Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Will PG's injury end max contract players playing in Olympics/team USA?

If I owned a team, I would definitely put clause in contract not letting them compete in offseason.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: Will PG's injury end max contract players playing in Olympics/team USA?

This couldve happened at anytime though.. maybe he had an inbalance with his legs or something.. and it struck at the perfect angle. Couldve happened in practice, preseason, anything really.

Default Re: Will PG's injury end max contract players playing in Olympics/team USA?

I would be more worried young players on rookie contracts wanting to play OP

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Teams might put a clause in their contracts

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFreeman
    Teams might put a clause in their contracts
    Like I said in another thread, pretty similar to what happened with the NHL. Doubt owners/GM's will be able to stop guys repping there country. I'm sure they'd love too but at this point so many players want a gold medal/Olympic experience.

Freak injury. More games you play, more chance at getting hurt. Playoffs, offseason etc. can happen anytime. Sucks but doubt it affects international play & the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    This couldve happened at anytime though.. maybe he had an inbalance with his legs or something.. and it struck at the perfect angle. Couldve happened in practice, preseason, anything really.
    Of course.

But he would have been injured wearing his employers uniform.

It could have happened falling down stairs. I get it. But more competitive basketball played higher risk for injury. Period.

If I was giving a player 15+ million a year, I'd put that clause. Protect my investment as much as possible. That's all in typing.

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    Like I said in another thread, pretty similar to what happened with the NHL. Doubt owners/GM's will be able to stop guys repping there country. I'm sure they'd love too but at this point so many players want a gold medal/Olympic experience.

Freak injury. More games you play, more chance at getting hurt. Playoffs, offseason etc. can happen anytime. Sucks but doubt it affects international play & the NBA.
    Shit.

I have to disagree. You think nba aren't thinking that it ain't worth it??? Seriously going to affect this years team. You Really think they aren't gonna be thinking about it constantly?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bless Mathews
    If I owned a team, I would definitely put clause in contract not letting them compete in offseason.
    Of course.

But he would have been injured wearing his employers uniform.

It could have happened falling down stairs. I get it. But more competitive basketball played higher risk for injury. Period.

If I was giving a player 15+ million a year, I'd put that clause. Protect my investment as much as possible. That's all in typing
    Who is this and how did you hack into this account. The guy I know with this account can't type and speaks retard.

Unless a pattern develops, nope.

NBA Legend

I completely respect a players choice to play in the Olympics but at the same time I understand why a team would not want them participating in activities that put them at risk for injury. Once the guy has a contract the team has to pay him that 15 million dollars or whatever even if he has to sit out the whole season bc he got hurt playing for another team. Thats not really fair to the team.

The fact is businesses can set lifestyle guidelines for employees, anf frankly athletes already get far more leniency than other professions. If you knock a woman unconscious working in any kind of management job, youre not suspended two weeks, youre fired.

If teams want to tell players they cant do certain physical activities that pose injury risk, that just comes with the territory of the job. I know the teams dont WANT to take away the Olympics but with the amount of money at stake I understand why they might feel they have to.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Shit.

I have to disagree. You think nba aren't thinking that it ain't worth it??? Seriously going to affect this years team. You Really think they aren't gonna be thinking about it constantly?
    I mean hockey's different from basketball, isn't as competitive internationally nor do the players seem to take as much pride in it. People are still hungry for a gold medal and the overall Olympic experience it seems. Still want to rep there country. You have to put in the time with FIBA atleast most guys do, become a lock and than skip it. Tourny's like these are basically players Olympic bids.

I'm sure there worried but I'm sure these guys ball all year round anyways. How many players playing drew league, or whatever league. Working out, developing there games etc.

Tough injury but going to assume most of these guys know the risks and probably why there so hellbent on getting paid.

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    Who is this and how did you hack into this account. The guy I know with this account can't type and speaks retard.
    We are typing.

And you forgot "?"

I is smarter than you.

Real type.

You can't just put a clause into their contract giving the owners that right. FIBA wouldn't allow it. The only way to stop guys is if they already have an injury they need to heal up from. Obviously the owners submitting injury reports that the player does not actually have could incite legal battles, unless the player is in on it because he doesn't want to play but also doesn't want to disappoint his country.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Players have "love of the game" clauses in their contracts. They can basketball at any time. They do have clauses in their contracts preventing them from doing any high risk activities, like motorcycle riding, or sky diving.

It was an unfortunate injury, but it could have happened at any time.

At least Paul George has gotten paid already. It would be worse if it was a player still on a rookie contract, like Andre Drummond, who doesn't have $80 million in the bank.

That's why Leonard is smart to not play USA basketball before his big contract. Rest up, perform well and earn that max (for him) contract.