Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Serious playground baller 1Time4YourMind's Avatar

Default Re: Memo: NBA proposing $45M hard cap

hope this is just a stern strong-arm tactic cuz if not...

This is dumb, how are these NBA players going to feed their families!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Miami Heat would be so f*cked.

Bron+Wade+Bosh = 47,557,000 next season.
    That's why many think, the Heat WON'T have a better chance next year!!!

Before they can upgrade their roster, they may need to break it up, and trade a couple of core/star players away first.

Decent playground baller

what about just cranking up the luxury tax to a crazy level?

Quote Originally Posted by ronniec
    That's why many think, the Heat WON'T have a better chance next year!!!

Before they can upgrade their roster, they may need to break it up, and trade a couple of core/star players away first.
    Miami Heat got to the NBA Finals and were 2 wins away from partying on South Beach. Your post might make sense if this team was knocked out the 2nd rd in 5gms. Unfortunately that isnt the case. But yeah, the sky is falling the sky is falling how will Miami have a better chance next year

Quote Originally Posted by Parps
    what about just cranking up the luxury tax to a crazy level?
    good idea

I was thinking instead of a $1 tax, do it a $2 tax, that money gets recycled back to the teams who didn't pay the tax, which means more money for them=more profit

so if the Lakers are 25 million over the tax, they pay 50 million. that would make teams think twice about paying twice

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    This is dumb, how are these NBA players going to feed their families!!!!!
    I know right. How are those owners ever going to become wealthy if the players take a big piece of the NBA's income? That's ludicrous, the owners are much more deserving.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Crown&Coke
    good idea

I was thinking instead of a $1 tax, do it a $2 tax, that money gets recycled back to the teams who didn't pay the tax, which means more money for them=more profit

so if the Lakers are 25 million over the tax, they pay 50 million. that would make teams think twice about paying twice
    Nah. The big market teams would still do it to grab a dominant player. And the smaller market teams or teams with dirt bag greedy owners like the Clippers would stay under and just pocket the cash coming in. I say hard cap just move the cap up and leave it alone. Players can take a pay cut but that's ridiculous.

The End Is Near

That's kinda what I expected the initial hard cap proposal to be. It will end up being about $55 million, I think, but they had to start low so that they could compromise.

To those wondering how in the world super stars can take $9 million, look at the NHL. This year's cap (which is hard, mind you) is just under $59 million, very comparable to the NBA. However, the NHL GMs have to fit as many as 10 more players under that cap than the NBA does and the NBA's current cap is soft, with most teams going far over it. Bettman is a Stern protege, actually put into power by Stern. The hard cap was, from what I have read, actually a Stern proposal, likely as a beta test for the NBA. It has worked incredibly well in the NHL, so... here comes the NBA's hard cap.

Just for the sake of comparison, the two highest paid players in the NHL (Vancouver's Roberto Luongo and Tampa Bay's Vinny Lecavlier) make $10 million this season, with cap hits of $5.5 and $7.5 million each. The highest cap hit in the NHL is Alex Ovechkin at $9.5 million. (In the NHL, the cap hit is the average salary over the length of the contract, which is a loophole. You sign a star to a 15 year contract with 10 very high paying years and then 5 minimum years tacked onto the end and the cap hit is much much lower than what he will make in the first 10 years)

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalyptic0n3
    That's kinda what I expected the initial hard cap proposal to be. It will end up being about $55 million, I think, but they had to start low so that they could compromise.
    This is exactly what I suspect. $45 million isn't a serious number. It's an extreme initial number for the purposes of negotiations. A higher compromise will be reached... I suspect somewhere around $60 million.

Screw the owners, way more greedier than the players ever will be.

Many people scrutinize how players are payed millions to play the game that they love. What they don't mention is that these players (especially NFL) give up their bodies to entertain billions of people. The average career-span of an NFL running back is 3 years. The owners, on the other hand, make billions of dollars watching the sport that they love.

If you look at the % of the revenue that's being shared currently the owners get a much bigger piece of the pie (even under current CBA in the NBA) than the players ever will, and their still fighting for a bigger cut.

chips93
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

the nba using the media as a negotiating tool

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by BlueandGold
    Screw the owners, way more greedier than the players ever will be.

Many people scrutinize how players are payed millions to play the game that they love. What they don't mention is that these players (especially NFL) give up their bodies to entertain billions of people. The average career-span of an NFL running back is 3 years. The owners, on the other hand, make billions of dollars watching the sport that they love.

If you look at the % of the revenue that's being shared currently the owners get a much bigger piece of the pie (even under current CBA in the NBA) than the players ever will, and their still fighting for a bigger cut.

Go learn about the current CBA and get back with us on who's getting the larger %

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Miami Heat would be so f*cked.

Bron+Wade+Bosh = 47,557,000 next season.
    3 higest payed players for each team in 2011-2012 season (all numbers are rounded up exp: if total is 33,2 or 33,7 its rounded to 34)
    ATL Johnson+Smith+Hinrich= 39M, Crawford is FA (last year salary M) T 71M
    BOS KG+PP+Ray= 46 M T 84M
    CHA Diaw+Jackson+Przybilla= 26M T 67M
    CHI Booz+Deng+Rose= 33M T 56M
    CLE Jamison+Davis+Varejao= 37M T 54M
    DAL Dirk+JET+Kidd= 38M, Chandler and Butler are FA (last year 24M) T 91M
    DEN no meaning in doing any calculation since 4/5 top paid playes are FA or have opt T 66M
    DET Rip+Gordon+Charlie= 32M, Prince is FA (last year 11M) T 66M
    GSW Ellis+Lee+Biedrins= 31M T 68M
    HOU Martin+Scola+Lowry= 26M, Yao probably done? T 73M
    IND same as DEN 4/6 top paid are FA T 65M
    LAC Kaman+Mo+Griffin= 27M T 53M
    LAL Kobe+Gasol+Bynum= 59M T 92M
    MEM Zach (his exact numbers are not known yet)+Rudy+Conely=39M, Battier is FA (this year 7M) T 70M
    MIA Bosh+James+Wade= 48M T 67M
    MIL Bogut+Maggette+Salmons= 31M, Redd is FA (last year 19M) T 70M
    MIN Beasley+Wabster+Milicic= 17M T 54M
    NJN DW+Outlaw+Morrow= 28M, Gadzuric is FA (last year 8M) T 60M
    NOH CP+Okafor+West= 37M T 69M
    NYK Melo+Amare+Billups= 51M T 68M
    OKC KD+Perkins+Harden= 26M, Nazr probably gone? (last year 7M) T 58M
    ORL DH12+Arenas+Hedo=48M, Richardson is FA (last year14M) T 90M
    PHI Brand+Iggy+Nocioni= 38M T 70M
    PHX VC (non-guaranteed)+Nash+Childress= 36M T 66M
    POR Roy+Camby+Aldridge= 41M T 71M
    SAC Udrih+Garcia+Evans= 17M, Dalembert is FA (last year 14M) T 44M
    SAS TD+Parker+Manu= 47M T 70M
    TOR Jose+Bargnani+Barbosa= 27M T 70M
    UTA AJ+Okur+Harris= 35M, AK is FA (last year 18M) T 75M
    WAS Lewis+Blatche+Wall= 33M T 60M

*T team payroll in 2010/2011

Now I dont really know why I did this but when you consider how important are those players that are listed above, MIA is looking damn good with their salaries. The best looking elite teams in terms of their payrolls are MIA, CHI and OKC.

Teams that are really fvcked up if anything like that is agreed?
    BOS
    DAL
    LAL
    NYK
    ORL
    POR
    SAS
    UTA
    Last edited by bingo123; 06-14-2011 at 04:23 PM.

Local High School Star gilalizard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DStebb716
    This has to be a joke. $45 mill cap? It would probably be delayed for a few years if they agreed to it (not sure if it says that in story) but come on.

There goes NY, Miami, Atlanta, Los Angeles Lakers, Orlando, Chicago, Dallas... and more.

Honestly, a hard cap at around 65 mill is the only thing close to reasonable. If you're going to put in a HARD cap then you have to RAISE the cap. The salary cap right now is virtually like 80 million with all these exceptions and the ability to fill your roster over the cap. Dropping it to 45 makes zero sense.
    45 million is the league/owners lowballing the players.

If a hard cap is in the final deal, it will be higher I'd bet. Unless the players utterly fail at the negotiating table.