Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Who is the best player in your local court?

Describe his game, how tall is he and what makes him the best in your opinion?

Default Re: Who is the best player in your local court?

Probably this chubby 5'10-5'11 guy with crazy handles + lethal 3 pointer.

He can basically get any shot he wants, and if you press up on him you either risk getting blown by or him stepping even further back. Dude is such an ass he will take a 30 footer to finish a game, just because he can and has the green light. You can call it swag, but I think he's just trying to embarrass the opposition. But I can guard him pretty well, as long as I have big man help behind me. He can't blow by me and I cover his 3 pointers well. He just weighs almost 60-70 lbs more than me so he starts getting cheesy and just bowling me over (you can't call offensive foul, people will laugh at you )

TL;DR
    He can shoot and has unlimited range, he can drive, he can post, and has sick handles. Plus he's hefty and deceptively quick.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99

He can basically get any shot he wants, and if you press up on him you either risk getting blown by or him stepping even further back. Dude is such an ass he will take a 30 footer to finish a game, just because he can and has the green light. You can call it swag, but I think he's just trying to embarrass the opposition. But I can guard him pretty well, as long as I have big man help behind me. He can't blow by me and I cover his 3 pointers well. He just weighs almost 60-70 lbs more than me so he starts getting cheesy and just bowling me over (you can't call offensive foul, people will laugh at you )

TL;DR
    He can shoot and has unlimited range, he can drive, he can post, and has sick handles. Plus he's hefty and deceptively quick.
    It's mini-fat LeBron! How can someone have a mix like that in their game?

TL;DR
    How the hell are you not able to tire his fat ass out? Keep moving and no way he has energy to keep up unless you guys play to 7 or half court lol!

NBA Superstar

I'm not sure if there's a clear cut best player who's a regular at my local court. There's not a single regular who's, like, a D-I stunner who just always runs everyone. But in terms of regularity, as terrible as it may sound to say, I might be the one who comes closest to "running" that court. There's a lot of folks who are comparable to me in skill (or better) who show up from time to time, but my familiarity with the court itself, willingness to play hard in pickup ball and their infrequent attendance often seems to give me an advantage.

I wish I could say our courts were always flowing with a stream of D-I and D-II player honing their craft, but that's not reality for my town. It's a pretty healthy mix of everything from D-III & NAIA types, to former high school players, to current high school players, to barefoot guys in Camo hats smoking in transition.

It seems to be contagious one way or the other. It's almost like gang turf. There's been years where if I get my boys to come out consistently early on, it sets a competitive tone and drives away the lower levels. But if the jean short crowd stakes a claim early, sometimes better players are reluctant. I've kind of been there through it all.

TL;DR I'm 6'3'', have a solid jumper, and run & attack like crazy, which works very well in a non-formal basketball setting, because often, people aren't as willing to try to keep up.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 02-28-2014 at 09:14 PM.

Probably me, but I need to have teammates that fit my style. One has to be a low post threat/rebounder and the other slasher who can hit occasional 3 pointer. They don't have to be really good, but those need to be their strengths.

We play halfcourt 3v3.

Learning to shoot layups

At least of the people that I play with, we play at a gym most of the time so not always there, I'd say my brother is best overall and in terms of taking over a game making his team better, the most physically dominate player is a guy who is like 6 3 but like 280-320 so he's pretty big and can kinda go through people, but he fouls all the time and is a real big shot jacker, thats why I say my brother is the best because he is willing to pass and plays defense instead of standing around like most people we play with. I would say were I rank is top 5, only because I don't have a jump shot but its developing one so thats good, and I am really skinny like 6' tall and weigh 125 last I measured, but most of the time I really try on defense and can affect pretty much anyones shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade8780
    I think he used to be skinnier but he got meaty and out of shape. I thought my time was gonna come... but he is still damn good and can shoot! ARGH! He can pass really well too but he prefers to score, so it's not like you can just put 2 guys on him every time. But like I said, I do a pretty good job on him. He can't really cover me either because I shoot 2s, but he starts playing overly physical if I keep burning him.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight_Ballin
    How the hell are you not able to tire his fat ass out? Keep moving and no way he has energy to keep up unless you guys play to 7 or half court lol!
    I do tire him out, especially on a hot day in the summer... unfortunately it wears me down too. Dude has more than 50 lbs on me. Using all my strength to prevent him from bowling me over takes a toll

We usually play half court to 21. Even in full court, we were killing him but he just got hot in the end and hit like literally a 30 footer to win the game... stupid as hell shot but he made it

Go Spurs Go

race?

our local legend was this 6'2 half mexican half black dude .... weighed 200 but very quick and INSANE handles and INSANE vert... dont know if its 40+ but he routinely did windmills and alleyoops in games..

dude never played D, but never really had to.. but man i remember going to the park as a 15 yr old and mirin so hard.. his combo of athleticism and handles was something fierce.. very steve francis-esque ...

i heard he was gonna play in turkey or somethin but it never happened...

Local High School Star

TL;DR
    Sounds like Raymond Felton

College superstar

TL;DR
    I knew a guy like that in Tennessee. Kid named Joe... deceptive athlete, and was usually one of the best on the court.

College superstar

Down in TN the best player was this guy that was a Jehovah's Witness. I only mention the religion because he never played a minute of organized ball... apparently it was/is against his religion. I heard his brother was the better of the two, but I never saw him play.

Anyway, kid was 6'2, black, mediocre (for his talent level) shot, but ridiculous handles and athleticism. After he got warmed up he could do FT line dunks. He was maybe 20-23 when I played there, and the local HS star (led his team to States 3 years in a row) and he had some incredible battles.

Up in NY, there is no "local" court. But when I was in college there were 5-10 of us that were all similar; just depended on whose shot was falling. I played the most consistent D but had the least consistent shot, and we all ranged to this other kid that had 30' range, was more consistent, but way too much of a showboat and rarely played D.

Back at uni, there was this 35 year old chinese guy who at until this day is the best player I've played and guarded. He's about 5'7 - 5'8. The thing that's so good about him is that, of course he knows his fundamentals such as mid range shooting, dribbling effectively on both hands, rebounding, passing and pestering defence.

But the main thing that's so good about this guy is his competitiveness, clutchness and leadership. He always seemed to make the big shots and he really knows how to lead and direct the offence. He's a really tough competitor, and he makes the most of his team mates. Guarding him was such a challenge, because he's got so much weapons. He doesn't take 3's tho, which makes me wonder how he would go if we have put a zone defence instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade8780
    Sounds more like James Harden.

This dude that used to go to my school. 5'8 175, but man, he could do it all. His post game was otherworldly. He mirrored his game after Kobe and loved to use the dreamshake. But what really separated him was his defense.

We played 1 on 1 at least 15 times realistically......I won once. And in every game, I would be up by a few shots and he'd hit the switch and go Pippen mode. Long arms, super quick laterally, if I made a nice move to get open I would be tired at the release of the shot. And he got almost every defensive rebound.

The way I beat him was great though, it was a back and forth game and I made a crazy layup from behind the backboard to win.

I miss playing against him. He moved to Tennessee. Good friend of mine.
    Last edited by Rocketswin2013; 04-01-2014 at 06:10 PM.