Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-08-2007, 12:52 PM   #1
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Tell me about Marvin Williams.

I haven't really seen him since North Carolina.

How is his game changing or translating in the NBA? What's he doing? I've noticed that he's putting up some really good numbers, and I always hoped he could become the second coming of a guy like Jamal Mashburn.

Hawks fans (or those who have watched), help me out.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:59 PM   #2
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Tell me about Marvin Williams.

i second this request. also anybody watching the clippers want to comment on kaman or any pacers fans want to give a run down of what's going on with your whole perimeter core?
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:13 PM   #3
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan

hawkfan has not been impressing people

First two years in the league very disappointing.

This year he is noticeably improved. He is stronger and bigger, his grasp of the pro game is clearly improved, and he looks more comfortable out there.

I haven't seen enough to notice whether his defense and rebounding have really improved enough to warrant him being a regular starter, but he has improved in these areas as well.

This year should be his best year in the pros by far.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:15 PM   #4
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

he got drafted above Deron Williams and Chris Paul by a team that was in desperate need of a PG like no team in history.

end thread. no matter how good he gets that will never change.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:18 PM   #5
tontoz
NBA rookie of the year

tontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this board

Marvin.....where to start.

As a rookie he looked like a complete puss his first few months. he literally looked like he was scared to take a dribble. When he got the ball he would immidiately look to pass or sometimes throw up a brick. It was awful.

Then one day during a blowout in garbage time the coaches gave him the ball and told him to do what he wanted. And he did, driving past everyone who tried to guard him. he scored 26 that game and it did a lot for his confidence.

During the second half of the season he showed signs of being a player but was very frustrating to watch. his j looked good but just didn't go in. And when he drove he had the habit of jumping into people trying to clear space for a shot which didn't work because he was weak and clumsy. He was one of the league leaders in getting his shot blocked.

Last year he had a broken hand and missed a lot of time which hurt him. But he showed more signs of life. he occasionally showed a good jump hook and the ability to finish with either hand on a drive. he had a few hot streaks with his j but was inconsistent.

Overall he is a player who isn't that aggressive offensively. he rarely forces things and has to be pushed to shoot more often. But he did very well in preseason and is averaging 18 ppg shooting 60% so far. Last night his J was money against the Suns.

he has also become a good defender. he has long arms and has good quickness not to mention being over 230 pounds.

While he was clearly the wrong pick I still think he can be a very productive player.
tontoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:28 PM   #6
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year

DatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat cool

Undrafted. I don't get it
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:33 PM   #7
JohnnyBravo5
Local High School Star

JohnnyBravo5 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
he got drafted above Deron Williams and Chris Paul by a team that was in desperate need of a PG like no team in history.

At the time of that draft, the consensus opinion was that the two best players in the draft were Bogut and Marvin Williams. It was largely believed that we needed a center worse than a pg because at the time Ty Lue had come off of a career year and our centers were Peja Drobnak and Jason Collier (RIP)

In fact this was our Roster

#2004-2005 ATLANTA HAWKS ROSTER#

NO. PLAYER POS HT WT YRS DOB FROM
== ====== === == == === === ====
00 Tony Delk G 6-2 189 8 1/28/74 Kentucky
1 Josh Childress G 6-8 210 R 6/20/83 Stanford
3 Al Harrington F 6-9 250 6 2/17/80 St. Patrick's (NJ) HS
5 Josh Smith F 6-9 225 R 12/5/85 Oak Hill Academy
7 Tom Gugliotta F 6-10 250 12 12/19/69 North Carolina St.
10 Tyronn Lue G 6-0 178 5 5/3/77 Nebraska
13 Boris Diaw F 6-8 215 1 4/16/82 France
14 Predrag Drobnjak C 6-11 270 3 10/27/75 Serbia
15 Donta Smith G 6-7 215 R 11/27/83 Southeastern Illinois
36 Royal Ivey G 6-3 200 R 12/20/81 Texas
40 Jason Collier C 7-0 260 4 9/8/77 Georgia Tech
42 I-Kevin Willis C 7-0 245 20 9/6/62 Michigan St.
44 I-Michael Stewart C 6-10 230 7 4/25/75 California
54 Obinna Ekezie F 6-9 270 4 8/22/75 Maryland

Not only that but we were bringing in JJ to play PG.

So if the Bucks would have picked Marvin, then we would have drafted Bogut.
JohnnyBravo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:35 PM   #8
new noise
madvillain

new noise has an OK reputation so far

He almost passed up North Carolina to jump straight from high school, didn't he? I remember seeing him on the cover of Slam with Livingston and Telfair, the year the draft was just flooded with high schoolers trying to follow in LeBron's footsteps.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:36 PM   #9
steve

steve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatZNasty

Undrafted. I don't get it
Well, for one he didn't have an outside shot, he was basically a power forward withouth have the size, frame or strength (and wasn't all that good of a rebounder) and if he couldn't play power forward in the NBA, he didn't have the foot speed to keep up with small forwards. Where is Jawad playing nowadays anyway?
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:41 PM   #10
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

loot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15

Why would this obvious but rather offtopic statement end the thread, geewiz? Does his draft position have anything to do with how he currently plays? The OP never asked for a draft grade for the Hawks.
loot is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: