Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Is Durants on-court impact overrated????

Quote Originally Posted by russwest0
    How is he not a better defender than LeBron? He typically guarded better players on offense and allowed a much lower PER than LeBron did. He's better at drawing charges and getting blocks as well..
    Meh...I don't like the PER argument in this case. If I recall correctly, Carmelo held opposing PF's to a really low PER this year when he guarded them, and I don't think anyone considers him a good or elite defender. Durant's off-ball defensive impact isn't as high as LeBron's, and I think LeBron is a better on-ball defender when he's locked in and focused. Durant's on-ball defense this past year was the same (and we were already seeing flashes of it in the playoffs in 2011 and 2012), when he was locked in he was a very on-ball defender. And the 1.5 BPG and SPG he averages does show his off-ball defense is good, but I just don't get the same sense of high-end/elite impact from Durant that I do from LeBron when I actually watch the games.

I do tend to think LeBron's on-ball defense gets overrated, though, while Durant's defense gets underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    What does that have to do with you saying it's not Durant's fault Westbrook chucks midrange jumpers 5 seconds into the shot clock? I didn't say Westbrook doesn't take away from Durant to some extent, but your original post was about Westbrook taking mid-range jumpers 5 seconds into the shotclock which was what my response was geared towards. So don't act like I you originally said all of what you said in this post. My response would've been different if you had.

As for Westbrook's shot selection, it's not as bad as it used to be. Sure, I wish he'd take a few less shots per game while Durant took a few more per game, but the dynamic works because Westbrook still gets his 20-25 points which OKC needs with the lack of other scorers on the roster.

My point was that Durant's overall effectiveness is limited by Westbrook's decision making. Unless Westbrook stops jacking up low % shots, and starts getting Durant the ball more... Durant's overall effectiveness will continue to be limited.

I would rather have Durant shooting 3's with two guys guarding him than Westbrook taking wide open 3's. Yet Westbrook continues to take "heat check" shots throughout the game for some reason. Westbrook is a great player, and the Thunder need him to be aggressive... but he needs to improve his decision making, and get Durant the ball more.

That's one of the major differences between Durant and LeBron. LeBron is the defacto PG on his team, and can call his own number at any time. Durant has to hope that Westbrook passes him the ball.

raep tiem

Maybe in the year they made the finals, but now he's pretty much an all around player

Banned

bad post after bad post, stupid thing after stupid thing in this thread

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Not at all.. if anything its becoming underrated because he actually frees up a ton of opportunity for talented teammates. If he were on a bad team it would be tough but hes not.

Quote Originally Posted by kNicKz
    Last year Melo was better than KD
    thank you, besides kd gets most his points from tha free throw line anyway, melo dont get dat much love from tha refs

All Melo (overrated) has on Durant is that he can score in more ways. Durant, while being VERY skilled, scores more points on higher efficiency. MUCH higher efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    My point was that Durant's overall effectiveness is limited by Westbrook's decision making. Unless Westbrook stops jacking up low % shots, and starts getting Durant the ball more... Durant's overall effectiveness will continue to be limited.

I would rather have Durant shooting 3's with two guys guarding him than Westbrook taking wide open 3's. Yet Westbrook continues to take "heat check" shots throughout the game for some reason. Westbrook is a great player, and the Thunder need him to be aggressive... but he needs to improve his decision making, and get Durant the ball more.

That's one of the major differences between Durant and LeBron. LeBron is the defacto PG on his team, and can call his own number at any time. Durant has to hope that Westbrook passes him the ball.
    Ok, I don't have a problem with all that. Just don't sit there and act like this what you originally said. If you had, my response would've been a lot different.

College star

i didn't see much of him last year but I remember in the finals the heat would body him and prevent him from getting the ball and he would get frustrated and go missing for key points in the game because he was unable to get the ball. Does he still do the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by asdf1990
    i didn't see much of him last year but I remember in the finals the heat would body him and prevent him from getting the ball and he would get frustrated and go missing for key points in the game because he was unable to get the ball. Does he still do the same thing?
    He's improved, but for the most part he hovers around the wing looking for bunnies. Disappears on defense more than people are willing to admit also

He's improved, but for the most part he hovers around the wing looking for bunnies. Disappears on defense more than people are willing to admit also

You and fresh kid...might as well be the same poster. Both of you are either clueless or just purposefully trolling.

You and fresh kid...might as well be the same poster. Both of you are either clueless or just purposefully trolling.
    Fresh Kid is a troll and not a knicks fan. KD is without a doubt overrated though, it is what it is. Sorry

Fresh Kid is a troll and not a knicks fan. KD is without a doubt overrated though, it is what it is. Sorry
    Overrated and still better than Carmelo's ever been. Must be a tough pill to swallow.

Overrated and still better than Carmelo's ever been. Must be a tough pill to swallow.
    Neither of them have titles lmao , you're acting as if Durant has accomplished something that Melo hasn't. Watching durant go 5-21 against the Grizzlies and turning the ball over like 7 times

whoa whoa wait a damn second