Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: The Tragedy Of Allen Iverson

Over $100 million and A.I didn't even bother saving a large sum of it? Hell, I'd have opened up several businesses in his shoes, just to be on the safe side in case the NBA career didn't pan out for as long as desirable.

It's the classic case of underestimated spending, overestimated earning, overestimated future earning and unchecked balance.

Decent playground baller

People know he has lifetime contract w/ reebok right. No reporter knows an athletes finances, AI is good man. Relax.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jlitt
    People know he has lifetime contract w/ reebok right. No reporter knows an athletes finances, AI is good man. Relax.
    You are so misinformed it's hilarious. He's definitely not "good" and it's not hard to get an idea of his finances with a little investigation. This latest jewelry incident isn't his first problem when it comes to money. I don't think you really know what his "lifetime" contract with Reebok means. Welcome to the real world buddy. There are no "lifetime" contracts.

Learning to shoot layups

60% of NBA players go bankrupt after they retire. Just goes to show how important a basic education actually is.

It seems AI has truly been blackballed. The EXACT reason why is up for debate. But if anything he's a first ballot HOFer (at least should be), redefined a position, and was other than Shaq the most transcendant (hell arguably THE most transcendant at least till Bron got going) star of his era. And he is arguably as high as number 5 on a GOAT SG list. He had damn good longevity as a great player. He just had that weird season with Memphis and Philly. Even with Detroit he was still in backend prime phase. So im sad he didn't end his career with a ring or in the L. But I'm glad he was great for a long time. I feel worse for guys like Penny, Hill, and TMac. AI put in enough work and stayed healthy enough to leave a huge mark on the L.

In terms of financial, I guess that's different. I feel AI felt he would always have a place in the L. But that seems it isn't the case. So in that sense, it makes the financial woes tougher. He felt he would be in the L till his late 30's or maybe till even 40 and still make millions. Ya he blew hella money, but he figured he would make millions back.
    Last edited by bizil; 02-05-2012 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by magic14
    60% of NBA players go bankrupt after they retire. Just goes to show how important a basic education actually is.
    Education doesn't have a damn thing to do with this, common sense does. For your info, more and more college graduates are declaring bankruptcy -- a 20% increase since 2006.

Being a graduate means you have a piece of paper with your college and degree on it. It doesn't mean that you can employ common sense in taking care of daily business.

AI, and the players who go broke, lack the common sense to pare down and spent less as the end of their careers approach. On the other hand, some players do this, and live quite well.

Jamaal Mashburn didn't get a degree from Kentucky, I don't believe, yet dude owns all kinds of franchises and is doing great financially.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    You are so misinformed it's hilarious. He's definitely not "good" and it's not hard to get an idea of his finances with a little investigation. This latest jewelry incident isn't his first problem when it comes to money. I don't think you really know what his "lifetime" contract with Reebok means. Welcome to the real world buddy. There are no "lifetime" contracts.

Look is AI liquid, doubtful. I guarentee you he has a variety of assets that are put away whether it be investments, life insurance policies, retirement funds, etc. etc. Also he receives a pension since he was a NBA vet for 10 years. So while an investigator may be able to get his income tax fillings, those taxes do not however report investments that have not been taking out. Alot of these stories about an nba's players income is exaggerated completely.

I guarentee you he has a variety of assets that are put away whether it be investments, life insurance policies, retirement funds, etc. etc.
    Half of that, or a good portion of it, will go to Tawanna.

It will not end well for AI.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
    Half of that, or a good portion of it, will go to Tawanna.

It will not end well for AI.
    I agree, it may not end well for AI ( not talking about finances)

Look is AI liquid, doubtful. I guarentee you he has a variety of assets that are put away whether it be investments, life insurance policies, retirement funds, etc. etc. Also he receives a pension since he was a NBA vet for 10 years. So while an investigator may be able to get his income tax fillings, those taxes do not however report investments that have not been taking out. Alot of these stories about an nba's players income is exaggerated completely.
    He's going broke and it's definitely not going to end well. If he had money he wouldn't be bothered by jewelry problems and car problems, etc. I don't just "guarentee" it. I guarantee it.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    He's going broke and it's definitely not going to end well. If he had money he wouldn't be bothered by jewelry problems and car problems, etc. I don't just "guarentee" it. I guarantee it.
    Look I live in philly, i've seen his house in Ardmore. I have a friend who did an internship with his agent. These agents now a days protect these players from themselves, Investing alot of money and putting players on allowances. They run into money problems because they arent as liquid as you might imagine. Its not like they put 150 mill in a checking acct. They have allowances, a variety of checking accts and these players spend spend spend until their agent gives them next month's allowance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    I think it does too some extent as well, but I can't see how a guy who's talented and keeps himself at least in somewhat good shape can't get a shot in the NBA again, yet guys like Eddy Curry, Larry Highes, etc etc do. He was more talented in the first place, came with issues yes. But how many teams need a guy just to sell tickets/jerseys?

Both Hughes and Curry are significantly younger than AI. Allen's 36 and overcame his lack of size with speed and athleticism. That stuff goes away with age and lack of diligence in keeping in shape.

Look at the minutes being played by Hughes and Curry. Think AI wouldn't be griping if that was his role? He's always contrite after the fact, but that doesn't stop the public bitching and moaning.

I'm a Sixer fan who loved AI but let's face it: he's a dick. A headache wherever he's been. He goes out of his way to find ways to be a distraction. The same chip on his shoulder that made him a great player...the whole world's against me...makes him more high maintenance than he's worth at this stage.

Look I live in philly, i've seen his house in Ardmore. I have a friend who did an internship with his agent. These agents now a days protect these players from themselves, Investing alot of money and putting players on allowances. They run into money problems because they arent as liquid as you might imagine. Its not like they put 150 mill in a checking acct. They have allowances, a variety of checking accts and these players spend spend spend until their agent gives them next month's allowance.

Yes. Look what a great job those agents have done for Lenny Dykstra, Mike Tyson, Lawrence Taylor, Evander Holyfield, Antoine Walker, Latrell Sprewell, Jack Clark, Johnny Unitas, Bjorn Borg, Kenny Anderson, Scottie Pippen, David Akers, Chris McAllister, Muhsin Muhummad, Deuce McAllister, Rollie Fingers...

Point is, it can happen to anyone, even those that apparently had good sense and wise spending habits. AI can never be accused of either of those.

And his "lifetime contract" with Reebok? That means he can't endorse anyone else's products, not that he gets paid for the rest of his life. What endorsement value does he have to them now or any time in the future?

Well, I live in Delaware and have seen his house as well but I'm not sure what this has to do with the conversation. I know an Nba agent who was on my summer league team and also know people who play and have played in the NBA. All that being said, agents are scummy crooks and you're very naive. Investments? People were falling over themselves just for a chance to invest with Bernie Madoff and look how that turned out. Again, that dude is obviously going broke. You do realize that Eddy Curry was having his house foreclosed and got a pay advance for an upcoming season two years ago? Do you not think that he had a competent agent? I know it's hard for you to admit that your favorite player who kept things so real is really an idiot, but unfortunately he is. It has nothing to do with him having a big heart, it has to do with him being an insufferable moron. But that's ok because he's not alone Antoine Walker can keep him company.