Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Back to Business

Default Re: Kareem on Dirk: "One trick pony"

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonyeuw
    If Kareem was to apply that logic objectively, the same could be said of Magic. I mean, Magic was a good rebounder and obviously an offensive maestro, but he wasn't defending or blocking anything. And I doubt he would consider Magic a one trick pony or not a dominant force.

NEGATIVE

You do understand what kareem was saying right or do you refuse to comprehend it??

He is saying all dirk really focused on was shooting. shooting from anywhere on the court doesn't make you NOT one dimensional. I agree with kareem DIRK could have been a lot better. He could of totally been what he was plus what kg/duncan was. EASILY.....BUT you all will say im hating and will fail to look at it in that light. Dirk could have EASILY finished his career as the SECOND or THIRD BEST PLAYER TO EVER PLAY THE GAME...he had it all.....the jumper,the size, earlier in his career he had the athleticism...no he wasn't elite athletically but he could move like a kg/Duncan.

There are only seven players in NBA history with 10000 points, 10000 rebounds, 1000 blocks, 1000 steals and 3000 assists. Dirk is one of them.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by miggyme1
    NEGATIVE

You do understand what kareem was saying right or do you refuse to comprehend it??

He is saying all dirk really focused on was shooting. shooting from anywhere on the court doesn't make you NOT one dimensional. I agree with kareem DIRK could have been a lot better. He could of totally been what he was plus what kg/duncan was. EASILY.....BUT you all will say im hating and will fail to look at it in that light. Dirk could have EASILY finished his career as the SECOND or THIRD BEST PLAYER TO EVER PLAY THE GAME...he had it all.....the jumper,the size, earlier in his career he had the athleticism...no he wasn't elite athletically but he could move like a kg/Duncan.

That's like saying KG and Duncan could have done what Dirk did.

Different guys have different skill sets. KG is a prodigious defender. Duncan is a prodigious low-post player. Dirk is a prodigious shooter. You can't just tell one of them "hey, that other guy is 7 feet tall also, that means you should be able to do anything he does!"

Doesn't work like that. Your comment is absurd, tbh.

Back to Business

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile

That's like saying KG and Duncan could have done what Dirk did.

Different guys have different skill sets. KG is a prodigious defender. Duncan is a prodigious low-post player. Dirk is a prodigious shooter. You can't just tell one of them "hey, that other guy is 7 feet tall also, that means you should be able to do anything he does!"

Doesn't work like that. Your comment is absurd, tbh.

NEGATIVE

GREAT SHOOTERS ARE BORN NOT MADE. You can BECOME A GREAT REBOUNDER....YOU CAN BECOME A GREAT DEFENDER. YOU CAN DEVELOP A HIGH IQ FOR THE GAME. Think before you speak next time

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

He is saying all dirk really focused on was shooting. shooting from anywhere on the court doesn't make you NOT one dimensional. I agree with kareem DIRK could have been a lot better. He could of totally been what he was plus what kg/duncan was. .
    wtf.. so I take it you also think Steve Nash couldve been Gary Payton if only he just focused on defense a little more ..?

NEGATIVE

The only person who doesn't seem to understand what was said is you. Again, if Kareem is critiquing Dirk's game by saying he was deficient in certain categories, it is absolutely valid and relevant to point out that his own GOAT level teammate lacked some of those deficiencies. Now, to be clear I'm not saying that Dirk is on Magic's level of greatness, obviously he's in that 18-25 range as a player. But to say that Dirk didn't have a dominant career is ridiculous, I don't give a **** if Kareem is the one making the comment.

Players have different skillsets and aptitudes. Can Duncan shoot like Dirk? Nope. Can Dirk defend like Duncan? So with a little more focus, Dirk could have been everything he was with KG/Duncan's defensive impact? So if KG/Duncan focused a little more, they would be on Dirk's level as a shooter? Your position is ridiculous. Tell me, how can a guy on track for 30k career points, an MVP, and a championship as the unquestioned driving force not be dominant? The Mavs have basically been in the thick of the western conference for the past 17 years. Who do you think is the catalyst behind that, despite multiple coach and players changes?
    Last edited by Dragonyeuw; 02-03-2016 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    wtf.. so I take it you also think Steve Nash couldve been Gary Payton if only he just focused on defense a little more ..?
    Yep, and with a bit more focus. Rondo can shoot like Curry.

NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

This is what they call irony.

Kblaze has said as much about Dirk as well.

Think before you speak next time
    For humanity's sake, PLEASE take your own advice.

OP have taken Kareem's speech out of context. Kareem prepared good all around players, traditional low post players, and solid defensive players.

By the way Kareem should have been a 3x NBA Finals MVP. He was arguably the Lakers best player in the 1980 NBA Finals.

Back to Business

Quote Originally Posted by tpols

not a little MORE.

ALOT MORE

I can tell which guys in these threads have played sports and which ones have never played sports a day in their lives. You can become a great defender. You think gary payton was born locking guys down??? NO...DID HE HAVE A BETTER HEAD START THAN MOST???YES MORE THAN LIKELY BUT GREAT DEFENSE IS ALL ABOUT EFFORT AND TECHNIQUE...SOMETHIGN ANYBODY CAN LEARN HOW TO DO. STOP OVERRATING THESE PLAYERS.

COULD STEVE NASH BE A TRASH TALKING BALD HEADED GET IN YOUR FACE TYPE PLAYER????? F*CK NO BUT HE COULD HAVE EASILY BEEN A GREAT TWO WAY PG.

NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    OP have taken Kareem's speech out of context. Kareem prepared good all around players, traditional low post players, and solid defensive players.

By the way Kareem should have been a 3x NBA Finals MVP. He was arguably the Lakers best player in the 1980 NBA Finals.
    No arguably about it, he was their best player until he got hurt before the last game. Then Magic has the performance of any Rookie's career and he won a FMVP that should've been about an entire series for a single game.

If FMVP is only about one game then people were right that Gasol should've won over Kobe in 2010.....Not like Kobe showed up for the 6 games prior when Gasol didn't or anything.

Back to Business

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonyeuw
    For humanity's sake, PLEASE take your own advice.

EXACTLY...NO DEBATE BECAUSE YOU JUST GOT OWNED. ANYBODY ELSE

EXACTLY...NO DEBATE BECAUSE YOU JUST GOT OWNED. ANYBODY ELSE
    This fvucking cvunt. You haven't spouted anything but BS on this page, easily debunked by everyone else on this page.

NBA Legend

not a little MORE.

ALOT MORE

I can tell which guys in these threads have played sports and which ones have never played sports a day in their lives. You can become a great defender. You think gary payton was born locking guys down??? NO...DID HE HAVE A BETTER HEAD START THAN MOST???YES MORE THAN LIKELY BUT GREAT DEFENSE IS ALL ABOUT EFFORT AND TECHNIQUE...SOMETHIGN ANYBODY CAN LEARN HOW TO DO. STOP OVERRATING THESE PLAYERS.

COULD STEVE NASH BE A TRASH TALKING BALD HEADED GET IN YOUR FACE TYPE PLAYER????? F*CK NO BUT HE COULD HAVE EASILY BEEN A GREAT TWO WAY PG.

Dude, youre wrong.

If every player puts an equal effort into defense, then there will still be guys who have naturally longer arms to block shots and disrupt passing lanes, guys with stronger cavs and quads who can crouch down and glide side to side more easily, some guys just naturally read offensive players body language and anticipate their intentions better.

Youre speaking in cliches a coach would tell a middle school bball camp. "Just try your best and you can be as good as anybody!"

It's not how it works my friend. Some people have natural advantages. Some people are just really good at particular things. Thats why not only Steve Nash isnt as good as GP on defense, but the vast majority of guards in history arent. And many of them worked hard. But guys who separate themselves at the very top level usually have built-in advantages. Thinking every NBA player has the ability to be an equal defender, shooter, rebounder as every other player is just... Ridiculous.