An Icon Forever

Default Elvis Presley & The Black Community - That Echo Will Never Die

Default Re: Elvis Presley & The Black Community - That Echo Will Never Die

The Elvis debate.

As me looking into Elvis more than in the past, I've come to see him in a new light.

I called him a Jackie Wilson/Clyde McPhatter swagger jacker, but he was much more than that. He was real to the craft the whole way through. Unlike your say Justin Timberflake, also from Tennessee.

An Icon Forever

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    As me looking into Elvis more than in the past, I've come to see him in a new light.

I called him a Jackie Wilson/Clyde McPhatter swagger jacker, but he was much more than that. He was real to the craft the whole way through. Unlike your say Justin Timberflake, also from Tennessee.
    What info did you read that made you realize Elvis was real to the craft the whole way through? Why do you feel Justin isn't real to the craft?

Quote Originally Posted by Heilige
    What info did you read that made you realize Elvis was real to the craft the whole way through? Why do you feel Justin isn't real to the craft?
    Because Elvis was doing Blues tunes when he first came out.

Meanwhile, Timberflake and N*Stync were in a head to head battle with the Backstreet Boys for the hottest boy band of the new millennium. Not an ounce of soul was spoken about him until he hooked up with Pharrell.

Meanwhile, Timberflake and N*Stync were in a head to head battle with the Backstreet Boys for the hottest boy band of the new millennium. Not an ounce of soul was spoken about him until he hooked up with Pharrell.
    Yea, because Justin had creative control as a kid in a boy band.

You can't be serious cuz?

Come on. Jt is fonky. Don't hate.

An Icon Forever

You didn't originally know Elvis was doing blues tunes when he first came out? What did you read that made you change your mind about him?

I think JT wanted to do different music with nsync but didn't have creative control.

He wanted nsync to do songs like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbRwSI8yi1o

Seems legit to me man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy5Y13xMYso

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIx6_Z5v88k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8raiV4fdzU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8Ep-BtIs3w

How many white people do you really think can do what he does man? c'mon now. If he wasn't legit many white people should be able to emulate and repilcate what JT is doing.

Did this when he was little:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEgGWHtVIhQ

How many white kids at that age do you think can do that?
    Last edited by Heilige; 07-03-2015 at 03:29 AM.

Banned

I don't think Elvis set out to swaggerjack black musicians, from what I've read, the idea was Sam Phillips'. Phillips had been looking for a "black sound in a white boy" for years before meeting Elvis.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus-Sack
    I don't think Elvis set out to swaggerjack black musicians, from what I've read, the idea was Sam Phillips'. Phillips had been looking for a "black sound in a white boy" for years before meeting Elvis.
    Like Sam Phillips , Elvis genuinely liked the old blues / gospel music .

Elvis simply walked in to his studio .It wasn't as if Phillips created him or forced him to sing something he did not like./appreciate.

An Icon Forever

Quote Originally Posted by 32jazz
    Like Sam Phillips , Elvis genuinely liked the old blues / gospel music .

Elvis simply walked in to his studio .It wasn't as if Phillips created him or forced him to sing something he did not like./appreciate.

Why do you think many black people dislike Elvis?

In the 50's black fans and in particular black artists were down with Elvis. They recognized him as someone simpatico and respectful of black culture. Also as someone playing black music and calling black musicians his friends from the concert stage he was subversive for his time. I personally believe you don'get the civil rights victories of the 60's without the rock and roll explosion of the 50s

It was later on that fake rumors spread about Elvis and black folks.
    Last edited by KevinNYC; 07-03-2015 at 03:22 PM.

Real musicians worship music before any other affiliation - it doesn't mean they don't respect their or anyone else's culture, but the music comes first. The fraternity of artists transcends race, religion and language. In the artistic world, you can only be "good" or "bad", "talented", or "untalented", "authentic" or "fake". Good recognizes good, talent recognizes talent, authenticity recognizes authenticity.

Therefore genuine artists who care about the craft always have more in common between themselves than with people who resemble them in more superficial ways. Charles Mingus (an artist seen as very "black") is more similar to Brian Wilson (an artist seen as very "white") than to the average guy on the street, even if he happens to be black. Heck, a serious writer, black or white, has more in common with Shakespeare, who died centuries ago, than with his still alive cousin who works in say marketing. It's just like basketball: Magic Johnson and Larry Bird, Kobe Bryant and Dirk Nowitzki, fundamentally belong to the same "tribe".

So what really matters from an artistic standpoint is whether Elvis was talented or not. You can debate his personal life, personal views, if you want, but the music should be judged on its own merits.

Blacks shouldn't play piano. Dats stealin.