Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Who is the greatest rebounder of all-time ?

Quote Originally Posted by KWALI
    Rodman was never a better rebounder than Charles Barkley......he just did nothing else....

WILT, MOSES, RUSSELL, KAREEM, BARKS even Lucas and then Rodman
    Oh boy so you're gonna rip off Sir Charles quote "If i focused just on rebounding I could avg a lot too".

HeartHustleHope

Dennis Rodman.
    All he wanted to do was rebound,he never wanted to score,just rebound.

End Of.

erudite

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Oh boy so you're gonna rip off Sir Charles quote "If i focused just on rebounding I could avg a lot too".
    You a little younger than me but go to SIXER Barkley Round Mound of Rebound...and then to late Barkley with the Rockets..... He was killing boards.

At simply the skill of rebounding. not stats. Barkley is better...he took up more space on the floor and went up and got the ball better than Rodman and his tipping style. Match them up in a game and tell either one to erase each other on the boards Barkley Wins......Actually I should add Karl Malone up top too maybe Buck WIlliam although I wouldn't put BUCK aheadof Rodman but on his level...Jayson Williams.

I think Rodman's post D and his ability to play mind games that's where Rodman was greatest of the great....

Very good NBA starter

the numbers point to wilt. 27 boards a game. wilt did that while also being asked to be a scoring machine. and he probably had at least two guys boxing him out everytime he attacked the glass.

sure, it was the 60s, and that era always gets downplayed for lack of muscle and athletic ability.

but do you think a guy like barkley or rodman could had averaged 27boards a game in that era if he was just forced to focus on rebounding?

maybe. maybe not. but what if wilt was also asked to focus on just rebounding during that era as well?

would he had averaged 35 or even 40 boards a game? what if... what if....

You a little younger than me but go to SIXER Barkley Round Mound of Rebound...and then to late Barkley with the Rockets..... He was killing boards.

At simply the skill of rebounding. not stats. Barkley is better...he took up more space on the floor and went up and got the ball better than Rodman and his tipping style. Match them up in a game and tell either one to erase each other on the boards Barkley Wins......Actually I should add Karl Malone up top too maybe Buck WIlliam although I wouldn't put BUCK aheadof Rodman but on his level...Jayson Williams.

I think Rodman's post D and his ability to play mind games that's where Rodman was greatest of the great....
    Karl Malone?

Just stop. I'll concede Barkley can be argued. But Karl? Buck? Jayson? No.

If someone adjusts Wilt's and Russell's numbers in Rodman's era, their rebounding numbers still rival or beat Rodman's. A main reason for this though would be due to the more minutes they played. So, judging from Rodman's rebounding rate, he should rank higher.
    But his one-dimensional style of play is what prevents him from doing so. Especially after his Detroit days, it seemed that the guy would never leave the paint, even to guard players with a good outside shot like Horry. Now, Wilt and Russell didn't leave the paint either, but for sure they weren't focusing on just specific numbers. Even Wilt, who always wanted to collect stats, never cared solely about rebounding. Russell hardly did anyway.
    Wilt also had to do tons of other things, including taking turnaround/fadeaway, "low-offensively-reboundable" shots (something which, to an extent, was his own fault) and blocking shots, which affected his rebounding--compare to Rodman who'd hardly ever shoot in a game and was a poor shot-blocker.
    Finally: Some people hold it against Wilt in the GOAT discussions that his scoring fell during the playoffs. But so did Rodman's playoff rebounding. I'm sure not many know this, but Rodman loses to Wilt and Russell in playoff rebounding, even after the "playing time" and "era pace" adjustments.

Overall, I conclude that he can rank anywhere between No1 and 3 of all-time. Simple stats say he's not No1. Advanced stats say he is. Other additional factors say both are arguable.

NEVER forget da SONICS RainierBeachPoet's Avatar

Default unseld love

one of the most awesome impact rebounders in the league was wes unseld. he averaged 14 rpg for his career

for those who havenet seen him play, my best description is: imagine barkely a few inches taller with wider shoulders

both wes, charles, russell and rodman had an extraordinary DESIRE to rebound. this type of will cannot be taught and these guys were so fun to watch because of it

Good High School Starter lakers-city's Avatar

Match them up in a game and tell either one to erase each other on the boards Barkley Wins
    and you know this because ?

.....Actually I should add Karl Malone up top too maybe Buck WIlliam although I wouldn't put BUCK aheadof Rodman but on his level...Jayson Williams.
    malone ? williams ?!?!

omfg just stop.

Default Re: unseld love

Quote Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
    one of the most awesome impact rebounders in the league was wes unseld. he averaged 14 rpg for his career

for those who havenet seen him play, my best description is: imagine barkely a few inches taller with wider shoulders

both wes, charles, russell and rodman had an extraordinary DESIRE to rebound. this type of will cannot be taught and these guys were so fun to watch because of it
    i agree, when discussing the greatest forwards ever people forget about wes for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    Finally: Some people hold it against Wilt in the GOAT discussions that his scoring fell during the playoffs. But so did Rodman's playoff rebounding. I'm sure not many know this, but Rodman loses to Wilt and Russell in playoff rebounding, even after the "playing time" and "era pace" adjustments.

not that, i don't care how much he specifically averaged, but how he failed to take over offensivelly, how he wasn't clutch, how he underperformed in big games, thats what people hold against him, few arguable GOATs have underpeformed in as much important nba finals games which resulted in losses as wilt did.

not that, i don't care how much he specifically averaged, but how he failed to take over offensivelly, how he wasn't clutch, how he underperformed in big games, thats what people hold against him, few arguable GOATs have underpeformed in as much important nba finals games which resulted in losses as wilt did.
    Basically, I just wanted to draw a parallel here (after all, it's only rebounding what we're talking about), saying that Rodman underperformed plenty of times in the playoffs, so, if some people judge Wilt (or others) from some of their playoff underperformances, they should do the same about Rodman, when it comes to rebounding. Check Rodman's rebounding in the 1997 or 1998Finals, for example. It's inferior not only to Wilt's or Russell's but to some of his contemporaries, as well. Rodman was just lucky to constantly have a couple of players better than him to fill in the gaps and lead him to titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    Basically, I just wanted to draw a parallel here (after all, it's only rebounding what we're talking about), saying that Rodman underperformed plenty of times in the playoffs, so, if some people judge Wilt (or others) from some of their playoff underperformances, they should do the same about Rodman, when it comes to rebounding. Check Rodman's rebounding in the 1997 or 1998Finals, for example. It's inferior not only to Wilt's or Russell's but to some of his contemporaries, as well. Rodman was just lucky to constantly have a couple of players better than him to fill in the gaps and lead him to titles.

yeah, of course, no one, by any means, is saying rodman > wilt overall just because he was arguably a better rebounder, despite his underperformances in some important playoff games wilt did lead his teams to 2 nba championships and those are 2 of the greatest teams ever no less, rodman never lead anybody anywhere,wilt was a beast both offensivelly (all his career) and defensivelly (his late 76ers years and lakers years), rodman was a one dimensional player who gave you nothing on offense.

erudite

Quote Originally Posted by lakers-city
    and you know this because ?

malone ? williams ?!?!

omfg just stop.
    Becuz I've watched them matched up against each other...remember the SPURS and the SUNS matched up against each other....of course if you never take an inital shot you can lead the L in rebounding ...it's like Ben Wallace now...is he a better rebounder than Elton Brand TD or KG? **** no...

You simpletons who do some % of team rebounding ish and go from there are number crunchers you should join a board for statisticians...not basketball becuz you know little about it.

If you for one minute think that KARL MALONE couldn't physically dominate Dennis Rodman your a fool.... The only advantager Rodman had on everyone is he wasn't concerned with anything other than rebounding...at all...Jayson Williams is the only one who I'd take out but I remeber him giong crazy on boards for a time....I'd also say Kevin Willis if he didn't play until he got old...ATL Willis wasa crazy athelet just had shiotty small hands

ben wallace is deffinitelly a better rebounder than brand, you should be laughing at yourself for suggesting otherwise, ben wallace outrebounded shaq in 04 and that post season shaq had outrebounded yao, duncan and garnett , i don't think wallace is better than duncan at rebounding but im not sure, he is not better than garnett by any means, but he is a better offensive rebounder than both of them and thats something you can always count on.

sure karl malone could dominate rodman 1 on 1 if they tried to outrebound each other, but phuck this isn't tennis or golf, 1 on 1 crap doesn't mean jack, in their proffesional nba careers rodman rebounder better than malone, is that really hard to understand ? if i had to make an all-rebounding all-time team karl malone wouldn't make my bench.
    Last edited by lakers-city; 02-19-2007 at 03:26 PM.

Mars Blackmon Lives!

i missed wilt and russ, but as psilias said, if you adjust for their style / era of play their numbers are still right there with dennis, and they had more responsibilities. i watched every season that rodman, barkley, hakeem, shaq, and garnett played, and they are the best rebounders i've seen. charles and dennis had the most desire, and i always thought barkley was the best between the two because he was more able to just go and get a board without having to boxout and manuveur (his size and strength were a natural box out and he had that insane leaping ability before his back went). dennis though was more dedicated to going after every single board and never got tired, so he's got a good argument. hakeem and garnett were amazing because of their range getting rebounds. so often hakeem would leap out at shooter to disturb the shot and then recover to outmanuvuer his own man for the board. garnett is even more impressive because he plays defense on the perimeter so often. the amount of distance he covers coming to the ball is amazing. shaq just took up so much and was really explosive off the floor. he could get 11 boards without trying. moses was awesome on the offensive boards, but as rainierbeachpoet mentioned, he sort of padded his stats by using the self-pass off the board move. other great rebounders of my time: webber - best hands i ever saw, good timing, and terrific athleticism in his youth; oakley - took up space, fought for every inch, and wasn't afraid to hurt somebody to get that ball; and karl malone was just so strong and determined. amazing how well he went from boarding on d to leading a break on o (though that doesn't factor in). i guess my favorite rebounder to watch was barkley, but i don't see any real separation between him and dennis.