Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

Default Kobe and lack of MVP awards debate DESTROYED by me in this thread...

01-02 - Kobe was 5th in voting.

02-03 - Kobe was 3rd in voting.

03-04 - Kobe was 5th in voting.

05-06 - Kobe was 4th in voting.

06-07 - Kobe was 3rd in voting.

07-08 - Kobe won the MVP.

08-09 - Kobe was 2nd in MVP voting.

09-10 - Kobe was 3rd in voting.

10-11 - Kobe was 4th in voting.

11-12 - Kobe was 4th in voting.

12-13 - Kobe was 5th in voting.

Kobe has been top 5 in MVP voting for 11 seasons. Kobe has been top 3 another 5 seasons.

The longevity of greatness displayed by Kobe makes the MVP award HIS BITCH. Kobe didn't feel a need to pad stats in irrelevant regular season games to win MVP awards; he was simply himself and still almost won 11 MVP awards. Kobe could've won a LOT of scoring titles, but he ALWAYS dialed it down in the regular season to ensure he was ready for the playoffs. Kobe didn't protect his stats by continuously leaking out before a shot is made or missed; Kobe didn't hold onto the ball for the duration of the shot clock to ensure his pass would lead to the assist; Kobe didn't take only easy shots to protect his percentages; Kobe was HIMSELF and didn't give a PHUCK about your opinion.

That's REAL.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Default Re: Kobe and lack of MVP awards debate DESTROYED by me in this thread...

god dammit

Default Re: Kobe and lack of MVP awards debate DESTROYED by me in this thread...

6/24

tl;dr
    one starred
    negged
    reported

Quote Originally Posted by keep-itreal
    6/24
    Weak sauce.

They won the game/series/title in that game; Kobe had 10 points in the 4th and never waned when the game was tight.

Stayed alpha.

No 2011 BS.

3-time NBA All-Star

He didn't "almost win 11 MVP awards" I don't care what MVP voting says. He wasn't seriously discussed and considered to win MVP at any time outside of 06-08.

NBA Superstar

Horrible passive voice.

I thought them teachers told you that PA was grammatically abominable.

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    He didn't "almost win 11 MVP awards" I don't care what MVP voting says. He wasn't seriously discussed and considered to win MVP at any time outside of 06-08.
    The entire respected basketball universe considered Kobe the best in the world and he wasn't winning MVP awards.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerforlife
    The entire respected basketball universe considered Kobe the best in the world and he wasn't winning MVP awards.
    Yes, best in the world was probably a discussion from about 2003-2012. But that's different from MVP. He really had no argument over Duncan, KG, and Lebron in the years they won MVP and he didn't really come to close to winning MVP those years as a result.

If PrimeBe played in the EAST with the teammates that Lebron has, Kobe wouldve gotten at least 6 mvps

Weak a$$ east

Quote Originally Posted by imnew09
    If PrimeBe played in the EAST with the teammates that Lebron has, Kobe wouldve gotten at least 6 mvps

Weak a$$ east

He had a chance to play for an eastern conference team (Charlotte Hornets), but he wanted to play for the Lakers in his rookie season.
    Last edited by Lebron23; 02-17-2016 at 12:57 AM.

So 2 top 2 finishes in his career.

Almostmvpbe

Honestly, it is criminal that he only has 1 MVP. 03, 06, 07, and 09 he had STRONG cases of being MVP, but there was always some moral reason not to give it to him. He had the media totally against him in 03, what with the whole rape charges...which is bs, you shouldn't let something like that come into the fact when discussing his level in basketball. 06 can't be explained, he balled and averaged 35ppg for crying out loud, and even almost beat the MVP that year in the first round (forever a big **** you to Tim Thomas).

07 they gave it to Nowitzki for being on the best regular season team, who ended up losing to 8th seed GSW. And then 09 they didn't give it to him because it was time for Lebron to win one....bullshit. Steve Nash should never have been an mvp, I'm sorry but he never will be regarded as an ALL TIME GREAT, yet he took mvp's away from both Shaq and Kobe. The fact that they gave it to him back to back irks me to this day, you'll never see another player average 15ppg and win MVP.

#almost

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnian Sajo
    Honestly, it is criminal that he only has 1 MVP. 03, 06, 07, and 09 he had STRONG cases of being MVP, but there was always some moral reason not to give it to him. He had the media totally against him in 03, what with the whole rape charges...which is bs, you shouldn't let something like that come into the fact when discussing his level in basketball. 06 can't be explained, he balled and averaged 35ppg for crying out loud, and even almost beat the MVP that year in the first round (forever a big **** you to Tim Thomas).

07 they gave it to Nowitzki for being on the best regular season team, who ended up losing to 8th seed GSW. And then 09 they didn't give it to him because it was time for Lebron to win one....bullshit. Steve Nash should never have been an mvp, I'm sorry but he never will be regarded as an ALL TIME GREAT, yet he took mvp's away from both Shaq and Kobe. The fact that they gave it to him back to back irks me to this day, you'll never see another player average 15ppg and win MVP.
    Moral reasons? How about the fact that there were more deserving players? You're not winning MVP on a 40 something win team, so that eliminates 2006 and 2007. I don't understand your point about Nowitzki losing in the playoffs since the MVP is a regular season award. The voters are not psychics. In 2009 Lebron had better numbers than Kobe across the board. In 2003 Duncan led the Spurs to 10 more wins than the Lakers and he did it with a 20 year old Tony Parker as his second option. Duncan was without question the deserving MVP that season.

I do agree that Nash having 2 MVP's while Shaq and Kobe only have 1 apiece is pretty crazy, but it's an issue of circumstance and the ambiguity of the criteria for the award.