Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default MJ wasn't a stat-padder - this is how MJ felt during garbage time

[COLOR="Blue"]MJ hours before Game 4 of 1996 Finals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfAoaAb3Nc0&t=42m32s[/COLOR]

This reveals that after getting a 3-0 lead, MJ was "more relaxed than he'd ever been" before the garbage time that ensued the rest of the series.. This explains his lackluster mindset versus the desperate, nothing-to-lose, adrenaline that benefited Payton in those garbage time, stat-padding games.

It's unfortunate the way it worked out - the Bulls blowout of the Sonics early in the series let MJ's guard down, which gave an inherent advantage to the desperate Payton later in garbage time.

I would've loved to see MJ guard Payton from Game 1 - it wouldn't turn a 3-0 blowout into a Sonics' series victory, but at least MJ would've been in the right frame of mind with the entire series to work on Payton.... But instead, MJ was "more relaxed than he'd ever been" and had already tuned out of the series - he was basically like, "wake me up when it's over", while Payton was in desperation mode hoping to save some face.
    Last edited by 3ball; 10-23-2015 at 04:57 AM.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: MJ wasn't a stat-padder - this is how MJ felt during garbage time

I suppose you already have an old response saved for when someone points out the article during his triple double streak when he admitted to counting his assists even telling guys he needed his tenth and not to let him down?

It doesn't matter....but it happened.

NBA Superstar

I've heard from a very reliable source that OP likes to spread strawberry marmalade around his anus and let his gerbil Sandy lick it off.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory
    I've heard from a very reliable source that OP likes to spread strawberry marmalade around his anus and let his gerbil Sandy lick it off.
    Chris Broussard?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    I suppose you already have an old response saved for when someone points out the article during his triple double streak when he admitted to counting his assists even telling guys he needed his tenth and not to let him down?

He just ignores these kind of post...as there is no response to make to a simple fact, but affirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855

No saved response needed - all players have done that at some point in their career - I remember doing that in high school and I was a bench warmer at the time!

But the reality is that MJ was interviewed hours before Game 4, and he revealed that he was "more relaxed than he'd ever been".. This explains his lackluster mindset versus the desperate, nothing-to-lose, adrenaline of Payton.

It's unfortunate the way it worked out - the Bulls blowout of the Sonics early let MJ's guard down, which gave an inherent advantage to the desperate Payton later in garbage time.

I would've loved to see MJ guard Payton from Game 1 - it wouldn't turn a 3-0 blowout into a Sonics' series victory, but at least MJ would've been in the right frame of mind with the entire series to work on Payton.... But instead, MJ was "more relaxed than he'd ever been" and had tuned out of the series - he was basically like, "wake me up when it's over", while Payton was like a rabid dog anxious to save a little face.

Banned

LA Times, April 11, 1989:

Since switching to point guard for the Chicago Bulls, Michael Jordan has become statistic conscious. He has started checking with statisticians to see how close he is to a triple-double. He had a string of seven consecutive triple-doubles broken Friday night.

"The guys at the scorer's desk let me know what I need," Jordan said.

So, too, do the Bulls' assistant coaches.

"They keep reminding me when I get back to the huddle," Jordan said. "They say, 'You need three more of this. You need four more of that.'"

WHO SAID GARBAGE TIME!?[COLOR="White"].[/COLOR]

If game 4 was garbage time, then why need for MJ to play 41mins? Especially since they were down by 21pts at the half and at the end of the 3rd?

Quote Originally Posted by Thesmallmamba

He has started checking with statisticians to see how close he is to a triple-double.

ALL players have done that at some point in their career - I remember doing that in high school and I was a bench warmer at the time!

[COLOR="black"]But the reality is that MJ was interviewed hours before Game 4, and he revealed that he was "more relaxed than he'd ever been".. This explains his lackluster mindset versus the desperate, nothing-to-lose, adrenaline of Payton. [/COLOR]

It's unfortunate the way it worked out - the Bulls blowout of the Sonics early let MJ's guard down, which gave an inherent advantage to the desperate Payton later in garbage time.

I would've loved to see MJ guard Payton from Game 1 - it wouldn't turn a 3-0 blowout into a Sonics' series victory, but at least MJ would've been in the right frame of mind with the entire series to work on Payton.... But instead, MJ was "more relaxed than he'd ever been" and had tuned out of the series - he was basically like, "wake me up when it's over", while Payton was like a rabid dog anxious to save a little face.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    ALL players have done that at some point in their career - I remember doing that in high school and I was a bench warmer at the time!

[COLOR="black"]But the reality is that MJ was interviewed hours before Game 4, and he revealed that he was "more relaxed than he'd ever been".. This explains his lackluster mindset versus the desperate, nothing-to-lose, adrenaline of Payton. [/COLOR]

Since switching to point guard for the Chicago Bulls, Michael Jordan has become statistic conscious. He has started checking with statisticians to see how close he is to a triple-double. He had a string of seven consecutive triple-doubles broken Friday night.

So, too, do the Bulls' assistant coaches.

"They keep reminding me when I get back to the huddle," Jordan said. "They say, 'You need three more of this. You need four more of that.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    that's what happens when the goat career ends

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    that's what happens when the goat career ends
    Or when a player realizes he was nothing without his best teammate (hence 1-9, and the Bulls won 55 games without him)