBA Draft Combine in May. “It wasn’t really a long process, it was just going through it, weighing out options and seeing the pros and cons, what was good and what wasn’t, and I ended up choosing not to go.”

hope it works out better for you than it did Dante

Quote:
“With our roster, and again we’ll continue to be aggressive, it’s open and there’s a chance that we open a lot of roster spots,” Zanik said. “So, what we tell our guys is come in, come compete, we’ll have a developmental path for you that could be any number of ways.

Not much of a chance
Old 06-21-2019, 07:53 AM   #20
Xiao Yao You

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...s-to-keep.html

Quote:
Brad Rock: Utah Jazz can't afford to let likability and character alone decide which players to keep

yep. It's a basketball team not the Peace Corps

Quote:
Reports say the Jazz aren’t interested in retaining Rubio. The acquisition of Conley said even more.

I'm guessing they'd love him as a backup still but have to give up his cap jold in the trade thankfully!

Quote:
Time was when the Jazz sometimes kept players around well beyond their most productive seasons. (No, we’re not talking about hall of famers; they were always productive.) The late Larry H. Miller would tear up when a trade was made or a player retired. He favored certain personalities because they were still effective, though not at the highest level. He also lobbied for them because he respected and admired them. Emotion was a significant ingredient in personnel decisions.

yep always a problem as we see now with Favors

Quote:
CJ Miles-Dallas, TX
I, for one, did not want to see Crowder traded. I really thought that Grayson Allen could be a starter in Utah in 2-3 years at the PG. But let's face it, Conley is a great pickup if he just scores the ball at more than 20 points a game.

You do run the risk of messing with the team chemistry though with this trade.

Yeah you'd hate to ruin that chemistry and beat Houston instead of getting drubbed by them!

Allen at the point? Don't pg's pass occasionally?
Old 06-21-2019, 08:02 AM   #21
Xiao Yao You

https://youtu.be/1jNH1zxwV4k

Looks like they might be able to run the offense 1 thru 4 with him. His shot wasn't pretty but effective. Especially good in transition Definitely raw. But if he puts in the work could be a nice player

6'9 with shoes and 7' length
Old 06-21-2019, 08:08 AM   #22
Xiao Yao You

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...utah-jazz.html

Quote:
While draftees taken in the 50s don't stick in the NBA all that often, all three selections play at a position of need for the Jazz after they traded Kyle Korver and Jae Crowder. That being the case, it stands to reason they'll get a legitimate shot to compete for roster spots.

maybe. I wouldn't expect much. Be like the draft with Bolomboy on the team. Paige on a two way and Wallace on just a Stars contract.

Oni longer than Exum at about the same height!
Old 06-21-2019, 08:22 AM   #23
Xiao Yao You

https://www.slcdunk.com/nba-draft/20...2019-nba-draft

Quote:
Justin Wright-Foreman averaged 27.1 points, 4.0 rebounds, and 2.9 assists while shooting 42.5% from three his senior year. Tony Jones is right when he says the kid can flat out score. While Jarrell Brantley who the Jazz selected at 53 has a real shot at squeezing out some minutes in Utah’s rotation as they are starved for a stretch four, Justin Wright-Foreman may become the next Jazz player to play in the Jazz’s school of hard knocks—otherwise known as the Salt Lake City Stars.

Would be great if he could make the rotation by the end of the year but I certainly wouldn't expect it right away. Wright Forman didn't excite me that much in the highlites. Just a gunner it appears. We'll see if he has anything else

Quote:
Wright-Foreman climbed back up the radar amid a hectic workout season, during which he auditioned for at least 10 teams, including the local Knicks and Nets. On Wednesday, he visited with the Celtics for a second time.

Boston liked him. That says something!

Quote:
This looks to me like another wasted 2nd round pick on a mediocre point guard who won't make it in the NBA.
Kevin O’Connor was much better at 2nd round picks than Dennis Lindsey has been. Lindsey did hit on Raul Neto, however. But, has never been able to replicate that successful second round pick in how many tries.

Posted by Fesenko for President on Jun 20, 2019 | 11:57 PM

What he hasn't done is be patient with them. Bolomboy can play. Wallace can play. Goss is doing well overseas. An actually stash finally! I thought he learned from the Spurs? Paige was in the league again on a 2 way right? The guy they traded for Diaw looked good too. For a team that is supposed to be so great at developing talent they really haven't

Quote:
Ronnie price had the same numbers out of a small college as this new draft pick.

The counting stats are almost identical, although, Wright-Foreman has better %’s

They also have somewhat similar style of play.

Posted by Anonymous Source on Jun 21, 2019 | 12:05 AM

Price defended
Old 06-21-2019, 08:44 AM   #24
Xiao Yao You

https://www.slcdunk.com/nba-draft/20...eston-miye-oni

Quote:
2019 NBA Draft: Utah Jazz drafted THREE players in the 2nd round, here’s why

Because they could and their well is pretty dry as far as young prospects. Just Bradley and Exum(Mitrou Long and Cavanaugh I guess too) who I still consider just a prospect even though he makes 9 million a year

Quote:
The Utah Jazz when acquiring Mike Conley gave up a key cog in their most effective lineups in Jae Crowder. Without Jae Crowder, the Utah Jazz will be relying heavily on Georges Niang to unlock the key. While they are bullish on Niang’s development, it’s a GIANT step from a few minutes a night to taking over Jae Crowder’s minutes completely.

I don't think he will. Probably more Favors unfortunately. More Royce at the 4 maybe and maybe more Ingles. I would imagine they will sign a vet to throw in the mix too.

Quote:
That’s where the first of the second round picks comes in. Jarrell Brantley has the potential to be a steal at #50 and if he’s not ready, he at least can learn the ropes and begin to be developed. Small ball is here to stay in the NBA and Utah needs to be ready.

Exactly. They needed to be developing a 4 at the very least. Had Bradley at the 5 and Exum at 1,2,3. Also have Goss as a combo. The other two Guys are a bonus

Quote:
Utah also lost a young guard that could fill it up in Grayson Allen—as evidenced by Allen’s 40 point outburst at the end of the season. Justin Wright-Foreman averaged 27 points a game at Hofstra while shooting 42.5% from three. That’s a player I think Utah would like to work with and develop. If Justin Wright-Foreman doesn’t work out, there’s always Miye Oni who is a 6’6 guard with an intriguing wingspan of 6’11 inches and has put on a show in big games. There’s potential.

Oni sounds like he might be their kind of guy. The other one I wouldn't expect as much from

Quote:
The reality is that all of these players are the off-brand versions of what they’re trying to replace. To steal from a Space Balls, “YOU’VE CAPTURED THEIR STUNT DOUBLES!” The MAIN reason we didn’t see Utah going for 1st rounders was the guaranteed money they’d have to give up. Utah can sign a second rounder to a more team friendly contract that may be non-guaranteed. Likewise, that contract will not exact the financial toll that a 1st round contract will which will help Utah with their limited cap space as they approach 2019 NBA Free Agency.

Maybe they couldn't get a 1st?

Quote:
PG: Mike Conley, Dante Exum, Justin Wright-Foreman, Raul Neto

SG: Donovan Mitchell, Royce O’Neale, Miye Oni

SF: Joe Ingles, Jarrell Brantley

PF: Derrick Favors, Georges Niang

C: Rudy Gobert, Tony Bradley

*Non-Guaranteed Contracts in italics

Neto is 4th string now. Should have Goss on their. He is as much a part of the rotation as the 3 they just drafted. Brantley is a 4 it sounds like. Had a good body and decent length

Quote:
Right now the Utah Jazz only have 12 players on their roster with half of them either being second rounders or going completely undrafted. The Utah Jazz still need an infusion of talent so we can expect to see them looking for bargain deals with players on veteran’s minimums and using their Mid Level Exception which will be valued at $4.6MM. If Utah can find a couple veterans who are going ring hunting while finding a quality player for $4.6MM, Utah is set.

As long as Favors is starting and Exum is being counted on they are far from set

Quote:
It does appear that Utah really does believe in guys like Derrick Favors and Dante Exum fitting in with Mike Conley well. Spacing is still an issue in the paint, but Utah is being aggressive as promised. I would be surprised if there were not more trades and fireworks from Justin Zanik and Dennis Lindsey.

I wouldn't. How lone you followed this team?

Quote:
The Jazz totally intend to fill the roster out with second rounders, right? Yuck.

Are Mitrou-Long and Cavanaugh getting full contracts too?

It’s not too late to re-sign Rubio with his bird rights, might be a solid 6th man on this roster.

Posted by ArcticSlicer on Jun 20, 2019 | 11:24 PM

Again how long you followed them? Their 2nd rounders don't usually make the team. Last time they drafted 3. One got some guaranteed money. One on training camp contract and eventually Stars spot and one stashed with the Stars before giving him away for some unknown reason? I'd say Cavanaugh's chance for the roster increased with Crowder going for sure. Long had more of a chance before that but he makes sense too. As long as they add some proven vets around them as well

Quote:
Juwan Morgan was signed by the team too.
Higher chance that one of these guys can make the final roster.

Posted by TheNextGM on Jun 20, 2019 | 11:55 PM

what kind of contract?

Quote:
I think Miye Oni has a legitimate chance to make the Jazz roster.
I think Brantley and Wright-Foreman look more like the latest Jazz wasted second round picks. I’m not sure why the Jazz picked those two players when there were players like Jontay Porter, Luguentz Dort, Louis King, Jordan Bone and Naz Reid available, who would appear to have much more NBA-level talent than either Brantley or Wright-Foreman.

Sometimes I think the Jazz front office wants to show the rest of the NBA how smart they are in finding "hidden gems," rather than just making the obvious pick. That attitude almost seems like a long-term Jazz culture thing. Remember when the Jazz selected Raul Lopez over Tony Parker in the 2001 NBA draft, in order to show the NBA how smart they were in finding a player nobody else knew about? And how did that turn out?

It’s possible that none of Jontay Porter, Luguentz Dort, Louis King and Naz Reid will make the NBA in addition to Jarrell Brantley and Justin Wright-Foreman—but if I were a betting man, I would put my money on Porter, Dort, King and Reid rather than on Brantley or Wright-Foreman, to make an NBA roster.

Posted by Fesenko for President on Jun 21, 2019 | 12:25 AM

like what I see from Brantley. Lopez fit. Parker didn't. Too bad his knees
sucked.

Quote:
Really, really, really going to need another top bench guy
Would love one difference maker and another stabilizer (if they can’t get two difference makers.) Assuming (hope) they’re going to address that in free agency.

Posted by wwwocls12 on Jun 21, 2019 | 12:57 AM

Need a starting 4.

Quote:
I'm really excited about Oni. Had him penciled in at 53. :wink:
Now my pipe-dreams are JaMychael Green with the mid-level and James Ennis III with the bi-annual exception… please.

Posted by BurGi on Jun 21, 2019 | 2:50 AM

Green was never mentioned in the Conley talks in spring and they didn't go for him in FA last time and he signed for 18 mill for two years. He's only 4 million now? Would be nice. Could start. Ennis would be a good pickup too. Only have the one exception though
Old 06-21-2019, 08:48 AM   #25
Xiao Yao You

https://twitter.com/i/status/1141927313044582400

Oni is athletic and long. Might be better than Exum already!
Old 06-21-2019, 08:54 AM   #26
Xiao Yao You

https://www.slcdunk.com/2019/6/20/18...ege-charleston

Quote:
Jarrell Brantley will be on a non-guaranteed contract and will most likely be fighting to make a roster spot. The Utah Jazz are known for finding diamonds in the rough when they comb through undrafted free agents and potential Euroleague targets. That’s how they have found guys like Joe Ingles, Royce O’Neale, and Georges Niang. Past second round draft picks like Vince Edwards and Nigel, Williams-Goss, and Joel Bolomboy have seen their roster spots ceded to undrafted free agents or two way players.

You have no clue what kind of contract he will be on. Let's see them in summer league at least first and see if the Jazz add any vets to the roster. Goss is still Jazz property by the way. Bolomboy should have been kept over Exum as far as I'm concerned. Vince Edwards? He was drafted for the Rockets.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:59 AM   #27
Xiao Yao You

https://fansided.com/2019/06/20/mike...ls-contenders/

Quote:
Conley is headed to a Jazz team that ran more pick-and-rolls last season than all but a handful of teams, which should be a perfect fit for his skill set. This past season, he averaged 0.96 points per possession as a pick-and-roll ball-handler, putting him in the 81st percentile leaguewide. Conversely, Rubio averaged only 0.78 points per possession, which ranked in the 39th percentile.

God I'll miss that nice guy!

Quote:
While Rubio can create for teammates with his dazzling passing ability, he’s a career 32.2 percent shooter from deep and had a horrific 38.8 effective field-goal percentage on his pull-up jumpers this past season. On the other hand, Conley is a career 37.5 percent shooter from downtown and had a 45.5 effective field-goal percentage on pull-ups in 2018-19.

But what a guy!
Old 06-21-2019, 09:11 AM   #28
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Rudy Gobert: I don’t know who started this pink suit thing, but i kinda like it... – via Twitter rudygobert27

gay
Old 06-21-2019, 09:17 AM   #29
Xiao Yao You

https://www.news-leader.com/story/sp...an/1514831001/

Sounds like another 4. What kind of deal though?
Old 06-21-2019, 09:18 AM   #30
Xiao Yao You

https://*********.com/2019/05/24/juw...aft-big-board/
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: