Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 06-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
Ai2death
I am ZeNs B*tch

Ai2death has an incredible reputation hereAi2death has an incredible reputation hereAi2death has an incredible reputation hereAi2death has an incredible reputation hereAi2death has an incredible reputation hereAi2death has an incredible reputation hereAi2death has an incredible reputation hereAi2death has an incredible reputation here
Default Practice techniques

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice and ideas, I have secured some court time at a local gym where me and my brother will train together and improve .
I'm after some one or two man drills, or moves we could practice. Much like how you see those snippets of nba players practicing a move with a trainer.
We are both about 5'8, but i play more like a combo guard and my brother plays more like a forward.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Ai2death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Practice techniques

The only advice I would give to a young guard is to always try to be pounding the ball when you go through drills and shootarounds. I was never really comfortable when I was younger dribbling the ball because I got in the bad habit of very passively and weakly.

It is a big advantage if you can pound the ball into the floor and maintain your handle. I was never great at handling ball pressure as a result of it.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I always liked the roll out one-on-one drills. You start with the ball and roll it out to the elbow, or sort of toss it with a little backspin, chase it out and grab it, and you're defender follows you after you touch the ball.

It should force you to inside pivot, and run through a jab series sort of move. Quick jumper. Shot fake. Rip through. Half Rip and back. Quick spin if he's on your back to quick.

Do it from both elbows obviously. You go then he goes. Limit yourself to three dribbles tops, even that is too many from the elbow, but it lets you put in a step back in the lane if you need it.

And sort of an advanced tip, conciously try to open up with both feet. I was a very ambidexturous player. I had no problem going either way, and I had little problem scoring around the hoop with either hand. I got good enough at it that it was all instinct by the time I was a senior in HS. However, the thing it took me longer to figure out was my footwork both ways. I'm much much more comfortable opening up with my right foot, so that's the one I'm jabbing with. I can run through the series with either foot, certainly better righty, but getting into that position is something I rarely do unless it's somehow forced upon me.

You can also do some ghost D pick and roll and pick and pop stuff, especially if you're bro likens himself a forward. And I always did a lot of penetrate and kick stuff working out with my backcourt mate. You take the ball, make a little jab move from one wing, and go toward the hoop, your buddy's job is to move without the ball, don't just stand there, drift to a spot that would likely be open, and is easy for you as the passer to get it to. Catch and shoot, occasionally pump, one dribble, shoot. Switch.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

For spot up practice, I like partner shooting. It's simple:

1. Player A shoots
2. Player A rebounds
3. Player A passes to Player B (who is spotting up or coming off a hypothetical screen)
4. Player B shoots, rebounds, passes
5. Repeat

We also like performing some full court drills, such as:

1. Player A stands at mid court
2. Player B begins at half court near sideline
3. Player A passes ball to Player B as he begins running toward basket
4. Player B makes move at three point line, scores
5. Player B gets own rebound, throws pass to Player A at half court
6. Player B sprints toward other end of court, receives pass from Player A
7. Player B makes another move at three point line, scores again
8. Repeat until 5 shots put on basket

I like that drill because you should be worn down by the fifth attempt and it's a good quick way to build speed and the ability to push and perform when fatigued.

If you're looking for a one-on-one variant, cap the number of dribbles an offensive player can use. Sometimes we'll play one-on-one by checking up after every miss (no offensive rebounds, no need to take back) and then limit each other to five dribbles. This is way to maximize one-on-one defensive effort as well as forcing the offensive player to only move and dribble with a purpose.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: