Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 10-17-2018, 11:35 AM   #1
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default 2018-19 regular season. Time to live up to the hype!

Here we go!
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:39 AM   #2
Xiao Yao You

Default Re: 2018-19 regular season. Time to live up to the hype!

https://thejnotes.com/2018/10/16/uta...ason-off-bang/

Quote:
Utah’s elite defense should render the Kings senseless, much like it did in the preseason contest where the young team looked baffled for stretches at how to score against Rudy Gobert and Co. An improved Jazz offense should also give Sacramento fits as they share the ball with ease and generate easy points.

Remains to be seen rather a bad shooting team taking more 3's makes them better.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:40 AM   #3
Xiao Yao You

https://basketball.realgm.com/analys...-18-19-Edition

Quote:
Utah Jazz – The Jazz are bringing back the whole crew that advanced in the playoffs behind the league’s stingiest defense. Rudy Gobert can destroy an opponent's gameplan with his game-changing paint protection. Donovan Mitchell became the star Utah needed after Gordon Hayward left for Boston. Joe Ingles has become a less-reluctant shooter and is one of the more fun players to watch do his thing on the wing. And Jazz fans are the best. They are passionate and loud and give Utah one of the best homecourt advantages in the NBA.

You mean the other star?
Old 10-17-2018, 04:50 PM   #4
Xiao Yao You

Tony Jones: Thabo Sefolosha went through an intense workout with assistant coaches after shootaround this morning. Sefolosha won’t be available for the first five games of the regular season – via Twitter Tjonesonthenba
Old 10-17-2018, 05:06 PM   #5
Xiao Yao You

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...utah-jazz.html

seriously?
Old 10-17-2018, 05:09 PM   #6
Xiao Yao You

http://saltcityhoops.com/nw-division...enver-nuggets/

Quote:
The positive for the Jazz, and the key match-up that will probably determine the series, is that Rudy Gobert is not really outmatched by Jokic. Opponents Rudy tends to struggle with the most are bigs who spread the floor or have a strong core and lower body, where they can get position and push him around. This isn’t exactly the case with Jokic.

Don't think Rudy actually struggles with anyone. Some are tougher match-ups but struggles?
Old 10-17-2018, 05:16 PM   #7
Xiao Yao You

https://www.slcdunk.com/2018/10/17/1...ll-royce-oneal

Quote:
Royce O’Neale went from being an undrafted unknown to a respectable 8th-man on an NBA team. One reason he’s not quite the 6th-man is that while he takes 33% of his shots at the rim, he only makes around 57% of them. Donovan Mitchell, by contrast, takes 33% of his shots at the rim and makes 63% of them. It’s a small thing, but it can make a big difference when the dust settles. O’Neale is by no means bad—but he can take his game to the next level by focusing on this.

than there is Dante and Ricky.

Quote:
Some of the most interesting players in this game are in their first and second seasons. Utah’s Grayson Allen is our most interesting rookie, who had a so-so preseason. He’s got a pretty shot and raw athletic ability, but has struggled on defense. Coach Quin Snyder has said that if he doesn’t play defense, he doesn’t play. Sacramento’s rookie forwards Harry Giles and Marvin Bagley looked bad against the Jazz, totally overmatched by Rudy Gobert and Derrick Favors. However, they both had decent preseasons:

I liked what I saw from Bagley and Jackson off the bench.

Quote:
Remember when Dennis Lindsey said that Alec Burks would be our most valuable free agent addition? That was a couple years ago, but his statement appears prophetic now. Since last year’s playoffs, Burks has shown poise and control—two things that many wondered if he would ever acquire. Now he is a candidate for 6th Man of the Year.

The hilarity never gets old!

Quote:
I sure hope you guys get an actual NBA GM.

Won't matter as long as the owner is the same
Old 10-17-2018, 05:23 PM   #8
Xiao Yao You

httpshttps://://www.slcdunk.com/the-downbeat-latest-jazz-news/2018/10/17/17988216/2018-nba-utah-jazz-season-begins-today

Quote:
love Donovan's praise of Hood
We fans give Rodney a lot of heat and are probably overcritical of his time here (not entirely without reason), but he had every reason to be threatened by Mitchell and didn’t let that keep him from doing everything he could to help his teammate improve even at his own expense. It probably cost him tens of millions of dollars in future contracts. Glad Donovan is publicly giving credit where it’s due.

Posted by Korumbian on Oct 17, 2018 | 7:46 AM

He was playing 30 minutes a night. What cost him the money was asking out. They would have paid him. He's probably Snyder's favorite player! He will never have it as good. He is a 6th man that was given every opportunity to be the man
Old 10-17-2018, 05:32 PM   #9
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Jason Jones: Bogdan Bogdanovic (left knee procedure recovery) and Kosta Koufos (right hamstring strain) both out tonight vs Utah – via Twitter mr_jasonjones

Shumpert was listed day to day so he's available? Not sure if he would play anyway. I guess Randolph isn't?
Old 10-17-2018, 09:28 PM   #10
Xiao Yao You

Andy Larsen: Dave Joerger on how he hopes the Kings start the season: “I hope we have a decent start. Try to stay in games as long as possible.” Optimism! – via Twitter andyblarsen
Old 10-18-2018, 03:47 AM   #11
Xiao Yao You

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2018/1...s-analysis-by/

Quote:
A bad game from Ricky Rubio, however, did not lead to points in the plural. In fact, Rubio had only one point all night, a technical free-throw. He missed his four shots, including a layup, and the offense struggled with him in the game. But more problematic was the defense, as DeAaron Fox had little problem getting penetration against the slower Rubio. Fox is one of the fastest players in the league, and Rubio just wasn’t a good matchup, at least not on this night.

Ricky is a back-up. If him and the Jazz realize that they might actually get something out of him.

Quote:
Again, the knock on Burks for his career is that he’s empty calories: good at getting points, but not great at helping your team on the scoreboard overall. But if what we’ve seen from him in preseason and game one is real, he’ll shake that reputation in a big way.

You're the one knocking him. Looked like the same player to me

Quote:
To be fair, he did collect five turnovers as well, but he was such an integral part of the Jazz’s offense that it’s a little bit understandable. That has been a knock on Jingles' game in the past, though, and it’s something to watch moving forward.

Had a couple great passes
Old 10-18-2018, 03:58 AM   #12
Xiao Yao You

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...nto-kings.html

Quote:
Utah’s depth and focus kept the Jazz afloat, at it will throughout the season, as the reserves gave them the surge to take home a victory. Jae Crowder popped off the bench for a plus-19 performance. Dante Exum was exceptional in picking up the slack on Rubio’s off night, as the Australian added 13 points, four rebounds, four assists and a plus-21 on the scoreboard. Not to be outdone, Alec Burks delivered an astounding plus-25 along with his own 13 points.

Why does everyone always have to overstate things? Exum was solid. Probably the best game of his life. Exceptional though?

Quote:
While the Jazz have a track record for retaining draft picks, maximizing talent, and finding diamonds in the rough, the Kings’ recent draft history is, um, less impressive.

Jazz have had plenty of bad moves as well. Without Gobert where would they be today?

Quote:
Marquese Chriss was taken 8th overall in 2016 but sent to Phoenix immediately for Euro veteran Bogdan Bogdanovic and some other pieces.

He's good.

Quote:
Remember, this was an elite team in the early 2000s, with a core that gave the Utah Jazz fits in playoffs while each fan base challenged the other to be more annoying, more intense, and more passionate. The Kings who the dynastic L.A. Lakers to overtime of Game Seven in a close and controversial3 Western Conference Finals. Vlade Divac, Jason Williams, Mike Bibby, Peja Stojakovic and then-coach Rick Carlisle led a fun show with a fast-paced offense and passes off the elbow. Oh, and don’t forget All-NBA forward Chris Webber, whose jersey hangs in the rafters.

Adelman?

Quote:
Watching that California team operate over the years makes a fan grateful for the stability that a Gail Miller-led organization brings to the Salt Lake Valley. The coaching staff is respected and appreciated, therefore, consistent with every year. The front office has a history of doing the right things, taking the high road, and making thorough and sound decisions. When you put these things together, the players within the Jazz system (with a few exceptions) enjoy being part of the team and family in Utah.

Gobert? Who would be in their front office and coaching staff if not for him?

Quote:
Fox: 21 points, seven assists, and a +21 performance while running circles around Rubio and causing Coach Snyder to bench Tricky Ricky in the fourth quarter due to Fox’s quickness and handles.

He benched Ricky because he was horrible 3 minutes in to the 2nd half. That last stint you mentioned was actually his best. I figured he was just winded at that time. I thought he might brng him back to finish and if Exum was his usual self he probably would have. Ricky's first half was classic horrible Ricky
Old 10-18-2018, 03:58 AM   #13
Xiao Yao You

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...nto-kings.html

Quote:
Utah’s depth and focus kept the Jazz afloat, at it will throughout the season, as the reserves gave them the surge to take home a victory. Jae Crowder popped off the bench for a plus-19 performance. Dante Exum was exceptional in picking up the slack on Rubio’s off night, as the Australian added 13 points, four rebounds, four assists and a plus-21 on the scoreboard. Not to be outdone, Alec Burks delivered an astounding plus-25 along with his own 13 points.

Why does everyone always have to overstate things? Exum was solid. Probably the best game of his life. Exceptional though?

Quote:
While the Jazz have a track record for retaining draft picks, maximizing talent, and finding diamonds in the rough, the Kings’ recent draft history is, um, less impressive.

Jazz have had plenty of bad moves as well. Without Gobert where would they be today?

Quote:
Marquese Chriss was taken 8th overall in 2016 but sent to Phoenix immediately for Euro veteran Bogdan Bogdanovic and some other pieces.

He's good.

Quote:
Remember, this was an elite team in the early 2000s, with a core that gave the Utah Jazz fits in playoffs while each fan base challenged the other to be more annoying, more intense, and more passionate. The Kings who the dynastic L.A. Lakers to overtime of Game Seven in a close and controversial3 Western Conference Finals. Vlade Divac, Jason Williams, Mike Bibby, Peja Stojakovic and then-coach Rick Carlisle led a fun show with a fast-paced offense and passes off the elbow. Oh, and don’t forget All-NBA forward Chris Webber, whose jersey hangs in the rafters.

Adelman?

Quote:
Watching that California team operate over the years makes a fan grateful for the stability that a Gail Miller-led organization brings to the Salt Lake Valley. The coaching staff is respected and appreciated, therefore, consistent with every year. The front office has a history of doing the right things, taking the high road, and making thorough and sound decisions. When you put these things together, the players within the Jazz system (with a few exceptions) enjoy being part of the team and family in Utah.

Gobert? Who would be in their front office and coaching staff if not for him?

Quote:
Fox: 21 points, seven assists, and a +21 performance while running circles around Rubio and causing Coach Snyder to bench Tricky Ricky in the fourth quarter due to Fox’s quickness and handles.

He benched Ricky because he was horrible 3 minutes in to the 2nd half. That last stint you mentioned was actually his best. I figured he was just winded at that time. I thought he might brng him back to finish and if Exum was his usual self he probably would have. Ricky's first half was classic horrible Ricky
Old 10-18-2018, 12:19 PM   #14
Xiao Yao You

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...ning-game.html

Quote:
Jazz rookie Grayson Allen didn’t make his debut as he received a DNP-Coach’s decision and veteran Thabo Sefolosha missed his first of five games while serving his suspension for violating the league’s drug policy, but that didn’t matter.

Looks like we might see him with the Stars after all. Went mostly with 8 guys. Not sure Thabo or Neto changes that. Got to be looking to showcase Burks to trade him? No other explaination. Niang with his first quality minutes with the Jazz. O'Neale very limited minutes is surprising. The 5 game win streak early last year was the only time Rubio was around 20 minutes. Hood was also out. They don't win last night if he plays Rubio his usual 30. He was awful. And no Hood!

Quote:
With the Jazz roster so deep, Allen didn’t enter his first game with any expectations. Snyder is challenging him to improve defensively and the 21st overall pick isn’t pouting.

Needs to work on his whole game from what I've seen. He can shoot

Quote:
The bench looks like it will be as effective as we thought. Keeping Exum was a solid move.

One game against one of the worst teams. Let's not get ahead of ourselves
Old 10-18-2018, 12:32 PM   #15
Xiao Yao You

https://www.slcdunk.com/the-downbeat...ll-rudy-gobert

Quote:
This team is deeeeeeep.

He basically went with 8 guys and Ricky was awful.That is the opposite of deep

Quote:
This game showed how important Ricky and Donovan are.
Rudy, Derrick, Joe, Dante, Alec, and Jae all played well, but with our starting backcourt struggling, we barely managed to beat the kings

Posted by cchappell18 on Oct 18, 2018 | 8:45 AM

It showed once again that Ricky is at best a back-up. Was good to see COTY bench him and my hope of this being his last year as the starter for the Jazz as realistic.

Quote:
I think this is the end for Ricky. Time to go home and enjoy life.
He’s not the same guy who once enjoyed basketball. He doesn’t even show his flash anymore. The other PGs need to step up and takes his minutes, sad to say. I used to enjoy watching him play when they didn’t try to change his game. He doesn’t fit here. He’d rather be back in Europe playing. He was one of my favorite players. But he’s lost something. It’s not just the scoring – he didn’t even need that at one time. I think the fun is gone, plus he doesn’t like the role that he’s expected to play. I actually think he’s bored.

Posted by Lycos on Oct 18, 2018 | 9:56 AM

Someone gets it. I think he good be a good back-up if he could accept it. He plays with a lot of energy.

Quote:
i was bored watching him
Posted by statpower on Oct 18, 2018 | 10:15 AM

Bored isn't the word I'd use.

Quote:
I’m more worried about Rubio but he does now have a track record of needing 30-40 games to dial in. Weird. Until then, looks like Exum can help keep the team afloat.

I expect Ingles and Gobert, maybe Favors, to average >15 pts.

what a fun team!

Posted by Jazzbeetle on Oct 18, 2018 | 9:15 AM

Rubio needs to go if he thinks he's Robert Horry. Certainly needs to be benched. I'll need more than one game against a crappy team to say Exum is the answer

Quote:
Just noticed that the Cavaliers started our 2016 starting backcourt.
:smile:

Posted by cool screen name on Oct 18, 2018 | 9:25 AM

Wish half of that was still the starting back court. When will someone realize Hood is at best a 6th man even in the east?

Quote:
A win is a win
It was rough, but I’m happy for the end result. Exum looks great.

Posted by guydog on Oct 18, 2018 | 9:40 AM

Solid yes. Great no

Quote:
Also Ricky
I think he’ll be alright. We all have bad days at work.

Posted by guydog on Oct 18, 2018 | 10:19 AM

He has more bad than good though. 3rd highest paid on the team
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: