Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Default Re: Who would you have given the '88 MVP to?

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    Jordan won over Bird in a pretty close race. This MVP would have marked Bird's fourth is five years.

Bird put up 30/9/6 on 52.7% (41.4% from three so insane scoring efficiency), Jordan put up 35/5.5/6 on 53.5%. Per 36 minutes (because Jordan played a couple of minutes more) stats are, 28/9/6 for Bird, 31/5/5 for Jordan. Bird was a superior offensive player imo, his feel for the game was much better than Jordan's at this point in MJ's career.
    Just couldn't bring yourself to round up Jordan's numbers like you did Bird's huh?

And why should Jordan be penalized for playing more than Larry did? Maybe we should reward the efficiency Jordan displayed for 40 mins a game.

Jordan just eats you up, doesn't he?

I rule the local playground nnn123's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist
    Just couldn't bring yourself to round up Jordan's numbers like you did Bird's huh?

And why should Jordan be penalized for playing more than Larry did? Maybe we should reward the efficiency Jordan displayed for 40 mins a game.

Jordan just eats you up, doesn't he?

Hahahah I noticed that too..... If Kobe goes 30/6/6 he'll round it up to 31/7/7....but for Jordan, an unfortunate 29/5/5

Also why is it that when Bird averaged 8.5 rebounds per 36 minutes you rounded it, while when jordan averaged 5.5 rebounds you didn't round it?

You always skew the stats in favor of those against Jordan. Funny how that always works out somehow, huh?

Local High School Star chitownsfinest's Avatar

Let me go through this:
    MJ's team won 50 games, Bird's team won 57
    MJ's three best scorers besides him featured Sam Vincent who missed 55 games (13 ppg), Oakley (12 ppg), and Dave fu*king Corzine (10 ppg). MJ scored 1/3 of his teams points that season.
    Bird's three best scorers besides him featured McHale who only missed 19 games (23 ppg, 8 RPG), Ainge who played the entire season (16 ppg), Parrish who only missed 9 games and was still superior to any teammate MJ had (14/9), and DJ who only missed 5 games and still put up 13 ppg and 8 apg. That is a far better supporting cast then MJ's and Bird only won 7 more games?
    MJ also played much better defense then Bird did that season. On top of that MJ anchored his cast to being a top 4 defense (his only real help being Oakley). Bird's Celtics finished 17th.
    Bird's stats: 30/9/6
    MJ's stats: 35/6/6
    Only a 1.4 minute per game differential between the two and MJ only lags behind in reb's for an obvious reason. MJ destroyed Bird in spg and bpg as well.
    Bird's season would have been an mvp season in any other yr but MJ's performance that season was out of the world. Case closed.

Banned

Who would you have given the '08 MVP to

Kobe: 28.3 pts, 6.3 rbs, 5.4 asts, .459 FG
    LBJ: 30.0 pts, 7.9 rbs, 7.2 asts, .484 FG

Considering Kobe gets butt plunged in every category I think I'll give him the MVP leaving Kobe with what he deserves 0 MVP's.

EDIT: I'm a HUGEEEE Kobe fan btw, that time you saw a pic of me wearing an MJ jersey I was just borrowing it off a buddy cus it was a hot day.

Banned

How many times do I have to do this to you?

That closet you're in must be a dark and lonely place. Come out already.

Anytime you're ready

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone112

Considering Kobe gets butt plunged in every category I think I'll give him the MVP leaving Kobe with what he deserves 0 MVP's.

EDIT: I'm a HUGEEEE Kobe fan btw, that time you saw a pic of me wearing an MJ jersey I was just borrowing it off a buddy cus it was a hot day.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Papaya Petee
    Are you trying to say Bird did not have a absolutely insane season?
    Not at all. He did - probably his best statistical season, actually. But Jordan was even better statistically AND won DPOY (despite Fatal9's dismissal of it, which is an absolute joke ), and took a relatively untalented team to 50 wins. He had one of the 5 best individual seasons of all time and this dude is trying to act like he didn't deserve it.
    Last edited by OldSchoolBBall; 06-29-2009 at 11:02 PM.

Facts Are Misleading

Why are people using Jordan' teammates and then using his stats to validate their assertion that Jordan actually deserved it more....

All that shows is that Jordan actually had more on his shoulders, so that's why he has better per game scoring numbers.... Bird putting up 30/9/6 on a great team where he didn't dominate the ball... that statistical dominance might never be seen again from a player on such a good team. LeBron put up great numbers this year and in years past but he never had the players around him to where he didn't feel he had to do as much, and a team where the ball wasn't in his hands the majority of the time.

I actually feel like Bird deserved it as much as Jordan did that year - obviously Michael had a great year, but like someone else said... Bird had a great feel for the game back then and was probably only rivaled in that aspect by Magic.... and since people love per game stats so much, his are actually better given the context on both Michael' team and his own team.

Bird had a peak that can go against anyone in the history of the game.

owwwww

What's with the Kobe obsession on ISH? I am starting to dislike him (because of how ubiquitous he is on these forums) instead of being just indifferent to him.

Like I said, Celtics went 2-4 without Bird (couple of games he sat out before the playoffs), so they easily win 60+ with him in the lineup. Like Carbine above me mentioned, 30/9/6 on allegedly a stacked team (check first post to see this wasn't the prime Celtics like some may think) is just as impressive, if not more, as 35/6/6 on a less talented lower end playoff type of team.

What I'm really wondering is where were you guys when Nash was winning MVPs over Lebron and Kobe? Now a slight statistical edge for Jordan is automatically some sort of a landslide? Let's not act like MVP is given to the best individual season.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Though on another note, I hope this educates fans that Bird was better than Magic. I'm tired of seeing Magic placed above Birds on all time lists when it's hardly the truth.
    Yup, this is precisely the reason the '88 MVP bugs me too. If Bird wins it, that incredible season would have gotten more recognition and the pendulum would have heavily swayed in Bird's favor (it already was but I'm just referring to the perception with the average fan).

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    What's with the Kobe obsession on ISH? I am starting to dislike him (because of how ubiquitous he is on these forums) instead of being just indifferent to him.
    Hmm, he's your favorite player, remember ?

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone112

Both totally deserved MVP, I didnt mind either getting it although I was rooting for MJ, since Bird already had plenty of accolades at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist
    What's funny is the materials those jerseys are made of actually make people hotter rather than cool them down, so it's not at all a good excuse.

Just 1 Rational Fan lbj23clutch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    How many times do I have to do this to you?

That closet you're in must be a dark and lonely place. Come out already.

Anytime you're ready
    end/