Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Advanced Basketball Shooting Skills with Bill Walton- Back to the basket finger roll

Default Re: Advanced Basketball Shooting Skills with Bill Walton- Back to the basket finger roll

What does Walton know?

He faced 6-5 white centers who were part-time plumbers and hot-dog vendors.

Default Re: Advanced Basketball Shooting Skills with Bill Walton- Back to the basket finger roll

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    What does Walton know?

He faced 6-5 white centers who were part-time plumbers and hot-dog vendors.
    Yeah he obviously never faced real competition....But the move might send you to the foul line often.

That close to the basket you're either going to foul him by hitting the back of his hand, or goaltend once it's released. Looks to be on the way down as soon as he releases it...Bigs today with great length would really benefit having it in their arsenal.

Too bad his stepfather taught him to just dunk like Wilt

*Dont let Kevin Durant read this

Personally love banking it after baiting people with a couple of hooks

"God damn it, do you only take bank shots?"

"Well, it increases the chance of it going in...So yes"

Tend to shoot from the sides somewhat similar to Oscar, puts me in perfect position to either bank it in, or back them down for a hook or finger roll...Which the latter always catches people off guard
    Last edited by jongib369; 02-14-2015 at 03:19 PM.

thats a shot you take if you dont trust yourself to make an easier hook shot with your weak hand.

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    thats a shot you take if you dont trust yourself to make an easier hook shot with your weak hand.
    you are spoiling this thread with your reasoning

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    Huh? My go to is a right handed pivot hook, with a right finger roll being it's counter

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    Huh? My go to is a right handed pivot hook, with a right finger roll being it's counter
    you must be playing against some great post defense

Quote Originally Posted by swagga
    you must be playing against some great post defense
    What does that have to do with anything? Have you ever even played someone with a back the the basket style of play? I can do these moves with either hand...Once I feel that you're out of position to properly defend one of them I go to it. I've been defended by people in significantly better shape then myself, along with being bigger....I'm hardly ever blocked. When I shoot it, it's because I had the space to do so. Otherwise I'm passing it out and sprinting around to get open like a mad man on meth

What does that have to do with anything? Have you ever even played someone with a back the the basket style of play? I can do these moves with either hand...Once I feel that you're out of position to properly defend one of them I go to it. I've been defended by people in significantly better shape then myself, along with being bigger....I'm hardly ever blocked. When I shoot it, it's because I had the space to do so. Otherwise I'm passing it out and sprinting around to get open like a mad man on meth
    of course i understand moves and counter-moves but against a quality post defender going under him with a layup isn't a great solution in the long run. I prefer hooking with the other hand, much more efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by swagga
    of course i understand moves and counter-moves but against a quality post defender going under him with a layup isn't a great solution in the long run. I prefer hooking with the other hand, much more efficient.
    Under? I go over them while they're standing stretched out leaning to defend the hook, out of position to then lean and jump the other way. It's not going under, its over or through with a shot closer to the basket. If used properly it's almost better than a hook IMO. Or at least they go together perfectly. Unless you meant if you happen to do it stretching under and around someones arm

This isn't including the other moves I have also...But I'm not saying I'm any good either
    Last edited by jongib369; 02-14-2015 at 04:46 PM.

Does anyone know of any clips where Kareem, or Walton used this? I've seen Doctor J do it, and kareem, but can't find Kareems instance of using it again.

Also Cavs, if you happen to see this do you have any intention of making a Wilt fingerroll video? I'm thinking about making one with Walton explaining it, cutting to all known footage of Wilt doing it. As with Kareem, Dr J and anyone else I can find using it

If you planned to, I'll save that one for you since it'd be better taken care of in your hands

Also Cavs, if you happen to see this do you have any intention of making a Wilt fingerroll video? I'm thinking about making one with Walton explaining it, cutting to all known footage of Wilt doing it. As with Kareem, Dr J and anyone else I can find using it

If you planned to, I'll save that one for you since it'd be better taken care of in your hands
    Yes I'm going to make one like I did for his other shots. Just working on a lot of projects at the moment. Breaking down games, Hawkins/Baylor/Robertson videos etc.

Presently the next Wilt video in line (and is nearly finished) is a shot blocking one.

Does anyone know of any clips where Kareem, or Walton used this? I've seen Doctor J do it, and kareem, but can't find Kareems instance of using it again.
    Kareem attempts one but misses in a Bucks game vs Walt Bellamy so I know it was in his repertoire but it wasn't used often. It was probably used as often in his hands as a hook shot was in Wilt's hands.