Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    National High School Star

Default Re: Best career ever?

Quote Originally Posted by PHILA
    KAJ if you include high school. Though Russell was better than him both in college and the NBA.
    Basically high school is what would put Kareem over the top, as Russell was a slow starter. After high school though, Russell won at unprecedented levels at every subsequent level, in college (then-record win streak), the Olympics (still-standing record for largest margin of victory), and the pros (a never to be touched 11 titles in 13 seasons). And for those that value this highly, he did it all as "The Man," something no one affiliated with those teams would deny. No one's ever led his team to more championships as The Man. And he went out on top, winning as the underdog (and the coach), unlike Jordan, who ruined The Perfect Ending by coming back (again). And Kareem went out getting swept, a shell of his former self. Neither Jordan nor Kareem ever led their teams to upsets over teams they weren't supposed to beat, and Kareem in particular has been upset on several occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    To date, he hasn't.
    If he hasn't after 17 years, that should tell you something.

College superstar BlackWhiteGreen's Avatar

This is one of the most ridiculous ways of propping up Kobe I've ever heard. Discounting Jordan because what, he didn't play for a couple of years? Yeah, I'm sure he'd have loved to carry on with the Bulls for a few 2nd round exits because that would make his career better

New thread ideas for you guys.

Best player to retire then come back twice?
    Best player to win a title as player-coach?
    Best player to score 100 points in a game?
    Best player to wear number 33 for the Knicks?

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
    If he hasn't after 17 years, that should tell you something.
    But it doesn't. Longevity comes with time you know. :-)
    I agree with you nobody in the NBA right now has a chance to become the GOAT. But a few have a chance for having the best career. Kobe and LeBron for sure, and I'd add Tim Duncan, too.

Define "best"

Not trolling but I'd say Greg Oden. Got paid millions and didn't have to work hard to earn them. I was gonna say Rashard Lewis but he started and was overpaid for his production but he didn't miss a ton of games.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Jordan, Russell, Kareem or Magic. I can't really think of anyone beyond those four in terms of sheer success.

Jordan and Kareem basically done it all from individual rewards and championships, and both won in college. Kareem have better longevity but Jordan won more at his peak/prime and he has more influence in basketball.

Russell because championships, basically made defense cool and one of the guys just invented the block shots.

Magic because him and Bird saved the nba and won 5 titles. He beat his rival in college for the championship and in the pros, and been to the finals almost every year in the 80s.

Bill Russell.

Greatest winner of all-time. An almost faultless career.

I don't have any criteria. Just tell me what you think. I included both Kareem and Russell in my top 4, so I like your choices. However, Duncan and Kobe are not done yet. They are adding to their respective resumes every day, still.

What if they end up playing 5 more years? What if they win some more? It's far from impossible.
    i'll bet my first child that neither do

Bill Russell has my vote.

Even the what if game is interesting with him and I really don't see anybody who had a better career or hypothetical one.

To date, he hasn't. But he may end up with the better career if he continues to play at this level for a few more years.
    I respectfully disagree. Although, I think it would be safe to say that Bryant has a Top 10 career if he does continue to play more years at a high level.

But it doesn't. Longevity comes with time you know. :-)
    Time?

It's not like we're talking about LeBron here. Kobe's played more seasons than all but, what, about a dozen or so players in the history of the league?

Parish (21)
    Kevin Willis (21)
    Kareem (20)
    Stockton (19)
    Kidd (19)
    Oakley (19)
    Karl Malone (19)
    Moses Malone (19)
    Shaq (19)
    Hakeem (18)
    Miller (18)
    Payton (18)
    Garnett (18)
    Cliff Robinson (18)

I don't think I've missed anyone. So how much more time does one need? If someone didn't think Kareem was the GOAT after 17 seasons, then a couple more seasons of being a below-average rebounder and offensive role player (with even his efficiency taking a dive in his last season, as he dropped below 50% shooting for the first time in his career) wasn't going to be the deciding factor to sway them over whomever they thought was the GOAT before Kareem.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Kareem hands down. Russell, Jordan do not come close to Kareem's high school/college record.

It is true Jordan had immense impact on the game that is felt today--but that impact is in marketing terms, i.e. the NBA changing regarding flagrant fouls during Jordan's time and then changing things again in the mid-2000's to make it easier to find a "new Jordan"/increase scoring. Jordan is why the NBA now is a perimeter-oriented league despite being a center dominated league pre-Jordan. However, in terms of dominance on the court, though, well dunking was banned to try to contain Kareem. The rules were changed to hinder Kareem, Wilt and Shaq. That was never done vis-a-vis Jordan since he was such a cash cow. Hell, if anything changes such as flagrant fouls to crack down on tough, rough defense was aimed at aiding MJ.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by KobesFinger
    Gotta go with Bill Russell. Won championships at every level, got the best of his rival on several ocassions, kick-started the Lakers-Celtics rivalry, won 5 individual MVP awards and of course the 11 rings in 13 years.
    This. The man won an NCAA title, Olympic gold, and an NBA title in roughly one year.

Hmmm, I'd have to think about this for a bit. Though the top nine or so seem pretty obvious in my opinion.

[CODE]

Bill Russell: 11x NBA Champion 5x MVP (at least)8-9x Finals MVP

(big gap)

Michael Jordan: 6x NBA Champion 5x MVP 6x Finals MVP
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 6x NBA Champion 6x MVP 2x Finals MVP

(small gap)

Magic Johnson: 5x NBA Champion 3x MVP 3x Finals MVP
    John Havlicek: 8x NBA Champion 1x MVP 1x Finals MVP

(small gap)

Tim Duncan: 4x NBA Champion 2x MVP 3x Finals MVP
    Kobe Bryant: 5x NBA Champion 1x MVP 2x Finals MVP
    Shaquille O'Neal: 4x NBA Champion 1x MVP 3x Finals MVP
    Bob Cousy: 6x NBA Champion 1x MVP
    [/CODE]

After that, I'd have to think a bit harder.
    Last edited by DatAsh; 03-07-2013 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    What is your criteria exactly?

If we're talking about basketball careers with everything considered (high school, college, NBA) then it's Kareem with Bill Russell in second place.
    Kareem hands down

1. Michael Jordan
    2. Magic Johnson

Bill Russell played in the 50s and 60s, was not force on the offensive end, had at least 3 HOFers doing all the lifting on offense on all those championships. Kareem missed the playoffs twice in his prime, and was not player that he was like in the 70s during his last 4 championships, Magic was leading the team. Wilt, didnt win enough rings. George Mikan arguably has a better career then Wilt, but no one talks about him like they do for guys like Bill Russell. Jordan was 6-0 in the Finals and was the best player in the world for all of those rings, has every accolade and then some. 2 3peats in the modern era, incredible. Magic won 5 championships and been to 9 finals, 9! The only year he wasnt the best player on his team was his rookie year in the '80 championship team, and even then he had 42/12/7 in the clinching game without Kareem and won FMVP.
    Last edited by Deuce Bigalow; 03-07-2013 at 09:42 PM.