Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops



Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2007, 09:23 PM   #76
Xsatyr
Samurai Chef
 
Xsatyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,941
Default Re: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamRockets
yeah idiot, because hakeem had MJ at SG, stockton at PG and barkley at PF hakeem didn't have a better "team" than robinson so stop making excuses, dude flat out whored the so called "mvp".

I thought Spurs had the best record or at least a better record than the Rockets that year, didn't they?
Xsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:25 PM   #77
HoustonRockets87
I don't get picked last at the park anymore
 
HoustonRockets87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 212
Default Re: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsatyr
I thought Spurs had the best record or at least a better record than the Rockets that year, didn't they?
that really doesn't matter if you don't win the championship.
HoustonRockets87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:26 PM   #78
DreamRockets
Local High School Star
 
DreamRockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Houston, TX.
Posts: 1,003
Default Re: .

not even close, spurs won 62 games and the rockets struggled to win 47 games because contrary to what casual fans think the drexler for thorpe trade was a bad one which disrupted out chemistry, we should have maintained our championship team from '94 intact and we could of had home court advantage in most series.
DreamRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:41 PM   #79
Shep
Decent college freshman
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,549
Default Re: hakeem vs d. robinson

its very close..but david robinson over hakeem olajuwon.

granted, hakeem led his team to the finals in 3 years..but what about all those years he led his team to a .500 record ('87, '88, '89, '90, '92) with a supporting cast similar to the one david had when he was winning 55-60 games every year?
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:42 PM   #80
Xsatyr
Samurai Chef
 
Xsatyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,941
Default Re: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRockets87
that really doesn't matter if you don't win the championship.

Obviously, I was pointing out how can you say Hakeem had a better team.
Xsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:47 PM   #81
DreamRockets
Local High School Star
 
DreamRockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Houston, TX.
Posts: 1,003
Default Re: hakeem vs d. robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep
its very close..but david robinson over hakeem olajuwon.

granted, hakeem led his team to the finals in 3 years..but what about all those years he led his team to a .500 record ('87, '88, '89, '90, '92) with a supporting cast similar to the one david had when he was winning 55-60 games every year?

uh, championship > pretty regular season records, robinson's "dream" season (ironic, isn't it ?) ended up in being publically humilliated and embarassed by the true best center in the league, and by a team that won 15 less games than the spurs.

congrats to david, he was the dirk/webber of the 90's winning a lot of games in the regular season and then failing miserably in the playoffs.

Last edited by DreamRockets : 02-21-2007 at 09:51 PM.
DreamRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:59 PM   #82
Shep
Decent college freshman
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,549
Default Re: hakeem vs d. robinson

Quote:
uh, championship > pretty regular season records,
which is why robinson stepped aside for duncan in '99
Quote:
robinson's "dream" season (ironic, isn't it ?) ended up in being publically humilliated and embarassed by the true best center in the league, and by a team that won 15 less games than the spurs.
uh..that rocket team also defeated the 60 win jazz and the 59 win suns..that team was destined to win the championship
Quote:
congrats to david, he was the dirk/webber of the 90's winning a lot of games in the regular season and then failing miserably in the playoffs.
heh..i'd take winning 60 games and losing deep in the playoffs over scraping into the playoffs as an 8th seed and getting eliminated in the first round or not even making the playoffs ('90)
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:04 PM   #83
DreamRockets
Local High School Star
 
DreamRockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Houston, TX.
Posts: 1,003
Default Re: hakeem vs d. robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep
which is why robinson stepped aside for duncan in '99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep
uh..that rocket team also defeated the 60 win jazz and the 59 win suns..that team was destined to win the championship

and that was because of how good hakeem was, not because of the bunch of overrated role players around him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep
heh..i'd take winning 60 games and losing deep in the playoffs over scraping into the playoffs as an 8th seed and getting eliminated in the first round or not even making the playoffs ('90)

lmao, you are gonna bring up one season ? the spurs didnt win that season so this has no relevance, the rocckets won in 94 and 95, so david had a better season than hakeem in 95 because he won mvp and more games despite of hakeem exposing him as the overrated softie he was in the playoffs ? we are discussing greatness here, hakeem LEAD his team to consecutive championships and embarassed robinson in front of his own fans, we aren't discussing how well robinson rode duncan's coat-tails.
DreamRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:15 AM   #84
Shep
Decent college freshman
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,549
Default Re: hakeem vs d. robinson

Quote:
and that was because of how good hakeem was
you missed the point (hardly surprising). what i was saying is that san antonio wasn't the only 59+ win team houston beat so you can't use the excuse that "wow..they just got beaten by a 47 win team..they must suck", because so did utah and phoenix
Quote:
not because of the bunch of overrated role players around him.
clyde drexler a role player? say no more
Quote:
lmao, you are gonna bring up one season ?
lmao, just like you are?
Quote:
the spurs didnt win that season so this has no relevance
why not?
Quote:
the rocckets won in 94 and 95, so david had a better season than hakeem in 95 because he won mvp and more games despite of hakeem exposing him as the overrated softie he was in the playoffs
olajuwon outplayed robinson in one series. if thats your only argument over why youd chose olajuson's career over robinson's you need to get out of this thread
Quote:
we are discussing greatness here

Quote:
hakeem LEAD his team to consecutive championships
yeh..and without that, he wouldn't be near robinson..but because of it he is very close
Quote:
and embarassed robinson in front of his own fans
didn't get embarassed..simply got outplayed..nothing more
Quote:
we aren't discussing how well robinson rode duncan's coat-tails.
where'd you get the impression that i was? :
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:52 AM   #85
Twoston Rockets
Learning to shoot layups
 
Twoston Rockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 87
Default Re: hakeem vs d. robinson

I remember when the 95 Western Conference finals opened, it was dubbed the I-10 texas shootout. Robinson was presented the MVP trophy in San Antonio and if you watched the opening game, you could tell Olajuwon was pissed as sh*t. He took it as an insult because he knew he shouldve been MVP that year. San Antonio did have the best record in the league, and MVP honors usually goto the best player on the best team. Olajuwon just had too many moves in his arsenal, Robinson even said " I think I guarded him pretty well." Hakeem simply outplayed the Admiral.
Twoston Rockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:10 AM   #86
Shep
Decent college freshman
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,549
Default Re: hakeem vs d. robinson

Quote:
He took it as an insult because he knew he shouldve been MVP that year.
david robinson rightfully won the mvp that year. there was nobody near him, infact it was the easiest choice of mvp since 1986 (larry over magic). olajuwon wasn't even second..i'd give it to shaquille o'neal, karl malone, and john stockton before him. granted hakeem had slightly better stats, but he missed 10 games, robinson missed one. hakeem had the better supporting player (drexler over rodman), yet won 15 games less. there's no argument
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:39 AM   #87
SsKSpurs21
National High School Star
 
SsKSpurs21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Antonio GO SPURS GO!
Posts: 2,367
Default Re: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamRockets
yeah idiot, because hakeem had MJ at SG, stockton at PG and barkley at PF the likes of horry, casseell, kenny smith, herrera, mad max, etc were nothing but role players, the equivalents of avery, elliot, rodman and del negro in san antonio, hakeem didn't have a better "team" than robinson so stop making excuses, dude flat out whored the so called "mvp".

no need to get all excited. its just a message board. Horry was an up and coming youngster. cassell was a leader and kenny smith was also no slouch. you are also forgeting Mario Elie as well as clyde drexler (i think he was on the team at that time)...even if he wasnt, the rockets had a solid young nucleus...but i dont want to argue about the teams...lets focus on the Drob vs Hakeem.

go to basketball-reference.com and look at compare their season totals. Robinson peaked earlier than Hakeem. After Robinsons 1995 season, his numbers began to decline while Hakeems started to raise.

The analogy I made still holds true with KG/DRob Duncan/Hakeem. I am NOT here denying the fact that Hakeem was the better player, what i saying is that the gap was closer than you are making it out to be.

People on this board claim that KG is better than Duncan...all i was saying is that if you believe this then you must also believe that DRob was better than Hakeem, because Hakeem and DRob are THIS GENERATIONS Duncan and KG.

KG got his in the regular season, but when it came to the playoffs Duncan owned...same with how DRob got his in the regular season but Hakeem got his when it really mattered and that was the playoffs.
SsKSpurs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:06 AM   #88
billybadass
I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 269
Default Re: hakeem vs d. robinson

david robinson got punked. i only wish to see kobe get owned like that. just to see how his fans would react
billybadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:57 AM   #89
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS
 
RainierBeachPoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: seattle
Posts: 6,497
Default Re: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SsKSpurs21
no need to get all excited. its just a message board. Horry was an up and coming youngster. cassell was a leader and kenny smith was also no slouch. you are also forgeting Mario Elie as well as clyde drexler (i think he was on the team at that time)...even if he wasnt, the rockets had a solid young nucleus...but i dont want to argue about the teams...lets focus on the Drob vs Hakeem.

go to basketball-reference.com and look at compare their season totals. Robinson peaked earlier than Hakeem. After Robinsons 1995 season, his numbers began to decline while Hakeems started to raise.


agreed-- and this is the main reason i originally started this thread back in sept

i had followed both of them for their whole careers; people put too much emphasis on that one series and forget how simply awesome drob was in his own right
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:42 AM   #90
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,083
Default Re: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamRockets
not even close, spurs won 62 games and the rockets struggled to win 47 games because contrary to what casual fans think the drexler for thorpe trade was a bad one which disrupted out chemistry, we should have maintained our championship team from '94 intact and we could of had home court advantage in most series.
not sure you can blame that one on clyde. i'm sure the chemistry thing might have lost you a game here or there, but the rockets weren't on schedule to have home court that year. the team was on a 52 win pace (i just checked) but they had a very tough schedule over their last 36 games (the games w/ clyde) including multiple matchups with the jazz, sonics, spurs, and suns as well as individual matchups against the magic and knicks. that's pretty rough. other than a streaking chicago club and the pacers you guys had to deal with all the tough opponents the league had to throw at you that season stacked up late in the game. that team had a ton of grit though and really pulled it together by the playoffs. nice job by rudy t getting clyde involved by that point.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:




Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:32 AM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

InsideHoops.com Home

NBA Rumors

NBA Daily Roundup

NBA Scores

NBA Stats

NBA Videos

NBA Free Agents

Fantasy Basketball

Basketball Sneakers

Search Site

STAY CONNECTED
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube














Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy