Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 10-19-2018, 03:05 PM   #31
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: 2018-19 regular season. Time to live up to the hype!

https://thejnotes.com/2018/10/19/uta...s-home-opener/

Quote:
Golden State has the best starting lineup in the NBA and they’re admittedly quite deep, however, I believe Utah’s reserve unit does have the edge, especially based on what we’ve seen in preseason and in the first game of the regular season thus far. Utah’s starters will need to play significantly better than they did in Sacramento, but if they can keep it close, then I’m fully confident that the solid reserves will have the firepower to hold Golden State’s bench at bay.

The problem is reserves don't just play against reserves. GS reserves play with a couple all-stars.
Xiao Yao You is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 03:08 PM   #32
Xiao Yao You

Tony Jones: Raul Neto remains out with his hamstring injury. The Jazz are otherwise healthy – via Twitter Tjonesonthenba
Old 10-19-2018, 06:58 PM   #33
Xiao Yao You

Eric Woodyard: The Utah Jazz have issued a single-game ticket fraud alert for tonight’s home opener against the Golden State Warriors at Vivint Arena. Fans are being warned of purchasing fraudulent tickets from unofficial resale sites, according to @UtahJazzPR. – via Twitter E_Woodyard
Old 10-19-2018, 06:59 PM   #34
Xiao Yao You

The Utah Jazz have fired Jon Absey, the man who acted as the Utah Jazz Bear since the mascot’s inception in 1994, The Salt Lake Tribune has learned. It is not clear why Absey was let go, but the team did confirm that he is no longer with the organization. – via Salt Lake Tribune

“The Jazz Bear will continue to be one of the most iconic mascots in the NBA,” Jazz spokesman Frank Zang said Friday afternoon. “Out of respect for its character, which is separate from any employee ever associated with it, we have never discussed its identity. We do not discuss individual personnel matters.” … The Jazz plan to replace Absey. A new Jazz Bear performer will be in uniform for Friday’s home opener against the Golden State Warriors, the team confirmed – via Salt Lake Tribune
Old 10-19-2018, 07:01 PM   #35
Xiao Yao You

Eric Woodyard: Warriors Star Steph Curry on Jazzman Joe Ingles calling himself the best shooter in the league: “That just means in Las Vegas in summer league in 2009 we had 2 of the best shooters of all time on the same team… we got a lot in common.” pic.twitter.com/6GApVJLET0
Old 10-19-2018, 07:03 PM   #36
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Orazio Cauchi: Jazz GM Dennis Lindsey is attending the game between Olympiacos and Olimpia Milano #NBA – via Twitter paxer89

What prospects are on those teams? Goss?
Old 10-19-2018, 07:06 PM   #37
Xiao Yao You

Eric Woodyard: This is too cool. Much respect to the @UtahJazzPR for these cool name markers and cups at the practice facility. 🔥✊🏾
Old 10-19-2018, 07:09 PM   #38
Xiao Yao You

https://basketball.eurobasket.com/te...-SFP-Pireus/93

Yep Goss. Why he's not on the team instead of Neto is beyond me?
Old 10-19-2018, 07:17 PM   #39
Xiao Yao You

Anthony Slater: Warriors lost by 30 and 40 in Utah last season. Steve Kerr: “I hope we can cut it to 20 (tonight).” He then discusses a good early season challenge. pic.twitter.com/gpfBfTua6Z – via Twitter anthonyVslater
Old 10-19-2018, 07:33 PM   #40
Xiao Yao You

http://saltcityhoops.com/favors-gobe...lish-the-roll/

Quote:
Getting the ball to the roll man is hard these days, both based on how teams are choosing to guard the P&R across the league and based on Utah’s specific challenges. Where Favors and Gobert are concerned, opponents know they have two above-average roll finishers on their hands, so the approach has often been to put extra bodies in their path instead and thereby force the ball handler to take tough pull-up jumpers.

The bigger problem is Ingles being the only threat on the perimeter

Quote:
Someone who has seen the league’s next-level tracking data confirmed for me that the Ingles-Favors P&R was the most potent among Utah’s most common combinations last season. That’s true both in terms of the points created for Jingles and Fav directly and for the overall performance of offense on any play that included a P&R between those two. It’s easy to see why: both guys can score in a variety of ways, so defenses bend differently when they’re involved in the core action. They have to respect Jingles’ floater, Favors’ short-roll pull-up jumper, and a dozen different iterations. It’s a dangerous combination, and the Kings can testify to that.

then you are left with no shooters on the perimter
Old 10-19-2018, 07:34 PM   #41
Xiao Yao You

https://www.slcdunk.com/2018/10/19/1...-kickstradomis

Hopefully they be viewed on the bench
Old 10-20-2018, 01:09 PM   #42
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Jerenko crashed the basket and tipped in a shot against his former team with 0.3 seconds remaining to lift the Golden State Warriors to a 124-123 victory over the Jazz on Friday night. “My teammates knew this was a big game for me coming back here. I wanted to win and told them I really wanted this one,” said Jerebko, who couldn’t stop smiling after the victory. – via USA Today Sports

Jonas Jerebko: What a feeling!! Felt great to be back winning in Salt Lake. I got some amazing teammates. Way to fight back and get the W! #dubnation #NBAse����
– via Instagram

Mark Medina: Kevin Durant crediting Jonas Jerrbko for the putback and giving the team intel on the Jazz pic.twitter.com/yTCKzxk0ac – via Twitter MarkG_Medina

Anthony Slater: Steve Kerr on the Jerebko game-winner: “That’s the moment where he (becomes) one of us.” On the Iguodala shirtless celebration: “Andre can do that. I don’t think I can.” pic.twitter.com/Tu5Sbzbxfz – via Twitter anthonyVslater

Anthony Slater: Draymond Green on the Jonas Jerebko tapback winner and ensuing celebration: “Forget the win. Forget the game. My favorite part was him yelling in their bench’s face.” pic.twitter.com/D5Qj4XivlK – via Twitter anthonyVslater

Stephen Curry: “They didn’t want ya Jonas! @jonasjerebko8 #dubnation
View this post on Instagram

“They didn’t want ya Jonas! @jonasjerebko8 #dubnation

A post shared by Wardell Curry (@stephencurry30) on Oct 19, 2018 at 11:39pm PDT

– via Instagram

Klay Thompson: They didn’t want ya Jonas. – via Twitter KlayThompson

Utah’s 81 points in the first half broke the franchise record of 80 points set in December of 1989 against the Warriors. The Jazz also tied an all-time Warriors opponent record for points in a second quarter with 47 and nailed 10 treys, which were the most threes in any quarter in franchise history and one shy of the NBA record, but still fell to 1-1 on the young season after the Warriors’ strong finish. “This is one of the best defensive teams in the league and they’ve got a lot better offensively,” Kerr said. “They put you through a lot of motion, a lot of actions, they’ve got a lot of weapons, they come in with a really deep bench and Mitchell gives them something they haven’t had with playmaking.” – via Deseret News

I said I bet that was a record for a half by the Jazz.

Last edited by Xiao Yao You : 10-20-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:34 PM   #43
Xiao Yao You

https://www.ksl.com/article/46409803...in-home-opener

Quote:
On a team that featured All-Stars like Steph Curry, Klay Thompson and Kevin Durant — not to mention rookie all-everything Donovan Mitchell and the NBA's reigning defensive player of the year Rudy Gobert — the ultimate decider in the Utah Jazz’s home opener against the defending champion Golden State Warriors was a player the Jazz waived late in the offseason.

Mid July is late? Not picking up his option is waiving? You forgot about the part where he was platooned so Hood and Rubio could kill them every night

Quote:
The Jazz have plenty of big games left in the regular season, but will rue a missed opportunity to send a strong message to the league in front of an ESPN-televised audience.

I'd say they made a pretty strong message regardless

Quote:
But Golden State rallied, and it all came down to Jonas Jerebko, a fan-favorite waived by the Jazz in July to save roughly $4 million in salary cap space, according to multiple reports.

He was a fan favorite? Certainly not a coaches favorite. I certainly figured he'd hurt the Jazz going to the competition
Old 10-20-2018, 01:42 PM   #44
Xiao Yao You

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2018/1...iors-analysis/

Quote:
But the Jazz didn’t execute late in the game. In the final three minutes, they scored only two points in six possessions, and those two points came from a fluke rebound that happened to bounce to Jae Crowder.

Going to be tough without spacing
Old 10-20-2018, 01:49 PM   #45
Xiao Yao You

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-nowadays.html

Quote:
Only a few times in Utah has the anticipation been higher than for this team, and never has it been so since the 1990s. That’s unique, because they have little chance to win a championship (don’t tell Rudy). This week’s FiveThirtyEight numbers gave the Jazz a 5 percent possibility at a title. That’s fifth highest among the league’s 30 teams. But the ESPN analytics website gives the Warriors a 48 percent chance.

You never know. Need some roster and line-up changes and some injuries to GS.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: