Page 3 of 84 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: The 2017 off-season...Hayward, Hill, Ingles...?

The Exum fans are apparently ready to can Snyder because of Dante's interview!

I think they are reading way too much in to it. I've been very critical of both for good reason. But Quin proved a lot to me in the playoffs. Dante has proven he's an NBAer probably but certainly a lot to prove as far as being a rotation player or a starter as his fans would like. Show us you are as great as you and your fan club apparently think you are. You've had plenty of opportunity to do so. 1 more year.

http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/09...n-major-focus/

All throughout the 2015-16 season, one of the biggest issues facing the Utah Jazz was their lack of a solid and reliable point guard. With Dante Exum sidelined with the ACL injury, the point duties largely fell to Raul Neto, who earned his spot as the starter for much of the season, and the disappointing Trey Burke, who served as his backup.
    Actually I'd say both were solid and reliable. Burke was a bad fit and Neto is probably better suited to a back-up role for a top team and I guess a bad fit too since He doesn't have 6'8" length or better.

[QUOTE]Then there

Bryant says he also talks regularly with Cavaliers point guard Kyrie Irving, MVP candidates James Harden and Russell Westbrook and Utah Jazz star Gordon Hayward, whom Kobe spent three days training with in Orange County last summer.

[QUOTE]Team president Steve Starks announced Tuesday that the Utah Jazz Summer League will be back for a second year. The event will take place July 3, 5 and 6 at the Huntsman Center at the University of Utah and will feature the same teams that were involved in 2016, with the San Antonio Spurs, Boston Celtics and Philadelphia 76ers joining the Jazz.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...ted-free-agent

Snyder said he has tried to emphasize to the Jazz's free agents that "until they're somewhere else, they're part of us."
    Can't see that including Withey when Lyles dressed ahead of him!

Hill said that Hayward's decision will influence his own free-agent future.
    You think? I doubt the Jazz would sign you or Ingles without him. I could actually see them tanking again despite Rudy already proving it's very hard to do with him on the floor

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44188554&nid...son-interviews

But knowing Ingles wants to stay in Utah (and that the Jazz want him back as well) will definitely decrease interest from other teams.
    Hopefully it brings the price down because after his play in Oakland I don't think they should pay much to have him back at his age.

"If Favors was healthy, why wasn't he much of a contributor in the second round? Why did he seem limited moving up and down the floor? Is this the new Favors?"
    Well that's the fear. His knee has supposedly been bothering him since summer though the brief moment we saw him in pre-season before he was first shut down I thought he looked improved and was expecting big things from him this year. He also mentioned being happy with his role. Maybe he will be with them past this year as Rudy's back-up on a much cheaper deal? Not sure I really like that because he's still too up and down. His ups are a pretty good back-up but unless he starts hitting the 3 consistently they wouldn't want him anyway. Maybe more likely he gets dealt before the season stars if he's not going to get any better than what we've seen though.

Burks does hope, though, that he'll be back to full athleticism by the time next season begins.
    That was the plan last year too! Hopefully he does. He was a good player and one of the funnest to watch play even if the Jazz don't appreciate him

Lyles plans on regaining form and consistency in his jump shot this summer.
    Well if the only thing you are going to do is shoot you better be very good at it. I hope he's going to work on other parts of his game like defending, rebounding and yes passing the ball. Summer League? I know everyone thinks he dominated there last year but all he did was shoot the ball as we saw this season. Would love to see him dominate the summer league by involving his teammates and making everyone around him better however it takes. He should have been in the D-league doing that.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...son-recap.html

a Northwest Division title
    who cares!

[QUOTE] The Stifle Tower

[QUOTE]what? no takers?
    well what I really meant to post was that I can

[QUOTE]Lol I really do think you are right. There is clearly a divide between the two.
    At this point if it

http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/10...-interviews/3/

it made me realize even more how beneficial it is for the younger players to have an experienced and talented guy like him on the team
    too bad the Jazz hadn't figured it out earlier. Might have helped Exum for example

[QUOTE]given how little of an impact he

https://theringer.com/2017-nba-playo...m-d651f847be78

it’d be hard to say the team’s style is a detriment (it’s really not)
    They still have too many bad possessions because of rushed shots at the end of the clock

Should Hill depart and Utah not be able to lure a player on the caliber of Kyle Lowry, the Jazz will be taking a huge step back in the short term
    I'm not sure there is a better fit out there than him at the one but what if they get Mills and Millsap for example? Is that a huge step back?

the Jazz landed three ABC broadcasts over the course of the season (the first time they’d been on an over-the-air network since 2001); I’d bet that number plummets back down to zero if Shelvin Mack is the team’s full-time starter next season.
    I'm guessing they are on national tv a lot more next year if Hayward stays and probably on Christmas. Hill staying or leaving won't change that. I highly doubt Mack will be back regardless though they better have a proven vet other than Neto.

Exum has offered enough in the Warriors series to convince the team that his potential is worth investing in.
    They're already invested for another year. Beyond that he's got a lot more convincing to do

But entrusting him with starting point guard duties, even as he enters his fourth season, is a dicey proposition.
    Would be idiotic! No way he should be ahead of Neto right now.

as Jazz fans will tell you, Dante will soon be entering his first real NBA offseason (his past two were spent in rehabilitation).
    He had a good couple of months after his rookie year including the infamous summer league game

If Game 4 brought any positive to the organization, it’s that Exum exuberantly reclaimed a spot within the team’s core.
    It was one quarter! He sucked in the second half. We've seen it before from him.

They’ve become the model for how quickly a team can ascend from the dregs of the league to get a seat at the table among the elites.
    Really? Let 2 of your best young vets go. Get lucky with Gobert and after he makes you a top 6 team you continue to tank instead of going all in. Only when Hayward is ready bolt and the league has a one time boost in tv money and you have little choice but to spend a little of it do you finally get some vets to surround your youth. Not what I'd call a great plan really. Without Rudy they are Orlando.

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/05/09/ut...rd-george-hill

Utah let Hayward hit restricted free agency and sign an offer sheet with the Hornets for three seasons (with a fourth–year player option) instead of a longer contract with them.
    This doesn't seem like a great model either!

NBA’s rules concerning free agency are tremendously unfair to players who join the league when they are older, as Ingles will be in his 30s before his first time on the truly open market.
    Especially since this will be his 2nd time as a restricted free agent. Didn't know it even worked like that!

If Hayward and Hill return, Utah will need to maximize the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception and sign a big man whether or not they retain Diaw.
    Don't count on it. First off I see Favors starting at the 4 and backing up Rudy until he shows he is his old self and they trade him after the December deadline for off season guys being able to be traded.

Second I'm not sure they will have any money left especially if they pay Ingles. Probably still be paying Burks until he too can show he is back and they can trade him after December. Likely have Johnson backing up Favors though I'd trade him after his 2nd round.

Third, they have Bolomboy and Lyles in line to play especially Bolomboy I'd think after the brief glimpse we had of him. I'd be looking to move Lyles too though I'm not sure there's much of a market after the year he had though he is skilled. Another reason why it made little sense to not at least showcase him in the D-league once he was finally benched for good. Maybe a draft day deal packaged with picks, cap space etc. Might have to hope for a big or 2 coming after December in a Favors/Burks deal.

Willie Reed, Roy Hibbert or Tiago Splitter could back up Gobert.
    They don't shoot the 3! Might as well bring the girlfriend beater back. I could see Diaw being back on a cheaper deal. Though hopefully at the end of the bench not in the rotation

One fascinating possibility would be former Utah Ute Andrew Bogut if he cannot find a suitor offering a larger role.
    They supposedly liked him after his buyout but he doesn't shoot the 3. Might still have Booker if they weren't in love with the 3

After all, Hayward knows all too well how hard it can be to win without a talented point guard and it would make Boston look much better by comparison.
    Than he goes to a team without a rim protector and arguably the best center in the league

Favors’s free agency next summer may put some pressure on the team to move him ahead of time if they are worried about bringing him back.
    Seems likely he is gone regardless. The good news with him if he returns to form he could have a lot of trade value because he can sign an extension and isn't just an expiring deal. Maybe former teammate Earl Watson takes him into cap space and the Jazz get some cheap young assets for him for example?

While Utah could simply cut Diaw to clear extra salary cap or luxury tax room, another team could be very interested in him at his $7.5 million salary for next season, which could create another small asset.
    that would be nice after giving up a potential young player to get him

The other key element which may affect the Jazz this off–season is ownership’s willingness to pay the luxury tax long term. Utah’s crop of talented young players have largely moved from bargain rookie scale deals to more fully valued contracts and that sets the table for very expensive teams moving forward. If their ownership is concerned about those costs, they could seek to mitigate them as early as this summer. Utah can also negotiate extensions with both Rodney Hood and Dante Exum, but that will likely occur after they have a clearer vision of what the rest of their team will look like. Even so, it adds to a truly massive off–season for Lindsey and the Jazz.
    The big thing I've yet to seen addressed is how the legacy deal will affect them possibly paying some tax moving forward. I doubt they will pay any but that could change things as the profits are supposed to go back into the team though those might already be gone with the renovations going on at the arena and practice facility
    Last edited by Xiao Yao You; 05-10-2017 at 05:47 PM.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44198673&nid...-the-jazz-hold

[QUOTE]One of which is the improvement of Dant

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44198227&nid...-rookie-season

"We got to the end of the year where there were some situations where we felt Joel could really help," Snyder said in his end of season interview. "We were prepared to play him, but it didn't turn out that I did."
    Twice he got quality minutes! It's too bad. From what we saw he could have helped them. They should have sent Lyles and Exum to the D-league when they weren't playing and Bolomboy had proved himself down there.

I keep hearing them say he's a center and he did a good job there when he helped bring them back the one night but he's built more like a small forward. He could defend on the perimeter and hit a 3. I'd look to make him more of a 3 small ball 4 unless he can get a lot stronger.