Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Top 5 In The Game

Quote Originally Posted by upside24
    Doesn't get much easier than this. List your top 5 best players in the NBA.

I've got:

LeBron
    Durant (I know it's early but I think he is still 2)
    Curry
    AD
    Duncan

My defense for Duncan is he is still elite despite his age and reduced minutes. With Duncan you have to watch games and see how he always seems to make the right plays (IQ off the charts), still is a great rebounder and best post scorer (IMO, DMC is right there with him) in the NBA and he just flat out knows how to win games.

Like LeBron, Magic and Bird he knows and understands the game in a way that few players ever had. I may get bashed for picking Duncan but his impact is undeniable.
    I agree Duncan is still elite. And Duncan knew he had two HOFers in Tony and Manu who could pick up his scoring slack. He also know knew Pop is a genius who will pick the perfect role players, and at least one of them (Leonard at this point) would break out and become an All Star kind of player.

From there, Timmy KNEW he could scale back and dominate in spurts. He wasn't worried about being the best player on the team. He's ALREADY the GOAT PF with five rings. So he has nothing to prove. He paces himself to ENSURE he has enough left to contribute big time in terms of low post scoring, rebounding, defense, and leadership.

With that said, I can't put Timmy in the top five in the L at this point. BUT he still has enough in the tank to turn back the clock give u vintage Timmy when he needs to do it. Or if he wants to prove a point. He's just not as consistent with it.

With what he brings though, he's still an All Star type big man. And still one of the top ten PF's or C's in the L. Depending on what u list him as. Most of his contemporaries like KG, Vince, Webber, Sheed, T-Mac, AI, Kidd, Nash, Ray, etc. are either out of the league or aren't All Stars anymore. Timmy, Dirk, and Kobe are still going strong and are still All Star kind of players.

Davis
    Durant
    LeBron
    Paul
    Curry

HM to Cousins and Gasol.

Btw, OP, I think Duncan has/had a better understanding of the game than LeBron and maybe Paul. Duncan's defensive IQ is probably the best I've ever seen.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    I felt that the last few years the consensus was

1. LeBron
    2. Durant
    3. Paul
    that was before 2014, when lebron-ball was figured out (it was figured out in 2013 really).

the 2014 Finals took lebron out of the lofty heights of the immortals and mount rushmore, and brought him back to earth with the regular folk.

there is a very good chance he ends his career with 2 championships.

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    Davis
    Durant
    LeBron
    Paul
    Curry

HM to Cousins and Gasol.

Btw, OP, I think Duncan has/had a better understanding of the game than LeBron and maybe Paul. Duncan's defensive IQ is probably the best I've ever seen.
    Those are my top five as well. That lineup MIGHT BE the starting lineup for the US Olympic team in a couple of years. Duncan's IQ doesn't take a backseat to anybody. But Bron and CP3 are on his IQ level in my opinion in terms of utilizing it for the sake of being great team players.

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    Davis
    Durant
    LeBron
    Paul
    Curry

HM to Cousins and Gasol.

He really is a gifted player both mentally and skill wise which he worked harder than I can probably imagine to develop. He is just such a pleasure to watch.

I'm glad someone else sees the genius of Duncan. Magic and Bird had it too. It's part of what makes the all timers so great.

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    I agree Duncan is still elite. And Duncan knew he had two HOFers in Tony and Manu who could pick up his scoring slack. He also know knew Pop is a genius who will pick the perfect role players, and at least one of them (Leonard at this point) would break out and become an All Star kind of player.

From there, Timmy KNEW he could scale back and dominate in spurts. He wasn't worried about being the best player on the team. He's ALREADY the GOAT PF with five rings. So he has nothing to prove. He paces himself to ENSURE he has enough left to contribute big time in terms of low post scoring, rebounding, defense, and leadership.

With that said, I can't put Timmy in the top five in the L at this point. BUT he still has enough in the tank to turn back the clock give u vintage Timmy when he needs to do it. Or if he wants to prove a point. He's just not as consistent with it.

With what he brings though, he's still an All Star type big man. And still one of the top ten PF's or C's in the L. Depending on what u list him as. Most of his contemporaries like KG, Vince, Webber, Sheed, T-Mac, AI, Kidd, Nash, Ray, etc. are either out of the league or aren't All Stars anymore. Timmy, Dirk, and Kobe are still going strong and are still All Star kind of players.
    I agree with the entire post.

Especially the consistency part. Once the greats age those monster games become less and less frequent.

I'm just glad Pop is mindful of Timmy's minutes and back to backs resting his players when he sees fit. I wonder as many years of Duncan as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by upside24
    So you deny that Duncan understands the game better than most of the NBA with the exception of LeBron and CP3 (I know I'm forgetting some)? He knows the right way to play and finds ways to get wins.

I just didn't want you to think I was casually applying basketball IQ to Duncan as another compliment to him. I honestly think he is a great basketball mind and understanding the nuances of the game is essential for a great like him.

I don't mind you disagree with him I expected many too. I have CP3 6th on my list because he is a highly skilled intelligent guard who manages a game and knows when it's time to assert himself and do whatever is needed of him for his team to win be it scoring or defense or something else.
    I don't deny his bbiq.

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    I don't deny his bbiq.
    Thought that may have come off harsh, didn't mean for it to. I know you didn't deny it.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Durant
    Davis
    LeBron
    Curry
    Westbrook

Good college starter

This year so far

1. Curry
    2. Davis