Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Giannis is a Center

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    Ralph Sampson was nothing like Giannis...
    Not really, but when he came into the league everyone was super excited about 7-4 guy who could dribble and shoot, thinking he would revolutionize the game. So from a mid 80s perspective, sort of. You just don't remember the hype, if you were even alive then.

Sampson was considered >>> Jordan as an impact player first several years. Rockets could have made a trade that would have put Jordan with Hakeem easy.

Bron/Brady not top 10 Mr.GOAT2408's Avatar

He doesn't have an actual position, but if I had to classify him as anything it's point center

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.GOAT2408
    He doesn't have an actual position, but if I had to classify him as anything it's point center
    Wilt-like, almost.

He

Good college starter Walk on Water's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FireDavidKahn
    Just because someone is 7' doesn't make them a center...

Well every time I saw him play the warriors he played center.
    I had no clue he played small forward. He

Good college starter Walk on Water's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rudeboy3
    Don't ever speak on my boy again

He

National High School Star Rudeboy3's Avatar

[QUOTE=Walk on Water]He

Local High School Star baudkarma's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    Not really, but when he came into the league everyone was super excited about 7-4 guy who could dribble and shoot, thinking he would revolutionize the game. So from a mid 80s perspective, sort of. You just don't remember the hype, if you were even alive then.

Sampson was considered >>> Jordan as an impact player first several years. Rockets could have made a trade that would have put Jordan with Hakeem easy.
    I was alive then, and remember. You are correct, at the time Sampson was regarded as the 80's version of Wilt. A big who could do it all. Too bad injuries derailed him.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Drew
    I would like to request OP to never have a thought about anything ever again.
    This

Decent college freshman Vragrant's Avatar

I consider him a point center

Giannis played the SF position as his PRIMARY position for most of his career actually. Last season is where he played the PF more exclusively. Positional versatility wise on both sides of the court, he's turned into the most versatile player ever. So DEPENDING on what a team needs, he can always switch positions.

Magic played the PG position at 6'9 because his passing and floor generalship was as good as ANYBODY to ever play. He was born to play the PG position. With Giannis, he's the best passer on his team. Could defend the wing players BETTER than anybody on his teams. And his overall motor, athletic ability, and skillset is SIMILAR to the elite wing players.

So it makes TOTAL SENSE to play him as a SF like he was when he came in the league. BUT he can play as big as the dominant big men as well due to his size and athletic ability. So he can play PF and C of course too. U just can't pigeonhole him into a center. Guys like Embid, Jokic, Cousins, Towns, etc. are highly skilled centers. Guys like Giannis and AD are different and from the KG breed of positionless basketball. Sure they can play center. BUT they have the skillsets, motor, and athletic ability of the great wing players.

When it came to Sampson, he could NEVER DEFEND the great perimeter players scoring the rock in the 80's. His lateral quickness and motor wouldn't enable that. BUT he could play the PF position in that era in addition to center. His skillset on OFFENSE showed us shit a player that size never had showed us.

BUT he was never a positionless type of big man at 7'4. It simply WOULDN'T make sense to play him as a SF. Let alone a PG or SG. He was a talented highly skilled 7'4 PF-C type. KG, AD, KD, and Giannis are the positionless 7'0 type of players. Because they could play AND defend the perimeter positions. And their athletic ability, skillset, and motor are more similar to the elite wing players. Positionless means u CAN FLOAT between the perimeter and big man positions.

Giannis has been a PF for like 4 seasons now. Small-ball C too, lineups with him at C have been slaughtering teams lately, but he's primarily a 4.

Decent college freshman Vragrant's Avatar

[QUOTE=Phenith

For some reason, watching Giannis reminds me a lot of Corey Maggette, except Giannis is taller, a better defender and can play back to the basket much better (so bad comparison right, lol). But their dribble drive game is all about getting to the basket and getting fouled.[/QUOTE]

Tbh he actually reminds me of Shaq in a wingman type physique.

Greece's national team coach already announced Giannis will be used as a center from now on. He said they tried using him as a PG, SG, SF, PF and he has obvious weaknesses at all those positions. So he will be used as a center from now on, where his skill weaknesses will be limited, and his athleticism can be maxed.