Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default There are only 3 GOAT, been that way for decades

This is the bible, and won't change for many years to come

1. MJ
    2. Magic
    3. Bird

You then have Kareem, Hakim, (Not a big fan of Russell, would have West ahead of him, but technicality & respect in regards to era, he gets mentioned) Wilt Chamberlain, and then whoever else following, sort them as you please.

Judgement and overall ranking is reserved for Lebron and Curry until both retire.

Before any delusional Kobetards try chiming in, I'll answer for these idiots.

Kobe barely scrapes in @ bottom 20 or 25 due to technicality reasons like Bill. Even though he piggy backed off big men with his impeccable ball IQ and insatiable FG percentage, 5 rings is 5 rings right? Robert Horry has 7 rings, and made more of an impact than Kobe could ever dream with the Lakers. Since NBA is notoriously political, they'll not only have him (kobe) in the top 10 but ahead of Duncan and Shaq as well

Happy Holidays,

Default Re: There are only 3 GOAT, been that way for decades

Quote Originally Posted by Fedor - Laker

1. MJ
    2. Magic
    3. Bird

You then have Kareem, Hakim, (Not a big fan of Russell, would have West ahead of him, but technicality & respect in regards to era, he gets mentioned) Wilt Chamberlain, and then whoever else following, sort them as you please.

Judgement and overall ranking is reserved for Lebron and Curry until both retire.

Kobe barely scrapes in @ bottom 20 or 25 due to technicality reasons like Bill. Even though he piggy backed off big men with his impeccable ball IQ and insatiable FG percentage, 5 rings is 5 rings right? Robert Horry has 7 rings, and made more of an impact than Kobe could ever dream with the Lakers. Since NBA is notoriously political, they'll not only have him (kobe) in the top 10 but ahead of Duncan and Shaq as well

Happy Holidays,

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Fedor - Laker

1. MJ
    2. Magic
    3. Bird

Happy Holidays,
    Picking the GOAT for 1 player I think is just too subjective. Like you mentioned - different era's, positions, teams, rules, teammates etc. I think the best way is to be by position and even then it is very hard. For me I like to think of a players prime and I have at center Kareem (the sky-hook!), Wilt, Shaq, Moses Malone. I know Russell won 11 rings but Wilt regularly outplayed him. At PF Karl Malone (his ability to run the floor), Tim Duncan, Barkley, Kevin McHale. At SF Bird (his mental toughness), Lebron, Dr. J, Pippen. At SG Jordan, Kobe, Jerry West, Sam Jones ( he has 10 rings!) At PG Magic, Oscar, Isiah Thomas, Nate Archibald (nobody talks about him), Thats my top 4 for each position and I left off greats like Elgin Baylor, Walt Frazier, KG, Bob Pettit - not to mention what will happen in the next 5 years!!

Quote Originally Posted by mr4speed
    Picking the GOAT for 1 player I think is just too subjective. Like you mentioned - different era's, positions, teams, rules, teammates etc. I think the best way is to be by position and even then it is very hard. For me I like to think of a players prime and I have at center Kareem (the sky-hook!), Wilt, Shaq, Moses Malone. I know Russell won 11 rings but Wilt regularly outplayed him. At PF Karl Malone (his ability to run the floor), Tim Duncan, Barkley, Kevin McHale. At SF Bird (his mental toughness), Lebron, Dr. J, Pippen. At SG Jordan, Kobe, Jerry West, Sam Jones ( he has 10 rings!) At PG Magic, Oscar, Isiah Thomas, Nate Archibald (nobody talks about him), Thats my top 4 for each position and I left off greats like Elgin Baylor, Walt Frazier, KG, Bob Pettit - not to mention what will happen in the next 5 years!!
    KG/Dirk>>> McHale
    Wade >>> Sam Jones
    And there are a number of PG's you could rank over Archibald

Cali Love

You are straight up retarded if you think Horry made a bigger impact on the Lakers than Kobe did.

1.MJ
    2.Kareem

LOL @ OP's opening sentence.

GOAT troll

1.Duncan
    2.MJ
    3. Bird

Fixed.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

[COLOR="White"]..........[/COLOR]TOP NON-BIGS FROM EACH ERA

[COLOR="White"]...[/COLOR]2000-2014[COLOR="White"].............[/COLOR]1984-1998

Kobe Bryant.............. Michael Jordan
    LeBron James............ Magic Johnson
    Kevin Durant............. Larry Bird
    Dwayne Wade........... Clyde Drexler
    Russell Westbrook..... Gary Payton
    Tracey McGrady........ Dominique Wilkins
    James Harden........... Grant Hill
    Kawhi Leonard.......... Scottie Pippen
    Paul Pierce............... Adrian Dantley
    Carmelo Anthony....... Alex English
    Vince Carter............. James Worthy
    Allen Iverson............ Penny Hardaway
    Jason Kidd................ Jason Kidd

Honorable Mention 1984-1998: Doctor J, Dennis Rodman, Reggie Lewis, Reggie Miller, Latrell Sprewell, Sidney Moncrief, Mitch Richmond, Joe Dumars, Eddie Jones, Alvin Robertson, Detlef Schrempf, Dennis Johnson, Ronaldo Blackman, Fat Lever, Glen Rice, Chris Mullin, Kiki Vandeweghe, Mark Aguirre, Glenn Robinson, Jamaal Mashburn, Jeff Hornacek, Allan Houston, Jeff Malone

Honorable Mention 2000-2014: Ron Artest, Shawn Marion, Andre Igouodala, Ray Allen, Paul George, Manu Ginobili, Brandon Roy, Klay Thompson, Jimmy Butler, Joe Johnson, Rip Hamilton, Gilbert Arenas, Michael Redd, Peja Stojakovic, Antawn Jamison, Luol Deng, Rashard Lewis
    Last edited by 3ball; 11-28-2015 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    [COLOR="White"]..........[/COLOR]TOP NON-BIGS FROM EACH ERA

[COLOR="White"]...[/COLOR]2000-2014[COLOR="White"].............[/COLOR]1984-1998

Kobe Bryant.........<..... Michael Jordan
    LeBron James........?... Magic Johnson
    Kevin Durant.........<... Larry Bird
    Dwayne Wade........>.. Clyde Drexler
    Russell Westbrook...>.. Gary Payton
    Tracey McGrady.....?... Dominique Wilkins
    James Harden........<... Grant Hill
    Kawhi Leonard.......<... Scottie Pippen
    Paul Pierce............?... Adrian Dantley
    Carmelo Anthony....?... Alex English
    Vince Carter..........<... James Worthy
    Allen Iverson.........?... Penny Hardaway
    Jason Kidd...........>..... Jason Kidd
    Seems pretty even to me. If I look at peaks I might even take McGrady over nique or AI over penny. I might take Pierce over Dantley if I look at fit instead of talent. etc
    Last edited by FKAri; 11-28-2015 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    Seems pretty even to me.
    Except one era is full of alphas and the other a rapist and betas

Quote Originally Posted by AirBonner
    Except one era is full of alphas and the other a rapist and betas
    Easier to have a fake image if there's no social media to call you out on it.

I'm not a nostalgist because I saw the same thing happen to the guys in the 90's when they were compared to earlier stars.

Seems pretty even to me. If I look at peaks I might even take McGrady over nique or AI over penny. I might take Pierce over Dantley if I look at fit instead of talent. etc
    You gotta like how previous eras can match today's era athlete for athlete, and player for player..

And just think, that was non-bigs - we already know the bigs from previous eras destroy today's - here's a list of bigs just from 1996 alone:

Hakeem Olajuwon
    Shaquille O'Neal
    David Robinson
    Patrick Ewing
    Alonzo Mourning
    Arvidas Sabonis
    Dikembe Mutombo
    Karl Malone
    Charles Barkley
    Chris Webber
    Shawn Kemp
    Rik Smits
    Vin Baker
    Dino Radja
    Derrick Coleman

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    You gotta like how previous eras can match today's era athlete for athlete, and player for player..

And just think, that was non-bigs - we already know the bigs from previous eras destroy today's - here's a list of bigs just from 1996 alone:

Hakeem Olajuwon
    Shaquille O'Neal
    David Robinson
    Patrick Ewing
    Alonzo Mourning
    Arvidas Sabonis
    Dikembe Mutombo
    Karl Malone
    Charles Barkley
    Chris Webber
    Shawn Kemp
    Rik Smits
    Vin Baker
    Dino Radja
    Derrick Coleman
    The 90's had higher top end talent. The bench and role players were worse.

The 90's had higher top end talent. The bench and role players were worse.

The first tier consists of Jordan, Kareem, Russell, and Wilt. Those are the "big 4" of the GOAT rankings. Russell is the greatest winner, Wilt the most dominant, Kareem has arguably the greatest overall basketball career, and Jordan has the best combination of everything. It will be tough for anyone to unseat any of those guys.