Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFly
    YouTube has taken over, and rightfully so, because of how useable it is, but
    Then, why would Cuban call Google "moronic" for purchasing YouTube?

YouTube has been burning through venture capital and really hasn't been making money.
    yea, the amount of venture capital that they spent to keep their servers running for a year really compares to the amount that Google paid them

Quote Originally Posted by asd
    cuban is not green with envy? please. cuban called google "moronic" for purchasing youtube at $1.65 bil. does this mean that cuban concedes that yahoo was being three times more moronic for purchasing broadcast at over $5 billion? or is there a sufficient time-related reason with this, too?
    Cuban's comments were related to copyright infingement problems... As it stands, he was correct in that regard. A company that bought YouTube and didn't work to eliminate copyright infringments would be in danger of large lawsuits. The problem with his argument is that no company would be that stupid. The first thing they would do is modify the service, work with distributors to allow use of their video, and remove video that violated copyright law. YouTube has been doing that a lot lately. Yahoo! wasn't sued by anyone when they bought broadcast.com... They modified the service to distrubute licensed multimedia, and then made tons of money running ads with that media...

btw, the amount that Youtube raised in venture capital is $11.5 million, which is less than 1 percent of the amount they received from google

Cuban's comments were related to copyright infingement problems... As it stands, he was correct in that regard. A company that bought YouTube and didn't work to eliminate copyright infringments would be in danger of large lawsuits. The problem with his argument is that no company would be that stupid. The first thing they would do is modify the service, work with distributors to allow use of their video, and remove video that violated copyright law. YouTube has been doing that a lot lately. Yahoo! wasn't sued by anyone when they bought broadcast.com... They modified the service to distrubute licensed multimedia, and then made tons of money running ads with that media...
    cuban knew about google's capabilities with adsense..
    during the past week, YouTube was told to take comedy central videos off of their servers. a couple of days later, Google made some profit-sharing deals, and comedy central material is back on youtube.

do you agree with cuban in his statement about the "moronic" purchase? do you think that Cuban has better decisive judgment than Google?

Then, why would Cuban call Google "moronic" for purchasing YouTube?
    Again, I don't agree with Cuban's assessment because I don't believe that he has considered all of the possibilities, but it doesn't strike me as envious considering how illogical that emotion would be under these circumstances. I think he's a loudmouth at times who looks for things to rant about, but envy... no.

yea, the amount of venture capital that they spent to keep their servers running for a year really compares to the amount that Google paid them
    And this is why it is illogical for Cuban to be envious. He has done so much better than the guys at YouTube though his service wasn't as advanced, he didn't spend as much money as they did, nor have his site gain the type of fame as theirs. The reason he made so much money and deserved it was that he did it at a time when that type of service and technology was still new and more valuable than it is now.

Again, I don't agree with Cuban's assessment because I don't believe that he has considered all of the possibilities, but it doesn't strike me as envious considering how illogical that emotion would be under these circumstances. I think he's a loudmouth at times who looks for things to rant about, but envy... no.

And this is why it is illogical for Cuban to be envious. He has done so much better than the guys at YouTube though his service wasn't as advanced, he didn't spend as much money as they did, nor have his site gain the type of fame as theirs. The reason he made so much money and deserved it was that he did it at a time when that type of service and technology was still new and more valuable than it is now.
    so, by making the statement, he wasn't being envious, he was being short-sighted...

and this is the man that you want to replace Stern as commissioner of the NBA?

btw, the amount that Youtube raised in venture capital is $11.5 million, which is less than 1 percent of the amount they received from google
    Exactly... prior to the purchase, youtube was losing money. Youtube had no long term business plan... their plan was to be bought, and they did a masterful job enticing companies to buy them. Their technology is fantastic. This is why it is illogical for Cuban to be evious of YouTube... In terms of money... amount spent to amount gained... netwise, he dwarfs YouTube...

How long ago was broadcast.com bought?
    Exactly! A LONG TIME AGO. With that in mind, factoring inflation, the thought of purchasing the dominant position in the online, video market for over $5bil is even more unfathomable after Google purchased the lead position in the market for just $1.65 Bil, many, many years later.

Sterns pretty good - just look at the fruit of his work.
    its currently a pretty good product. Yes there is a couple of small issues, but overall hes done an excellent job.
    I think it goes without saying he is a classy professional.
    I think it goes without saying that Cuban is an immature person with poor self control and not much respect for authority

so, by making the statement, he wasn't being envious, he was being short-sighted...

so tell me for the last time, just to make sure...was it short-sightedness or envy?

Exactly... prior to the purchase, youtube was losing money. Youtube had no long term business plan... their plan was to be bought, and they did a masterful job enticing companies to buy them. Their technology is fantastic. This is why it is illogical for Cuban to be evious of YouTube... In terms of money... amount spent to amount gained... netwise, he dwarfs YouTube...
    i don't know if you know this, but when you have MILLIONS of users pouring into your site each and every single day, you don't need to be too concerned with your long-term business plan...eventually, money will pour in...they knew that the $11 Mil would be chump change

Give the ball a season- it if dodgey they get rid of it.
    Dress code makes sense - I make about 40K for a multi million dollar business and have to dress business.
    these guys make mutli millions themselves so should at least look professional
    hand checking rule is good cos unskilled hacks cant gwet the better of talented players

Nice work Dave

Yes, I believe he was myopic in his assessment... I'm not surprised that you're just getting that (though I've been saying it for some time); I'm not convinced that have been following this conversation. What I want you to do is go back and quote me on where I said that I want Cuban to be commissioner or that I want him to replace Stern.

You must be confused... You'll find that I said no such thing, nor have I hinted at it, and my posts in this thread bear that out. I entered this conversation to correct you on your false statements concerning broadcast.com as a "worthless dot com bust" and "one of the worst business moves EVER made during the dot com era." Those things simply aren't true. If you're going to attack someone, at least take the time to be accurate. That includes me as well as Cuban.

Yes, I believe he was myopic in his assessment... I'm not surprised that you're just getting that (though I've been saying it for some time); I'm not convinced that have been following this conversation. What I want you to do is go back and quote me on where I said that I want Cuban to be commissioner or that I want him to replace Stern.

You must be confused... You'll find that I said no such thing, nor have I hinted at it, and my posts in this thread bear that out. I entered this conversation to correct you on your false statements concerning broadcast.com as a "worthless dot com bust" and "one of the worst business moves EVER made during the dot com era." Those things simply aren't true. If you're going to attack someone, at least take the time to be accurate. That includes me as well as Cuban.

I'm not sure if you read this previous post, so here goes...
    You asked, "how long ago did Yahoo purchase Broadcast?"

I said, "A LONG TIME AGO. With that in mind, factoring inflation, the thought of purchasing the dominant position in the online, video market for over $5bil is even more unfathomable after Google purchased the lead position in the market for just $1.65 Bil, many, many years later."

if you were not the one who said that cuban should be commissioner, fine, but someone did. to me, this is a messageboard, and that I find your pseudo-identities inconsequential and of little concern