Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    High School Starter

Default Re: What was your highschool GPA and where are you now?

Honestly, high school GPA doesn't matter. I gave zero ****s in HS. All my friends who were in that 3.8-4.0 range in high school regret trying so hard. It's once you get to college where it matters. I had a 2.5 GPA in HS, but currently have a 3.4 in college and that's cause the lazy in me always comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddy
    See you on the sex offender list soon
    For what? Raping you on this board?

5-time NBA All-Star

Fell off the straight path around 14.5.

Almost back on track at 25.

Local High School Star Achilleas's Avatar

how the usa school system works;you must get high grades to go to college for free or you must pay for the most good colleges and universities ;
    in my country every kid wrote exams in the last class of highschool and then how good he wrote he can pass to universities ,
    Last edited by Achilleas; 04-06-2016 at 10:53 PM.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

3.6 or 3.7 I can't remember. 3.4 in college. I would try hard if I were you not because grades matter, but because it's good to develop that work ethic.

Mugshot from SlyCooper Nilocon165's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    3.6 or 3.7 I can't remember. 3.4 in college. I would try hard if I were you not because grades matter, but because it's good to develop that work ethic.
    Great advice my fellow cavs fan

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nilocon165
    Great advice my fellow cavs fan
    I would also advise you to abandon all Cleveland sports teams now, save yourself the hurt

Mugshot from SlyCooper Nilocon165's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    I would also advise you to abandon all Cleveland sports teams now, save yourself the hurt
    I only really pay attention to the cavs, (don't care for football or baseball) but yeah I can imagine what it's like being a diehard Cleveland sports fan.

I was alright. Nothing special. Didn't get in trouble. I think im doing good for myself now. You just need to learn everyday young buck. Dont slack.

You can BS your AA/AS degree, but I suggest for your BA/BS not to.

National High School Star Fire Colangelo's Avatar

In the grand scheme of things... probably not.

It's really the choices you make in and after college/university that makes you who you are.

Join lots of clubs, meet lots of people, network with the right people and spend less time on ISH, you'll find yourself to be successful even if you went to college for an Arts Degree (okay maybe not arts). It means jack shit if you go to a good university and make all the wrong choices.

I've been out of University for around 3-4 years now, even though I have a great job there are definitely things I could've done in school that would've made me more successful.

One of my biggest regrets was opting out of a group project that a few buddies and I started on back in 2nd year. It was a good projects, and we eventually were able to get funds from our university + a few investors to turn it into a start up. Then 4th year came, while my buddies decided to take a semester off to fully work on the project, I felt the pressure to finish school and find a job.

And of course I did. I was offered a job at Blackberry as a software engineer half way through my 4th year and I happily accepted it. It paid around 65K and I was more than happy with that being my first job out of school.

My buddies on the other hand, struggled with the startup for two more semesters and eventually failed and gave up on it. They finished their 4th years and went to find jobs as well.

But here's the thing, they were able to land jobs with giants like Google, Microsoft, and Amazon... basically jobs I wasn't able to land. Why? Did they have better marks than me in school? Are they better at their jobs than I would be? No.

They had that experience of doing a startup. Even though it failed in the end, that's what giants like Google, Microsoft, Apple, etc are looking for on guys straight out of college. Especially if you're going into computer science/software engineering.

Now they're making six figure salaries in California while I'm stuck in Canada lol... Not that it's a bad thing, just that it could've easily been better.

Don't know if that answered your question.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper
    washing windows as a junior administrator = dam good mony
    Damn right. Im only 23 too so who knows how far i can get scrubbing windows

Quote Originally Posted by D-Wade316
    I've read your posts and said you are taking structural engineering, which is basically the same with civil engineering, am I right? If so, how much does your instructors mix the subjects with calculus-based problems or actual experimentation? Just would like to know the difference in teaching methods here in the PH to the US.

Honestly here, students take concepts for granted and would rather memorize formulas without understanding of the physical explanation. And there is a great lack of technical skill to graduating students because they never get enough training due to lack of funding or just poor training.

Na homie, I'm going for Information Systems, which is similar to Computer Science...but its not Computer Science

For instance, a Computer Science major would lets say create an operating system, and me as a IS major would find how best to apply that operating system to the company I am working for. Very broad description since there are plenty of different jobs you can apply for in the tech field, you can work as a programmer or security administrator for example if you have the right certificates, but this is what I've heard from others.

The way I look at it is easier degree, probably an easier job (I do NOT wanna be a programmer...f that lol), and very similar pay. My friend who just recently finished this degree started out earning $65k and after a year his salary was bumped to $80k. Of course it's not gonna be like that for everyone, but the fact that his starting pay was so high really makes me excited.

Then again, when it comes to the tech field, education is never ending, as we are always moving forward with technology and you either keep up or are left in the dust. Tons of certificates available today that did not even exist ten years prior (certifications are a MUST if you wanna make real cash).

As for classes, most of my professors are concept heavy. They would rather you understand wtf you are doing rather than memorize a bunch of formulas and just plug and chug tests.

I'm half way there, onto Uni and inshallah I'll be working within the next 2-3 years. I plan on going for Masters as well, however I wanna work and do that at the same time. I found a pretty nice program at FSU where you can take 2 classes per semester and finish in 2 years, which sounds awesome. 2 classes is manageable and I can get some much needed experience by working, not to mention earn some nice amount of cash on the way.

link to the FSU Masters program:

http://business.fsu.edu/academics/gr...degrees/ms-mis

School of Business, but at USF it is in the school of engineering AND school of business. Probably the same here, considering IS is a mix of tech/engineering, business, and management.

Teachers gave me slack cause I played ball

****ed up my freshman year and graduated high school with a 2.75 GPA. Still got accepted to a good university and now that GPA doesn't mean shit. Im in my 2nd year of college and I can say im doing really good.