Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Al Jefferson's post moves are the best in NBA history

big al definitely has better post moves than timmy. timmy's a better player of course, offensively and defensively, but big al definitely has more variety and effective shots. we can argue efficiency vs aesthetics or quantity of unique scoring moves, but i think big al is actually really efficient in iso situations, maybe even moreso than shaq but i don't remember the numbers. once big al gets you one on one on the left block, it's pretty much over. teams double big al a lot. he just doesn't get any points on alleyoops or pnrs like a lot of other bigs do. that's just how the hornets offense is and maybe because big al gets tired fast.

watch big al play for a whole game and look how often the hornets go to him in iso situations, it's more than probably any other player in the league. every opposing defense knows what's coming and they still can't stop him. he's getting his 20 points at around 50% every night based strictly on isos, no easy buckets

Misleading title.

Quote Originally Posted by Quizno
    big al definitely has better post moves than timmy. timmy's a better player of course, offensively and defensively, but big al definitely has more variety and effective shots. we can argue efficiency vs aesthetics or quantity of unique scoring moves, but i think big al is actually really efficient in iso situations, maybe even moreso than shaq but i don't remember the numbers. once big al gets you one on one on the left block, it's pretty much over. teams double big al a lot. he just doesn't get any points on alleyoops or pnrs like a lot of other bigs do. that's just how the hornets offense is and maybe because big al gets tired fast.

watch big al play for a whole game and look how often the hornets go to him in iso situations, it's more than probably any other player in the league. every opposing defense knows what's coming and they still can't stop him. he's getting his 20 points at around 50% every night based strictly on isos, no easy buckets
    And yet it's not leading to wins, nor has it at any point in his career really.

The problem is that dumping the ball in to somebody on the low post only works well if the big in question is a willing and good passer. Somebody who demands a double team, but can then find the open cutter or shooter when doubled. Al Jefferson has never been able to do that, which is why even though he can give you 20ppg on 50% shooting, he's not all that valuable.

Guys like Duncan or Shaq were great passers. If you have a big like that who has a good post game but can also pass, you can run the whole offense through him. Pau Gasol is another example of that. If your big can't pass, then you're not really running an offense, you're just dumping it in and hoping he scores. That's the reason that the Bobcats offense blows chunks even with an efficient 20ppg big man leading the way for them.

Al's defense also drags him down, but that's not the point here.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hawksdogsbraves
    And yet it's not leading to wins, nor has it at any point in his career really.

The problem is that dumping the ball in to somebody on the low post only works well if the big in question is a willing and good passer. Somebody who demands a double team, but can then find the open cutter or shooter when doubled. Al Jefferson has never been able to do that, which is why even though he can give you 20ppg on 50% shooting, he's not all that valuable.

Guys like Duncan or Shaq were great passers. If you have a big like that who has a good post game but can also pass, you can run the whole offense through him. Pau Gasol is another example of that. If your big can't pass, then you're not really running an offense, you're just dumping it in and hoping he scores. That's the reason that the Bobcats offense blows chunks even with an efficient 20ppg big man leading the way for them.

Al's defense also drags him down, but that's not the point here.
    Couldn't have said it better myself

Dude is a black hole on offense and one of the worst defenders atm.

I rule the local playground

Dwight honorable mention?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza
    Dwight honorable mention?

College superstar

Even better than Shaq and Hakeem the Dream? SMH

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MiseryCityTexas
    Even better than Shaq and Hakeem the Dream? SMH
    Both are way better, I admit my wrong.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman
    Both are way better, I admit my wrong.

In today's game though, hell yeah he is one of the best.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MiseryCityTexas
    In today's game though, hell yeah he is one of the best.
    His shot fake is pure filth.

College superstar

I remember when Al dropped 40 on prime Yao Ming.