Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Biased Troll

Default These playoffs prove guys like Carmelo, Rudy Gay, Amare are OVERRATED by dumb fans

I'll write more on this later, but can someone tell me what the difference is between having a guy like Carmelo take a low percentage shot and having a guy like Gallinari or Battier or Mike Miller taking a high % shot? "Stars" who are slightly better at taking contested, difficult shots than other players make the morons here wet their panties, THATS NOT THE POINT OF BASKETBALL.

ESPN and Nike and Gatorade etc. make these guys out to be stars because their difficult, off-balance, jab step turnaround fadeaway three pointers look cool and make fans go "wowweeee!" but the truth is thats got nothing to do with BASKETBALL.

Denver and Memphis replaced these "stars" (who dont do anything above average for their position other than field goal attempts) with ordinary role players and suffered NO DROPOFF WHATSOEVER. New York paired Amare Stoudamire with Carmelo Anthony and got broomed out of the playoffs disgracefully. Kobe "best closer on the planet" got broomed out as well.

I propose that to be considered a "star" you have to do MORE THAN ONE THING well for your position. That means you board and D like Howard, you pass, board and score like Bron, you score, pass, and D like Paul, rebound and score like Randolph or Griffin etc. and you could include a guy like Dirk because his scoring is so insanely efficient. Same with Durant

Carmelo Anthony, Rudy Gay, Amare Stoudamire are NO BETTER than Marc Gasol, who can shoot a decent midrange but also REBOUNDS AND PLAYS D. Same with guys like Scola or Bynum. They are every bit as impactful as those "stars"

I'm sick of reject morons on this site who just buy into all the ESPN marketing of high-scoring, high-volume shooting wing players who dont actually MAKE A SIGNIFICANT IMPACT.

Howard
    James
    Dirk
    Paul
    Griffin
    Wade
    Randolph
    Durant

>>>>>

Carmelo
    Amare
    Rudy
    Kobe
    Joe Johnson
    Rose

Sorry 4 Truth. THose guys are role players. All they do is take field goals with mediocre efficiency. Just because the shots they take are tougher than what most guys take, doesnt make them great.

Role players.

Sorry 4 Truth.
    Last edited by FourthTenor; 05-09-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Default Re: These playoffs prove guys like Carmelo, Rudy Gay, Amare are OVERRATED by dumb fans

Default Re: These playoffs prove guys like Carmelo, Rudy Gay, Amare are OVERRATED by dumb fans

no one sucks more than you.

Biased Troll

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    no one sucks more than you.

You're the Carmelo Anthony of message boards.

Low bball IQ.

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

every team left in the playoffs have at least one legitmate star. Memphis has zack randolph who you would consider low iq probably. Hawks are carried by crawford, josh smith, joe johnson, who are all "low efficiency and iq" players.

not sure how this proves your point at all.

HeatFan since Decision

Quote Originally Posted by AI3Anthony
    This.

Biased Troll

Quote Originally Posted by STATUTORY

every team left in the playoffs have at least one legitmate star. Memphis has zack randolph who you would consider low iq probably. Hawks are carried by crawford, josh smith, joe johnson, who are all "low efficiency and iq" players.

Randolph is a prodigious scorer and rebounder.

The Hawks do not have any legitimate stars. THey have a TEAM full of decent players, which is enough to get you to the 2nd round of the east and then out.

This notion that you must have a media star to be a good team is more fan hype sentiment. Fans love having one "hero" rather than a bunch of ordinary guys working to get it done together. Yeah, most great teams have a great player, but fans try to "force" someone on each team into superstar status, so they can identify the team more easily. Carmelo Anthony aint any kind of star. Either is Stoudamire, either is Joe Johnson and no longer is Kobe Bryant. Period.

We don't know how the Knicks would have played if Amare and Billups were healthy.
    Maybe they could even beat the Celtics.

But I know refs stole the victory from them in game 1 and that Melo almost beat them single-handedly in game 2 when he put up 42/17/6

This thread deserves a lot of these

NBA rookie of the year

Amar'e is an efficient scorer and okay rebounder who played well in the fourth quarter all year long. Blocked almost 2 shots a game too. And he really thrives in team-oriented, ball-moving basketball.

I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by FourthTenor
    You're the Carmelo Anthony of message boards.

Low bball IQ.
    I was talking about the AiAnthony guy

Your post was fine, I agree save for the inclusion of Rose.

It's really funny how you talk about Durant as insanely efficient while you call Melo a role player who isn't efficient.

Durant this season: .462 FG% , .350 3-pt%
    Melo this season: .455 FG% , .378 3-pt %

What's even worse Melo averages more rebounds and assists than Durant.

I won't call you names and insult you but your post isn't smart at all.
    Last edited by Clutch; 05-09-2011 at 03:53 PM.

Biased Troll

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch
    It's really funny how you talk about Durant as insanely efficient while you call Melo a role player who isn't efficient.

Durant this season: .462 FG% , .350 3-pt%
    Melo this season: .455 FG% , .378 3-pt %

What's even worse Melo averages more rebounds and assists than Durant.

To be honest, I didnt include Durant initially, I edited him in because I figured I'd get hammered for not including him after the way he's played in the playoffs.

But he does take and make more FT's than Carmelo, he has an overall efficiency rating 3 points higher, and while he's not a defensive stopper, at least he's not a total braindead moron on defense like Carmelo. He hustles and leads by example and takes pride in his team. These also separate him from the one-dimensional, one-brain cell Carmelo Anthony.

I probably would include Durant in the "over rated superstar" category along with Rose, but I'd still have him a peg above Carmelo.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Rudy Gay is injured...how does this prove he is overrated??

if they are this good now, having him healthy and in the lineup would put them over the top
    Last edited by OriginalNameGuy; 05-09-2011 at 04:01 PM.

Biased Troll

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalNameGuy
    Rudy Gay is injured...how does this prove he is overrated??

He has an 80 million dollar contract and is considered by many fans a "first option" but his teams performance didnt change a lick when he went out of the lineup. Same thing happened to Carmelo in Denver.

Do you think that would happen to the Magic or the Heat or the Hornets or the Mavericks?

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by AI3Anthony
    This.

And I don't know what your point is dude. Amar'e and Carmelo have both had playoff success and great postseason performances (Amar'e especially). The team just wasn't ready for it this year.