Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    College superstar VengefulAngel's Avatar

Default Re: If you could watch one match up between generation's what would it be?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.J4ever
    Did the OP mention that it was an individual match up? If not, I would have liked to see team match ups.

Like the old NY Nets(ABA Champion 1976) vs. Bos(NBA Champs1976) for a title showdown or Artis Gilmore's Kentucky Colonels(ABA) vs. Rick Barry's Warrior(NBA) for a 1975 title showdown.
    Ooh I didn't think about team match ups, that would be awesome.

National High School Star Jlamb47's Avatar

Default Re: If you could watch one match up between generation's what would it be?

Kobe Vs Jordan
    Lebron Vs Larry
    Shaq Vs Hakeem
    Iverson Vs Westbrook
    Isiah Thomas Vs Chris Paul
    Tim Duncan Vs Hakeem
    Garnett Vs Mailman
    Melo Vs Wilkins <- IDK why
    Durant Vs Dr. J
    Durant Vs Larry
    Davis Vs Robinson
    Kidd Vs Magic
    Paul George vs Scottie Pippen

but if i had to pick one itl be kobe vs jordan
    Last edited by Jlamb47; 12-30-2014 at 10:27 AM.

1983 76ers vs. 1967 76ers---Moses and Doc vs. Wilt

Sabonis vs Kareem

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    A prime Shaq vs a prime Hakeem
    This pretty much happened. 22 year old Shaq was still a beast and should be considered part of his prime. Most people consider Hakeem peaked around 93-95, so we essentially saw peak Hakeem vs pre-peak Shaq.

Putting aside our biases (we don't need another one of 'those' arguments'), opinions differ on who outplayed who. I think it's close enough that I wouldn't mind agreeing it was basically a wash for the sake of argument - both dominated and the Rockets overall outplayed the Magic.

For peak Shaq vs peak Hakeem, I don't think there's any stopping peak Shaq. Just too big and physical. Shaq couldn't stop Hakeem, but Shaq was just more dominant offensively even with Hakeem's GOAT level defense. Outside of Wilt (and Kareem?) perhaps, I don't see how anyone in history could go toe to toe with 00 Shaq.

Quote Originally Posted by Jlamb47
    but if i had to pick one itl be kobe vs jordan
    They played each other 8 times:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...1&p2=jordami01

Quote Originally Posted by K Xerxes
    This pretty much happened. 22 year old Shaq was still a beast and should be considered part of his prime. Most people consider Hakeem peaked around 93-95, so we essentially saw peak Hakeem vs pre-peak Shaq.

Putting aside our biases (we don't need another one of 'those' arguments'), opinions differ on who outplayed who. I think it's close enough that I wouldn't mind agreeing it was basically a wash for the sake of argument - both dominated and the Rockets overall outplayed the Magic.

For peak Shaq vs peak Hakeem, I don't think there's any stopping peak Shaq. Just too big and physical. Shaq couldn't stop Hakeem, but Shaq was just more dominant offensively even with Hakeem's GOAT level defense. Outside of Wilt (and Kareem?) perhaps, I don't see how anyone in history could go toe to toe with 00 Shaq.
    100% agreed. A 22 year old Shaq was actually more athletic than a 2000, 340 lb Shaq. He wasn't as physically dominant, but he could do other things that a 2000 Shaq couldn't.

And a peak Hakeem was a great center. I have never said otherwise. A better defensive player, maybe even a better rebounder (although a motivated Shaq was actually a very good rebounder...he outrebounded Mutombo and Hakeem in his Finals matchups), and nearly as good offensively.

2000 Shaq vs any team from the 80s.

National High School Star Jlamb47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WillC
    Yes im aware of all those games but im saying each in their primes.

National High School Star

easy

prime shaq eating alive chambermaid

prime kobe versus prime.jordan

Quote Originally Posted by Jlamb47
    Yes im aware of all those games but im saying each in their primes.
    You'll also presumably be aware that Karl Malone and Kevin Garnett faced each other 32 times in the regular season and 6 times in the playoffs.

Celtics '86 vs Bulls '96

Saw a basketball once

Wilt Chamberlain's offense vs "Twin Towers" Duncan's and Robinson's defense - Whenever I read posts from people trying to defend Wilt beasting on midgets. I never seen them list any frontline, just individual players. So I've been wondering lately how would Wilt do versus quality defensive frontline.

Quote Originally Posted by Viriilink
    Wilt Chamberlain's offense vs "Twin Towers" Duncan's and Robinson's defense - Whenever I read posts from people trying to defend Wilt beasting on midgets. I never seen them list any frontline, just individual players. So I've been wondering lately how would Wilt do versus quality defensive frontline.
    A mid-60's Chamberlain just CRUSHED the tandem of Bellamy and Reed.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Jordan on offense vs Jimmy Butler/Tony Allen

Prime Grant Hill/Lebron

1972-73 Knicks vs 2013-14 Spurs

Derrick Rose/Isiah Thomas "Southside vs Westside"