Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Default EuroBasket is a top-level basketball tournament

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...italy/2828503/

Eurobasket, the entertaining and competitive championship played every two years (going to every four after the 2017 event), is considered the toughest international basketball event to win – tougher than the Olympics and World Cup, formerly the world championship, because the competition is stronger in Europe and not diluted with weaker basketball-playing nations who received automatic bids to the Olympics and worlds.

"I don't think there's any question that the most competitive balance among all the FIBA continental championships takes place in Europe because in a given tournament there can be, if not 10 or 12 teams that can win the gold, easily 12 teams that can medal,"
    said ESPN announcer and international basketball expert Fran Fraschilla.

Russia, the 2012 London Olympics bronze medalist, didn't even reach the second round of group play at Eurobasket 2013 in Slovenia. Only won once in five games after entering the event in turmoil – its coach quit about a month before the tournament.

Turkey, the runner-up to the USA in the 2010 world championships, was also 1-4 and did not advance to the second round. Macedonia, which finished fourth at Eurobasket 2011, also failed to reach the second round.

Greece, ranked fourth in the world and which finished sixth at Eurobasket 2011, is done after losing a double-overtime thriller against Croatia in the final game second-round group play.

"What you see in European basketball on a yearly basis is a changing of the guard because there's so much competition," Fraschilla.

Spain, the two-time defending Eurobasket champion, has lost three times, including twice in the second round. Had Greece beaten Croatia on Monday, Spain was in danger of not advancing. That would have been embarrassing for Spain, which hosts next summer's FIBA World Cup of Basketball.

Even France, with a slew of NBA players including Tony Parker and Nic Batum, lost twice in the second round but a strong 4-1 first round helped propel it to the quarterfinals, which begin Wednesday.
    Last edited by insidehoops; 09-20-2013 at 03:52 PM.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Default Re: ISH Trolls Officially Owned By Fran Fraschilla: FIBA EuroBasket > Olympics

Talk about a context fail by euroleague. Of course it's more competitive it eliminates the awful bottom feeders and the USA doesn't play. Of course it's more competitive when the clear cut best don't participate. Ten teams can win euro basket but if we played only one could.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Default Re: ISH Trolls Officially Owned By Fran Fraschilla: FIBA EuroBasket > Olympics

I love when you bold sentences and then don't read anything past them giving context to the statement you cherry picked.

We win the Olympics and FIBA competitions (with our B team), so who cares?

Just like CONCACAF is harder to win than UEFA.

Put the All NC2A team in EuroBasket, and, at the absolute worst (I'm talking end of the world situation), they get bronze.

Love Live Life

NBA is greater than both combined.

It's clear that the Olympics are levels above the FIBA cause the USA only participates in the only league that matters.

NBA>>>>>>>Olympics>>>>FIBA

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    So sad for USA, never won the top tier international competition.
    Congratulations. You just made your stupidest post yet

But yeah, trolling aside, the simple truth is this:
    - on average, teams are better in the Eurobasket than in the Olympics
    - however, it's harder to win the Olympics because you eventually have to go through Team USA, the best team in the world, and lose

How's the weather in greece today?

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    But yeah, trolling aside, the simple truth is this:

- it's harder to win the Olympics because you eventually have to go through Team USA, the best team in the world, and lose
    FALSE and UNTRUE.

When qrich appears in a thread, you know that the NBA only fan trolls have pushed the panic button.
    True, I am the savior.

Riddle me this.

Why blame a country for not playing in a competition, in which they can not?

Does Spain's soccer team suck since they have never won a Gold Cup?

get it through your thick skull. The USA will always be better at basketball than any other nation. if you think otherwise, then you better find out why you have been delusioned so badly.

National High School Star dr.hee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    How's the weather in greece today?
    Oh, it's beautiful. Spanoulis went fishing today, as he does during every major tournament, since he has a lot of freetime. Afterwards he played a nice game of volleyball, a sport he's dominating easily since not hitting the net is something he practiced during the Eurobasket quite a lot...the best example being the beautiful spike in the 4th quarter against Croatia, which was mistaken for an airball three pointer by people less immersed in the art of volleyball. He's also quite skilled at turning the ball over, which is useful, since the whole point of volleyball is to turn the ball over to the other half of the field.

Whenever niko appears in a thread, you know that the butt hurt of NBA only fans has reached a fever pitch.

How was your racist united meeting today?
    Did you mean Manchester United? I don't think they are racist.

Riddle me this.

Why do you feel the need to lie and claim the Olympics is a higher level competition than the EuroBasket?

Are you really that brainwashed by fascist patriotic bullshit propaganda?
    Where did I say that?