Default Glide Drexler - 38 points vs Sixers 1991 (dunk on Manute Mol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQSu_JxItuI

Insane dunk over Bol (RIP)... This dude had it all - great passing, good midrange game, and an above average defender. Clutch too, as seen in the video.

Default Re: Glide Drexler - 38 points vs Sixers 1991 (dunk on Manute Mol)

You posted that already in the OTC. Anything else you wanted to share or are you strictly reduced to posting stupid, enlarged and unnecessary pics?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    You posted that already in the OTC. Anything else you wanted to share or are you strictly reduced to posting stupid, enlarged and unnecessary pics?
    Manute Mol doe

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

something about his game reminds me of Bron.

It's the way that they both just put their heads down like running backs and attack. Either jumper or drive with little variety in between.

Hate to bring in the comparisons, but MJ and Kobe are more refined and have more variety in their scoring arsenal.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    something about his game reminds me of Bron.

It's the way that they both just put their heads down like running backs and attack. Either jumper or drive with little variety in between.

Hate to bring in the comparisons, but MJ and Kobe are more refined and have more variety in their scoring arsenal.
    Generally speaking, Clyde's was NOT on the level of a Kobe or even MJ, but he definitely had a developed midrange game - one where he could consistently go to if lanes were closed and the 3PT was defended well. His all-around exploits may resemble LeBron's more, but I don't think its fair to say he didn't have an in-between game.

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    Clyde's jumper generally speaking, was NOT on the level of a Kobe or even MJ, but he still had a developed midrange game where he could consistently go to if lanes were closed and the 3PT was defended. His all-around exploits may resemble more LeBron than those guys, but I don't its fair to say he didn't have an in-between game.
    I mis worded.

I didn't mean to say he didn't have an in between game, it just wasn't as refined as MJ or Bean. He did have a better mid game then Bron, but it was something almost every player in that era had. I just saw less refinement in his game then MJ and Bean.

Or perhaps Im utterly wrong and it appears to be that way cause his game in general was simply UGLY. It was just awkward to watch him play, his j was ugly, the way he attacked was ugly, even the way he jumped just appeared awkward (even tho he could jump high as shit perhaps higher than MJ). Maybe that made it appear as tho he wasn't as refined (by refined I mean, footwork, balance, ability to create shot from any angle/position, etc.etc.)

I mis worded.

I didn't mean to say he didn't have an in between game, it just wasn't as refined as MJ or Bean. He did have a better mid game then Bron, but it was something almost every player in that era had. I just saw less refinement in his game then MJ and Bean.

Or perhaps Im utterly wrong and it appears to be that way cause his game in general was simply UGLY. It was just awkward to watch him play, his j was ugly, the way he attacked was ugly, even the way he jumped just appeared awkward (even tho he could jump high as shit perhaps higher than MJ). Maybe that made it appear as tho he wasn't as refined (by refined I mean, footwork, balance, ability to create shot from any angle/position, etc.etc.)
    Looking at the posts in the comment section, I don't think you're wrong in feeling that way. Personally I find Glide's game smooth - and no worse looking than Dominique or Iceman Gervin's (whom both had MORE aesthetic skills than LeBron).

Glide!

I mis worded.

I think it's just that it's different. Not awkward.

MJ and his brand popularity are responsible for creating a homogeneous generation of basketball players. Players, including Kobe, that all wanted to be/play "like Mike". So we see his body movements all the time. We think, that's exactly how say, a turnaround jump shot should look. But there's more than one way to skin a cat and the Jordan way is not the only, nor even the guarantee'd best way to play the game, as many players had different tools to work with.

Watch Magic, watch Bird, watch Clyde, watch any other pre-"Like-Mike" bona fide super stars. If you are accustomed to watching Jordan, and the era's that followed full of wings and forwards that wanted to emulate his movements, then they will all have interestingly different, or foreign looking movements in their games. It might be the way they lean on their pivot foot, or dribble the ball, it isn't like how Mike did (which is how everyone tries to do it today) so it looks "awkward". Their games are proven effective though. The MJ way isn't the only way to be a superstar in the NBA.

I personally enjoy watching the variety of ways it is possible to dominate the game of basketball. I'm used to seeing players that didn't emulate MJ's movements though, as I study guys like Oscar, West, and Baylor. Actually I see in guys like Clyde, the ways he is actually emulating those older generation guys. MJ of course also emulated them, but what he borrowed and ran with is of course slightly different than what his contemporaries borrowed and ran with. Every player takes what works for them, and runs with it, but what works for one player doesn't always work for another so they end up looking a bit different. Most of the MJ era players were guys who watched Dr. J, Pete Maravich, Walt Frazier, Oscar, West, Baylor etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW

MJ and his brand popularity are responsible for creating a homogeneous generation of basketball players. Players, including Kobe, that all wanted to be/play "like Mike". So we see his body movements all the time. We think, that's exactly how say, a turnaround jump shot should look. But there's more than one way to skin a cat and the Jordan way is not the only, nor even the guarantee'd best way to play the game, as many players had different tools to work with.

Watch Magic, watch Bird, watch Clyde, watch any other pre-"Like-Mike" bona fide super stars. If you are accustomed to watching Jordan, and the era's that followed full of wings and forwards that wanted to emulate his movements, then they will all have interestingly different, or foreign looking movements in their games. It might be the way they lean on their pivot foot, or dribble the ball, it isn't like how Mike did (which is how everyone tries to do it today) so it looks "awkward". Their games are proven effective though. The MJ way isn't the only way to be a superstar in the NBA.

I personally enjoy watching the variety of ways it is possible to dominate the game of basketball. I'm used to seeing players that didn't emulate MJ's movements though, as I study guys like Oscar, West, and Baylor. Actually I see in guys like Clyde, the ways he is actually emulating those older generation guys. MJ of course also emulated them, but what he borrowed and ran with is of course slightly different than what his contemporaries borrowed and ran with. Every player takes what works for them, and runs with it, but what works for one player doesn't always work for another so they end up looking a bit different. Most of the MJ era players were guys who watched Dr. J, Pete Maravich, Walt Frazier, Oscar, West, Baylor etc.
    I don't disagree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW

Great post! I think what made MJ standout was the fact that he was a freak athletic player who had the ALL AROUND SKILL level and fundamentals of the guys like West, Big O, and Hondo. I think the other freak athletes of Jordan's era more or less looked at Dr. J, Thompson, Baylor, or Connie Hawkins and patterned their games. MJ looked at the guys like West and Big O AS WELL as the guys like Doc and Thompson.

From there MJ combined it all into one with his own style and flair. Even scoring skillset wise, I saw elements of George Gervin in MJ's game. Both guys were EPIC at the midrange game, postups, slashing, and the trick bag of layups.

In addition at 6'6 MJ could play and defend PG, SG, and SF all well. With the capabilities of getting 30+ points, 8 rebounds, and 8 assists in any given night. So his size and all around ability had elements in common with what the Big O originated. While Drexler was capable of similar all around ability, he wasn't the technician MJ or Big O were in terms of the fundamental aspects. U can watch Clyde tell he was more Dr. J like in his technical-fundamental makeup.
    Last edited by bizil; 12-29-2014 at 03:12 PM.