Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

Default Re: Rank the top 10 Small Forwards in the NBA

Quote Originally Posted by 28renyoy
    The Knick/Melo homers are out of control

Durant has more accolades, better career stats, better single season stats, better playoff stats, better career playoff stats, better playoff record, yet they still rank Melo ahead. What a joke.
    I am not a Melo homer. Anyway, I never seen how Durant could be ranked atop of Anthony. Though Durant's scoring numbers may seem much more impressive, you have to admit that Anthony is the better player in terms of his offensive skillset. I see Durant as a near seven foot Ray Allen who catches and shoots half the time. Sure, Durant is an elite shooter and so is Anthony (maybe a tad less elite than Durant), but Anthony is better one-on-one and is much more versatile-turnarounds, fadeaways, runners, footwork. Most importantly, Anthony is obviously much more clutch than Durant. Statistics aren't always what they seem.

Quote Originally Posted by no pun intended
    I am not a Melo homer. Anyway, I never seen how Durant could be ranked atop of Anthony. Though Durant's scoring numbers may seem much more impressive, you have to admit that Anthony is the better player in terms of his offensive skillset. I see Durant as a near seven foot Ray Allen who catches and shoots half the time. Sure, Durant is an elite shooter and so is Anthony (maybe a tad less elite than Durant), but Anthony is better one-on-one and is much more versatile-turnarounds, fadeaways, runners, footwork. Most importantly, Anthony is obviously much more clutch than Durant. Statistics aren't always what they seem.
    This.

Melo is the better player right now, but its not like we're claiming that Durant wont officially surpass Melo this upcoming season or the following season.

Melo has pretty much stopped improving, his offensive skillset is complete and now hes trying to dedicate himself to improving his defense.

Who knows how good Durant will be when hes 26 like Melo? Thats why I mentioned he'll probably become the best SF if not best player in the NBA by then.

Michael Jordan of ISH

Quote Originally Posted by no pun intended
    So you would take 26 ppg on 45 FG% over 30 ppg on 48 FG%?

My list:

1) Anthony
    2) Lebron
    3) Durant
    4) Pierce
    5) Gay

*Anthony is the most skilled SF, and the second most skilled player in the league, only behind Kobe.
    *Lebron is not as good as his numbers suggest.
    *Durant is above Pierce only because of his age, otherwise I think he's a bit overrated.
    * Gay is Gay.

Michael Jordan of ISH

I'm still waiting to hear why Melo>Durant other than, he's more skilled. LOL @ that absurd logic. I guess Odom>Amare since he's "more skilled"

I'm still waiting to hear why Melo>Durant other than, he's more skilled. LOL @ that absurd logic. I guess Odom>Amare since he's "more skilled"
    What does Durant do on the court better than Carmelo? Im curious to know.

Michael Jordan of ISH

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe
    What does Durant do on the court better than Carmelo? Im curious to know.
    Score, play defense, play off the ball, better intangibles. They're equal passers/rebounders and Melo has better ball security.

Durant is clearly the better player.

Anyone actually trying to argue Melo>Durant as a scorer is an idiot. Melo put up far inferior numbers on a run-n-gun offensive team.

So you would take 26 ppg on 45 FG% over 30 ppg on 48 FG%?
    Yes, considering Melo carries a team on his back in the 4th quarter and is clutch in the final 2 minutes.

& this past season Durant went for 27 on 46%. Melo went for 26 on 46%.

I'll take the guy who scores 1 point less but will bury the game winner.

Score, play defense, play off the ball, better intangibles. They're equal passers/rebounders and Melo has better ball security.

Anyone actually trying to argue Melo>Durant as a scorer is an idiot. Melo put up far inferior numbers on a run-n-gun offensive team.
    Elaborate.

Michael Jordan of ISH

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe
    Yes, considering Melo carries a team on his back in the 4th quarter and is clutch in the final 2 minutes.

& this past season Durant went for 27 on 46%. Melo went for 26 on 46%.

I'll take the guy who scores 1 point less but will bury the game winner.

LOL @ this garbage

Apparently 27.7 on 46.2 FG% while taking 5.3 3's a game=25.6 on 45.5 FG% while taking 3.3 3's per game.

Durant is EASILY more efficient, while scoring 2 more ppg. God you're such a joke.

As for clutch scoring, I believe that is a part of total game stats kid. Not that it matters because Durant still scored more points in the final 5 minutes of 5 or fewer point games.

Melo these past 2 seasons-26.8/7/3 on 48.25 eFG% 55.25 TS%

Durant these past 2 seasons 29.1/7.2/2.8 51.2 eFG% 59.8 TS%

/thread
    Last edited by 28renyoy; 07-05-2011 at 04:09 PM.

That is all subjective as hell.

You're arguing Durant is a better scorer when his numbers this past season are identical to Melo's.

Durant is better off the ball because he runs off of screens to take nearly 1/3 of his shots. Melo doesnt need screens, he isolates on the wing and takes his man 1 on 1. Its like blaming Kobe for not being better when playing off the ball than Ray Allen.

What intangibles are these btw? Carmelo has been a winner his entire life/career and has been the guy who carries his team in the clutch. What does Durant have other than scoring numbers? He never even won a state title in high school.

Melo puts up inferior numbers when playing on a team that had multiple guys looking for touches. Now you swap out 5 guys in Denver looking for the ball with another high scoring Forward & a shoot first PG. Durant & Westbrook together account for about 2/3 of OKC's offense on a bad night.

Michael Jordan of ISH

You're arguing Durant is a better scorer when his numbers this past season are identical to Melo's.
    Durant led the league averaging 27.7 ppg on 19.7 FGA 58.9 TS% this past season
    Durant led the playoffs averaging 28.6 ppg on 20.3 FGA 58.2 TS% this past season

Melo averaged 25.6 ppg on 19.5 FGA 55.7 TS% this past season
    Melo averaged 26.0 ppg on 22.0 FGA 50.5 TS% in the playoffs this past season

Obviously the numbers from this past season are identical

Durant is better off the ball because he runs off of screens to take nearly 1/3 of his shots. Melo doesnt need screens, he isolates on the wing and takes his man 1 on 1. Its like blaming Kobe for not being better when playing off the ball than Ray Allen.
    So you're arguing style>output? Good thing you don't coach a team

Melo these past 2 seasons-26.8/7/3 on 20.7 FGA 48.25 eFG% 55.25 TS%

Durant these past 2 seasons 29.1/7.2/2.8 on 19.9 FGA 51.2 eFG% 59.8 TS%

Carmelo has been a winner his entire life/career and has been the guy who carries his team in the clutch.
    Durant won as many playoff series last season as Carmelo has won in his entire career

Melo puts up inferior numbers when playing on a team that had multiple guys looking for touches. Now you swap out 5 guys in Denver looking for the ball with another high scoring Forward & a shoot first PG. Durant & Westbrook together account for about 2/3 of OKC's offense on a bad night.
    Over the past 2 years, Melo has averaged more FGA than Durant while scoring nearly 3 less ppg on far inferior efficiency. Yes, clearly touches is what puts them apart.
    Last edited by 28renyoy; 07-05-2011 at 04:17 PM.

LOL @ this garbage

Apparently 27.7 on 46.2 FG% while taking 5.3 3's a game=25.6 on 45.5 FG% while taking 3.3 3's per game.
    Apparently shooting 42% from 3 on 4.2 3's a game is superior to a guy shooting 35% from 3 on 5.3 attempts.

Durant is EASILY more efficient, while scoring 2 more ppg. God you're such a joke.
    Based on what?

You're the ****ing idiot saying Durant is a better shooter than when looking at pure stats saying Durant has it tougher to score.

As for clutch scoring, I believe that is a part of total game stats kid. Not that it matters because Durant still scored more points in the final 5 minutes of 5 or fewer point games.
    & Clutch stats clearly point to shots in the last 10-30 seconds in a close game as I clearly mentioned Melo will carry you in the 4th quarter then bury the game winner.

Durant shoots 2-11 in those situations.
    Melo is 4-6.

Sounds like Durant has a case of LeBrickitis

In terms of Durant scoring more in "Clutch" time than Melo.

Over 48 minutes, Melo averages the same number of FG attempts but shoots 45% compared while Durant shoots 40%. The only reason Durant scores more is due to getting to the FT line thanks to his superstar calls.

So you're arguing style>output? Good thing you don't coach a team

Over the past 2 years, Melo has averaged more FGA than Durant while scoring nearly 3 less ppg on far inferior efficiency. Yes, clearly touches is what puts them apart.
    If you ever watched Anthony play, then you would know that he is the motor of the Knick's offense, especially under D'Antoni's system. It's not like Anthony tries to play "stylishly", but rather he has to in order to create his own offense. Under the Thunder's system, Durant is able to score much more efficiently thanks to the pick and roll offense he does with Westbrook. I'm sure Anthony is able to catch and shoot when shooting off screens, but the system he works under seldom gives him the chance to do so. Anthony has to carry his team himself; thus, he has to attempt more shots, even when he doesn't like to. How often do you see Durant play iso? Not as much as Anthony, for sure.

Michael Jordan of ISH

I'm done arguing with homers. 90% of unbiased posters at realgm, which is 10X the size of insidehoops, believe Durant is clearly superior to Anthony.

Stats back it up. Majority opinion backs it up. What else is there?