Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default Let's revisit Magic Johnson's 1995-1996 season with the Lakers...

After a lackluster stint as Lakers head coach for a handful of games only two seasons earlier and roughly five years removed from his initial retirement, Magic suited up in the purple and gold one last time in the 1995-1996 season at age 36, playing at PF in 32 games with 9 starts and averaging 14.6 points, 6.9 assists and 5.7 rebounds. In an era where a thorough understanding of his disease was still lacking, Magic managed to overcome any and all related distractions and put up respectable numbers in his brief 'comeback' stint with the Lakers.

In his first game back on January 30th, 1996, Magic flirted with a triple double in a home win over Golden State, posting 19 points, 10 assists, 8 rebounds and 2 steals in just 27 minutes of play. Here's the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXRk0...eature=related

A few short weeks later on February 16th, Magic once again came close to a triple double, coming off the bench to put up 29 points, 11 assists, 8 rebounds, 2 steals and 2 blocks in just over 30 minutes played. Featured was a great match-up between Magic and a young Jason Kidd (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKuFZ...ature=related).

Incredible to see Jordan, Magic, Rodman and Pippen all on the floor together in that legendary 72-10 Bulls season: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFnRJGz8WQw

For further reading, check out this excellent article by Gary Smith in Sports Illustrated, outlining a lot : http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...7724/index.htm

While the Lakers were eventually ousted by the defending champion Houston Rockets, the importance of Magic's role in helping them achieve the #4 seed in the west is irrefutable. They went 22-10 in the 32 games he played.

Default Re: Let's revisit Magic Johnson's 1995-1996 season with the Lakers...

There is no player, outside of Michael Jordan, that can touch Magic Johnson. No one.

Local High School Star

This was great to me because it's the only time I ever saw Magic on TV outside the Dream Team.

They had a lot of hype around it especially the debut vs Golden State and in that Bulls game you linked.

I think his debut was on a double header on TNT. Bulls vs Rockets was right before that game.

It's amazing how he just returns and puts up a sick statline in like 25 minutes or so. A classic moment too when he put that ball fake on Sprewell and the Forum erupted.

He was pretty good in that return despite not having a team accustomed to him. They didn't always know when to cut when he had the ball. He didn't even play the point that much. They just made him a post up player because Nick didn't want to give up his position. Del also had some issues distrubuting minutes between him and Ced.

He was pretty amazing in the post though; throwing hooks of all kinds with either hand, passing out of double teams, using his body to create space and get defenders off balance. Just a great feel for post-up play.

There was a game they played @ Miami where Magic just beasted down low. There was a dirty move he put on Horry in the playoffs sort of like the ball fake followed by the counter Hakeem put on Robinson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_siuy0-rhw - At 7:16

I think if they just made him a full-time PG, he would've stayed another year at least. He hated how the playoffs went since they were so disorganized and he didn't have much freedom in the offense.

Also, I watched the game vs Dallas linked in the OP. Van Exel was always ridiculous on those half-court buzzer beaters, just shot them at any opportunity with so much confidence.

Everytime I see one of those "who would you most like to build a team around?" questions, I always pick Magic. It's not even close. Just a ridiculously great talent.

NPZ is the man. I lost track of time watching those gems for hours the other day. Awesome channel.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Another great example of the over inflated 90's era of basketball.

You put a hall of fame player like Magic Johnson in the 1990's and he

dominates.

It's no wonder Michael "90's cupcake" Jordan was able to win so much.

The league was full cabbage patch kids and expansion teams.

Michael "cream puff" Jordan will never be on the same level as

Magic Johnson or Larry Bird....

HA!

Quote Originally Posted by quick96
    Another great example of the over inflated 90's era of basketball.

You put a hall of fame player like Magic Johnson in the 1990's and he

dominates.

It's no wonder Michael "90's cupcake" Jordan was able to win so much.

The league was full cabbage patch kids and expansion teams.

Michael "cream puff" Jordan will never be on the same level as

Magic Johnson or Larry Bird....

HA!
    Please do not derail this thread with trolling

and bizarre sentence breaks.

Instead let us just celebrate the comeback

of one of the greatest players

of all time.

OK?

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    Please do not derail this thread with trolling

and bizarre sentence breaks.

Instead let us just celebrate the comeback

of one of the greatest players

of all time.

OK?
    U got a problem with someone speaking the truth?

I actually agree with you, but I don't think this is the thread for that discussion.

Jordan was the best player in the NBA in the second half of the 80's as well.

More like Matt Boner HB40TheNextStar's Avatar

Everytime I see one of those "who would you most like to build a team around?" questions, I always pick Magic. It's not even close. Just a ridiculously great talent.
    It's interesting. They asked on the NBATV show with Barkley, Shaq, Kerr, Jet, Steve Smith, Webber, and Reggie if they were starting a franchise, who would they choose between: Jordan, Magic, and Bird. They all acknowledged that Jordan is the GOAT, but I think most chose Magic because he's a PG. They would rather build it up from either the center or point positions and he'd bring Showtime to whatever team he is on.

I actually agree with you, but I don't think this is the thread for that discussion.
    Cool. I was just making my point about Michael "twinkie" Jordan being and
    overrated 1990's shirley temple. But you right, I'll save it for the next thread.

College superstar

I did some calculations a while back. In the 50 games that the Lakers played without Magic in '96 they shot 47.6% from the field. In the 32 games that he played, they shot 49% from the field. While that's not a huge leap, consider this. He only shot, 46.6% from the field himself which was lower than the teams avg. That means that his personal fg% actually had a negative effect on the team, but his presence, leadership, and facilitating were enough to compensate for that.

Banned

There was a game where he was ejected for yelling and bumping into a ref.

Anybody else remember that incident?

Local High School Star Solid Snake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DMV2
    There was a game where he was ejected for yelling and bumping into a ref.

Anybody else remember that incident?

That wasn't Magic. That was Nick Van Exel.