Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Current Warriors vs all-time great teams 7 game series

Play by current rules, previous GOAT candidate champions get a week to prepare and watch film, and get brought up on current rules and strategies. Warriors get the same.

Who wins?

2014 Spurs (based on how they played in the playoffs)
    2012 Heat
    2001 Lakers
    96 Bulls
    87 Lakers
    86 Celtics
    83 76ers
    72 Lakers
    71 Bucks
    67 76ers

Default Re: Current Warriors vs all-time great teams 7 game series

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    Play by current rules, previous GOAT candidate champions get a week to prepare and watch film, and get brought up on current rules and strategies. Warriors get the same.

Who wins?

2014 Spurs (based on how they played in the playoffs)
    2012 Heat
    2001 Lakers
    96 Bulls
    87 Lakers
    86 Celtics
    83 76ers
    72 Lakers
    71 Bucks
    67 76ers
    To sum it up (I can go into deeper detail if someone wants to)...

I think they beat the 2012 Heat and even the 2014 Spurs in some pretty close series...

2001 Lakers beat them, mostly because of Shaq... But also because of prime Kobe, plenty of good role-players who knew what they had to do, and great coaching.

Would've been tougher for the 1996 Bulls in today's game but they still would've won.

1987 Lakers would've won because GS couldn't play the running game vs them, while LA could've used Kareem to kill their small-ball or even go small themselves while being terrific at it. Cooper would've been simply great to guard Curry. Meanwhile, Steph had to guard Magic or Byron (who was on Klay's level as a scorer). Lakers were also very deep and had enough shooting...

1986 Celtics would've beaten them.

1983 76ers were VERY HEAVY, even for this Warriors... That starting5 was killer, and they had Bobby Jones on the bench alongside some nice role-players. I really don't know, because Philly wouldn't have had lots of guys to shoot the 3-ball, and GS would've put the pressure on them, extremely hard to say also due to that... I'mma go with the 1983 76ers though, in a tremendously close one. Peak Moses would've made a MAJOR dent on them, on the inside and on the boards; nobody from the Warriors could've kept Toney in check; Cheeks would've played great D on Steph with Bobby Jones doing the same on the p&r; Doc was still balling...

I believe that the 1971 Bucks were a better team and that they would've been even better suited to today's game probably (with dudes like McGlocklin too)... Plus, they had Kareem/Oscar.

I think that vs the 1967 76ers, it all depends on Wilt... That's peak Wilt surrounded by a very deep squad with lots of talented players, though, so I think Philly would've pulled it off with Chamberlain showing tremendous all-around play and killing GS, especially if they went small.

It is what it is though, those are some of the VERY BEST teams EVER... Doesn't take anything away from this Warriors, they're still one of the GOAT teams, tbh.
    Last edited by SHAQisGOAT; 11-27-2015 at 09:38 PM.

Who wins?

2014 Spurs (based on how they played in the playoffs) - Lose in 7.
    2012 Heat - 2013 Heat Beat them in 7
    2001 Lakers - Beat them in 5
    96 Bulls - Beat them in 6
    87 Lakers - Lose in 7
    86 Celtics - A wash
    83 76ers - Win in 7
    72 Lakers - A wash
    71 Bucks - A wash
    67 76ers - Beat them in 7.
    ^^
    Last edited by Queen Sansa; 11-27-2015 at 09:40 PM.

@ShaqIsGOAT

Thanks for breaking it down team by team. So you're basically saying you only think the Warriors could beat the most recent great times, but they would be at a disadvantage to the older teams, mostly because of frontline dominant players and depth to match the Warriors. Plus Magic would be a nightmare matchup for GS's backcourt. It's not like you can put Iggy on Magic when you have Worthy to worry about, while the 87 Lakers did have Cooper who they would put on Curry.

But that makes me wonder about the 2012 or 2013 Heat. If Curry is killing them, don't you put Lebron on him? Assuming Wade can't guard him.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Sansa
    ^^
    Why do you think the 2001 Lakers would be the Warrior's worst matchup? Would Kobe guard Curry?

@ShaqIsGOAT

Thanks for breaking it down team by team. So you're basically saying you only think the Warriors could beat the most recent great times, but they would be at a disadvantage to the older teams, mostly because of frontline dominant players and depth to match the Warriors. Plus Magic would be a nightmare matchup for GS's backcourt. It's not like you can put Iggy on Magic when you have Worthy to worry about, while the 87 Lakers did have Cooper who they would put on Curry.
    I think dominant scoring centers would wreck GS, and not allow them to use their best line-up, which is the small ball one.

The 87 version of Kareem wasn't a dominant center, not even a double double center. Iggy can guard Magic, Klay can guard Worthy, Curry on Cooper.

I think the Warriors could beat them unless Kareem has a throwback 24/13 type of series.

2013 Heat were also small ball wizards, and i like their Chalmers - Wade - Battier - LeBron - Bosh lineup than the small ball lineup of the Warriors.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT

Would've been tougher for the 1996 Bulls in today's game but they still would've won.
    The 1996 Bulls would be a more offensively competent version of the 2015 Memphis Grizzlies - the Grizzlies only attempted 16 threes per game just like the 1996 Bulls, but they still took 2 games from Warriors in 2015 playoffs.

Infact, if Tony Allen doesn't get hurt, the series would've been even closer.

But the problem with the Grizzlies is that their 2-point field goal percentage is only 45% - they don't have competent offensive players... Otoh, the 1996 Bulls shot 51% on two-pointers, JUST LIKE THE SPURS DO THIS YEAR - and this year's Spurs only take 18 threes per game.

Ultimately, the 1996 Bulls would be a better version of this year's Spurs (better on both ends), and far better than the Grizzlies.... Oh shit - MJ and Pippen get to zone outside the paint???... Shut it down... Back in their era, the paint-camping didn't benefit MJ and Scottie much because they weren't bigs - but today's zone outside the paint WOULD benefit MJ and Scottie... greatly
    Last edited by 3ball; 11-27-2015 at 09:48 PM.

Why do you think the 2001 Lakers would be the Warrior's worst matchup? Would Kobe guard Curry?
    They can't play small vs Shaq. The small ball lineup is their trump card. They were down 2-1 vs the Cavs last year with a traditional lineup, so if they play traditional against the Lakers they will lose. Kobe guards him in the 4th, otherwise his energy will be needed on offense.
    Last edited by Queen Sansa; 11-27-2015 at 09:48 PM.

Because they're new and recent, they wouldn't beat any of the past teams because I've seen basketball from then and now, and I know what I'm talking about.

I'm not even sure today's Warriors beat last years Sixers. Basketball was just better before.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Because they're new and recent, they wouldn't beat any of the past teams because I've seen basketball from then and now, and I know what I'm talking about.

I'm not even sure today's Warriors beat last years Sixers. Basketball was just better before.

@ShaqIsGOAT

But that makes me wonder about the 2012 or 2013 Heat. If Curry is killing them, don't you put Lebron on him? Assuming Wade can't guard him.
    No problem.

Something like that... It shifts though...

2001 Lakers, for example, had depth, shooting, defense, role-playing, rebounding, a great coach, one ATG in his prime great on both ends... And then, the most important thing, Shaq at his best just DESTROYING nikkas... He wouldn't "allow" GS to go small, while Bogut wouldn't be able to really keep up with him, he would've exhausted Andrew and gotten GS's frontcourt in foul-trouble. Plus, Diesel was a very smart player who would/could pass the ball.

Some teams like the 1971 Bucks and especially the 1986 Celtics, I think, would've been even better suited for today's game, call it... And they were TERRIFIC and extremely stacked, with two top5 players in their prime to lead them. Teams like that were elite on both ends, great passing game, unselfish, clutch, could've adapt to most strategies on O and D, had shooting and inside game... Just too much.

You got showtime LA with Kareem in the post but also tremendous depth, lots of matchup problems for GS, some shooting, ability to play different styles of lineups and the Warriors wouldn't be able to get the advantage of running up and down vs them.

I think that they would've stood better chances in today's game vs a team like the 1996 Bulls but Chicago still would've been too much for them... And they had the GOAT, ofc.

My opinion on them vs the 1983 76ers comes mostly due to Moses killing them in the paint, on a team FILLED with talent everywhere... AND their ability to guard Curry with Cheeks, plus Bobby Jones doing damage while defending Green on the break and on p&r's, very important... Despite some lack of 3pt shooting that Philly could've had, I still think that they could've pulled it off. While Toney would've killed GS, too quick, too skilled, too ice-cold.

I believe that these Warriors would've had the edge over the 2012 Heat and even the 2014 Spurs...
    LeBron on Curry? Don't really think that that would've worked... Curry's not someone like Rose who only does his damage with the ball in his hands, who's gonna try to take you 1on1, who's not an elite shooter but can do it some and kill you on the slash/finish... James would've had a REALLY tough time keeping up with Steph off the ball, going through all those screens and such, even on the ball while Curry's running p&r's... That would've tired LBJ plenty too.
    And Miami loved to go small but that wouldn't work as well vs GS, because I think that the Warriors' small-ball game is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Sansa
    I think dominant scoring centers would wreck GS, and not allow them to use their best line-up, which is the small ball one.

The 87 version of Kareem wasn't a dominant center, not even a double double center. Iggy can guard Magic, Klay can guard Worthy, Curry on Cooper.

I think the Warriors could beat them unless Kareem has a throwback 24/13 type of series.

2013 Heat were also small ball wizards, and i like their Chalmers - Wade - Battier - LeBron - Bosh lineup than the small ball lineup of the Warriors.
    Jabbar was still putting up 19.2 on .600 TS% in only 31 minutes per game in the Playoffs, for example... On a championship team, on one of the most stacked, greatest teams...
    He was still pretty mobile and a very good scorer, not to mention an extremely smart player who could pass (even still blocking more than 2 shots per game)...
    Dude still dropped 40+ on Hakeem/Sampson and Ewing around those days. He could've still killed Bogut/Ezeli on any given night, while Green wouldn't be able to guard him, just too short...

No, Klay couldn't guard Worthy like you make it seem... James had considerable size/height on him and he really knew how to use it, not to mention that he has one of the quickest 1st steps ever and was a beast on the break... Barnes, Green or Draymond would've had guard him.

Curry had to guard Scott though... Byron was a very good scorer, you can say as good as Klay (while a better passer and as good as Klay on D)... He would've given Curry A LOT of trouble, that's one of the key matchups there.

Showtime LA also played a terrific "small-ball" lineup with Magic/Scott/Cooper/Worthy/Green... And GSW's "running-game" would've played straight into their hands.

National High School Star Fire Colangelo's Avatar

It's really hard to say without knowing how they'll do in the playoffs this year.

If GSW plays like they're playing right now, I'd say they have a 50/50 chance at beating all of these teams.

If GSW plays like they played in the playoffs last year? I don't think they beat any of the teams mentioned in a 7 games series.

72 Lakers,67 Sixers and 96 Bulls would win . I'm not sure on other teams.

Quote Originally Posted by feyki
    72 Lakers,67 Sixers and 96 Bulls would win . I'm not sure on other teams.
    Those are my top-3, and in that order.

Then...

4. '71 Bucks
    5. '87 Lakers
    6. '86 Celtics
    7. '85 Lakers
    8. '83 Sixers
    9. '01 Lakers
    10. '91 Bulls

There have been many great teams, as well.

The '63 Celtics (NINE HOFers), '68 Sixers (didn't win the title, but were decimated by injuries), '70 Knicks, '73 Knicks (6 HOFers), '78 Blazers (lost Walton before the playoffs), '82 Lakers, '89 Pistons, '97 Bulls, '00 Lakers, '03 Spurs, '08 Celtics, '09 Lakers, '13 Heat, '14 Spurs, and of course, both last year's, and this year's Warriors.

I won't go into hypotheticals, except to say that individually, these last two Warrior teams don't stack up very well. But their overall defensive play, and team chemistry has been remarkable. And, of course, Curry has been spectacular. At his current rate, he is having one of the greatest seasons in NBA history.