Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-18-2008, 08:13 PM   #16
Godfather
Banned

Godfather is a pretty well-respected posterGodfather is a pretty well-respected posterGodfather is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Dr. J reaches out to his daughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotbacon23
i read the article and i do not think it deserves applause.

for one... he didn't care about her enough to make it happen earlier, he waited 27 years, and even 9 after it was known in public, and he NEVER even was the one to contact her initially...

so his own daughter wasn't a priority for him... and we are applauding it...

for two... he was still committing acts of infidelity with his wife after this whole mess

for three... he didn't reach out for her, she reached out to him...

and four... she reached out to him for MONEY and ENDORSEMENT CONTACTS...

so why does this deserve applause? because a man NEVER contacted his daughter until she contacted him... and the only reason she contacted him was for MONEY... please. this is crap and neither dr. j nor her deserve applause.

I completely agree. The fact it took 27 years is downright shameful.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:19 PM   #17
Da_Realist
College superstar

Da_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation here

Yes it's shameful that it took so long. Life happens, and sometimes we get caught up in it. Doesn't excuse our behavior but we shouldn't be condemned for life because of it either.

Money was the link that brought them together. Obviously there were some other feelings buried deep inside both of them.

Also, don't discount how easily it is to disregard someone you don't know. Dr. J never met the girl (well, only briefly when she was a child). My wife's father lived in her home for her first 8 years, divorced her mother and she hasn't seen him since. That's MUCH worse than what Dr. J did.
Da_Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:18 PM   #18
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

geezuz, you cynics.

yes, itīs a feel-good story and one can find any number of reasons to find fault with the process and with the individuals. but beyond all these reasons some important facts remain- both were honest with their feelings, honest with each other, and open to the possibility of reconciling.

plenty of other famous parent-siblings in their circumstances choose NOT to reconcile. so put that in your pipe and smoke it. but we all need love and we all need family. nothing ever changes that.

great article. thanks for sharing. repped OP.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:34 AM   #19
gotbacon23
Decent college freshman

gotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this board

sure, i may be a little cynical- but come on this is just a fluff piece and its not flattering towards dr. j. sure, its good that he is trying to help his daughter now but that should be the minimum a father does throughout their child's entire life not after missing the first 27 years. he would have NEVER contacted her if she didn't contact him first. and she would have NEVER contacted him if she didn't need money. i feel bad for her, she did deserve some support, but the motives are questionable at best. plus, dr. j cheated on his wife, his wife flipped out and this whole mess ensued yet he cheated on his wife again in 2000 to have yet another kid with another woman. thats not the most noble of things, and i dont think giving his daughter some money and sponsorship contacts, and a few text messages makes up for these things.
gotbacon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:54 AM   #20
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Dr.J knocked up the chick and the condition was "I toss you some bread and we go our seperate ways. I dont want anything to do with the childs life.". His daughter becomes a pretty good tennis player and attempts to reach out to Dr.J just on some "I wanna meet/see if a relationship could spawn" and Dr.J declines. Basically thanks but no thanks. Me and your mother had a deal back then. I'm good. Got a wife/kids.

Now Dr.J is reaching out to his daughter? Eh, what next Larry Bird? Yanno the guy whose daughters showed up to a game and he wouldnt acknowledge her? He's gonna want to reach out and we're supposed to give him kudos? I'd figured I ran out of kudos to give praising him as a bball player. Now I gotta dig deep and toss some more out because he woke up to reality and wants to reach out to a daughter he denied? Right.

If something can come of Dr.J and this daughter? Cool. But I'm going gonna praise, celebrate, applaud this move.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:15 PM   #21
Da_Realist
College superstar

Da_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation here

Just a reminder to those interested...

Watch this story on "Outside the Lines" at 9 a.m. ET Sunday on ESPN.
Da_Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: