Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Reggie jackson to sign 5-year, $80 million.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources...022117637.html

Get 'em!!! Detroit Bad Boys in the hooouuusssseeeee!!!

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

Default Re: Reggie jackson to sign 5-year, $80 million.

I think it's about the price tag we all thought he would get, 5 years 80 mill.

The contract is not for what he has done, but for what we think he is going to do - and we obviously think he is not going to be a top 3 or 4 PG, but I think he has the tools to be a top 8 PG in this league,

Had to be done, happy it's done, now let's sign Dre and get some structure in place for the next 5 years!

Yup! Im happy with the deal. And he turned in quite a show at the end of the season. The team seems to get along and have fun with each other. I think our turning point begins now!!!

Wonder if any other team offered / were going to try and offer him something?... hrmmm,

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
    Wonder if any other team offered / were going to try and offer him something?... hrmmm,
    That is something I'm a little curious about. Could we have spent a little less? At least it's not an awful deal like J.Smooth. it kind of seems we preemptively rhrow money at people, though. (Smith, Jennings, Meeks)

Maybe Detroit wants to avoid a bidding war because, honestly, it's Detroit.

Decent college freshman

Glad to have him. Glad its 5 years.

Yup ^^ Means we should really be looking to move Jennings, otherwise I feel a) his value will significantly decrease because he will be playing a lot less minutes, he is the type of player that will get heavily disgruntled, and will effect his game in a negative way..

I still think Lakers and Rockets could be potential teams to facilitate this trade...

Maybe Jennings won't be moved....

I was glancing at the Pistons salaries and without exercising any team options or extensions made after this year, we have roughly $29-30 mil in cap space...about as much to make a superstar signing.....

We can sign KCP and Drummond after we sign a superstar and our core could be...

PG -Jackson
    SG - KCP
    SF - Johnson
    PF - DURANT/LeBron
    C - Drummond

Ok....i get that this is a longshot, but why have we put ourselves in such a position to have that much money? And why were the contracts we made to have team options? So we can make a splash in 2016!!!

I remember jackson and Durant were buddy buddy before a little bit of the fallout of Jackson mouthing off, so could he be talking Durant on the low?

Wouldn't this team be purpose built for LeBron, with a defensive anchor he craves so much?

SVG, if this was your plan, praise be to you.
    Last edited by ZMonkey11; 07-06-2015 at 08:11 PM.

Maybe we could even straight salary dump Jennings for a mid-late 1st round and a 2nd round draft pick. I wish I had my laptop in Vietnam. Id be doing all sorts of numbers!!

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by ZMonkey11
    Maybe we could even straight salary dump Jennings for a mid-late 1st round and a 2nd round draft pick. I wish I had my laptop in Vietnam. Id be doing all sorts of numbers!!
    We'd likely be giving the pick in that deal

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus
    I'd just let his contract expire then. If the market knows they can get a talented pg with some type of sign and trade, why would we also give a pick? Jennings might be a bonehead, but he is a very talented bonehead. Its a pg driven league. That makes no sense.

I highly doubt they give a pick to get rid of an expiring contract. Expiring contracts are highly coveted in this league (Ben Gordon trade... )

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by ZMonkey11
    I'd just let his contract expire then. If the market knows they can get a talented pg with some type of sign and trade, why would we also give a pick? Jennings might be a bonehead, but he is a very talented bonehead. Its a pg driven league. That makes no sense.
    Thik of it like this. Dinwiddie is unproven and we aren't likely to make another FA move with any cap space. So all we'd be looking for is a backup PG. If you believe Jennings can recover and fill that role, then you keep him. If yo't, why would anyone else? So they'd just be eating 9 mil for you for no reason.

I am a huge fan of Dinwiddie ^^ But he has been pretty dissapointing for what I was expecting out of him this summer league, maybe needs another year under his belt to be able to become a solid option as a back up PG,

If I were choosing between say, Jennings and someone like Augustin to be my starter - it's Jennings EASILY!

But if we are talking about a back up role, someone who knows where they stand on a team and is comfortable and buys into their role - then players such as Augustin / J.Jack / Mills to me are more desirable than a disgruntled, unmotivated, selfish Jennings off the bench (Yes, he will be extremely selfish and shot hungry if he were to come off the bench).

If Thunder are honestly considering playing Russ at the 2-guard, then Jennings for Augustin might work for both sides...

Thik of it like this. Dinwiddie is unproven and we aren't likely to make another FA move with any cap space. So all we'd be looking for is a backup PG. If you believe Jennings can recover and fill that role, then you keep him. If yo't, why would anyone else? So they'd just be eating 9 mil for you for no reason.
    What you say makes sense for someone that is on the books for 2+ seasons. But he expires after this season. So if we are trying to salary dump, why would we give away a pick when we can just wait?

I don't think you are understanding that part.

We'd stupidly lose assets for no reason when we can just let him walk instead. Thr salary dump is to gain an asset if he plays well and becomes diagruntled. Otherwise, do what Dallas did with Lamar Odom and let him sit at home.