Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: John Stockton vs Steve Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Svendiggity
    Stockton and it's not even close
    this! stockton is extremly underrated etc. etc.

Local High School Star CakeorDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StephHamann
    Stockton was the reason they lost in 1994.

He was guarded by Kenny Smith for gods sake.
    Still doesn't mean they would have won it all with Nash

Very good NBA starter

I bet Stockton could win an MVP if he put up 17+ ppg & 14 apg in today's league. and he was an all-NBA level defender (who was kinda dirty/pesky at times, but that's not always a bad thing). As much as I appreciate Nash's combo of playmaking and sharpshooting, give me Stockton

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

First option, Nash.
    Second option, Stockton.
    Third option, Stockton.

Neither are first options on a championship team so Stockton is the winner.

Give me John Stockton. But Nash is getting underrated in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    I bet Stockton could win an MVP if he put up 17+ ppg & 14 apg in today's league. and he was an all-NBA level defender (who was kinda dirty/pesky at times, but that's not always a bad thing). As much as I appreciate Nash's combo of playmaking and sharpshooting, give me Stockton
    Yep. Stockton has 8 seasons that are statistically superior than the better of Nash's 2 MVP seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    Give me John Stockton. But Nash is getting underrated in this forum.
    Disagree. Nash is regularly rated as a top-3 PG of his era and fringe top 10 PG of all time. Right where he should be.

Banned

Stockton just got really unlucky and ran into the GOAT twice. I think people would be singing a different tune if he won at least 1 ring. I would pick Stockton over Nash simply because he played on both ends of the floor. I would argue he was also a better passer than Nash.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Colangelo
    Nash

People will tell you how underrated Stockton is, etc etc but the truth is he was never the best player on the team and he was never even the best PG in the league.
    He was the best player on his team and he was up with any pg most of his career outside Magic who I put in a category all by himself.

Proves idiots wrong Human Error's Avatar

Not only Nash's 2 MVPs were complete joke, but also it is debatable whether he was even the team's best player during his MVP run. I always thought Amare was the best player on the team and at his peak Marion was also better. As for Stockton he wasn't the best point guard in the game nor the team's best player either, but he was a great defensive point guard and it is an impossible task for any PG in history to be the team's best player that has a prime Karl Malone. So I would go with Stockton.

Quote Originally Posted by Human Error
    Not only Nash's 2 MVPs were complete joke, but also it is debatable whether he was even the team's best player during his MVP run. I always thought Amare was the best player on the team and at his peak Marion was also better. As for Stockton he wasn't the best point guard in the game nor the team's best player either, but he was a great defensive point guard and it is an impossible task for any PG in history to be the team's best player that has a prime Karl Malone. So I would go with Stockton.
    I would argue Stockton was the league's best PG between the 91/92 season and the 95/96 season. Some will argue Thomas for the early half of that and Payton for the second half, but I disagree in both cases.

Local High School Star

Can i have kidd or curry?They are like the same thing but bigger faster stronger?Or do i have to pick from these 2 OP?

Quote Originally Posted by You Cant Ban Me
    Can i have kidd or curry?They are like the same thing but bigger faster stronger?Or do i have to pick from these 2 OP?
    Kidd can't compete with Stockton. Curry might have the resume of an all-time PG before he's done though.

Banned

Nash.

National High School Star Fire Colangelo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Human Error
    wow lol.

What about the season when Amare was injured? You do realize Stoudemire and Marion's FG% increased by 5-10% just by playing with Nash?

You do realize Nash took over the Suns by turning a 29 win team into a 62 win team? Sure, Amare improved from the 04 season to 05 season, but a huge chunk of that credit goes to Nash.

And how about the fact that Stockton never won anything despite playing with Karl Malone? If Stockton is as great as you guys think, why weren't they able to win anything?

For all the shit Chris Paul and Blake Griffin gets for not winning for the past 4 seasons, here you have a top 2 PF in Karl Malone teamed up together for their entire careers.

Oh yeah, they played against Jordan. Twice! What about the rest of the 15 years they played together?

I mean, I'd probably take Stockton due to longevity (though Nash was no slouch), but you guys are crazy if you think Stockton had a better prime/peak than Nash.

I feel like some of you guys are either stuck in nostalgia or just never watched Stockton play. Dude made the right plays, and made the right passes to Karl Malone for the score but he could never take over a game, or have the defenses on their heels like Steve Nash could.