Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Question about Battier's clutch block

Even Hellen Keller would call Miami ball.

Decent college freshman InfiniteBaskets's Avatar

Sometimes a ref might call out of bounds if a guy goes up for a rebound, is hacked by the other team, and as a result looses control of the ball out of bounds.

The ref will call out of bounds on the opposing team rather than a foul at times. I imagine they do this to keep fouls low on a star in foul trouble and keep the pace going. Not technically the "right" call, but refs are never consistent.

Another example is boxing out during foul shots. Big men that line up in the key step inside the key before the ball is released from the shooters hand ALL THE TIME. Perimeter players step inside the arc ALL THE TIME as well. I've never ever seen a perimeter player get called for stepping inside the arc, and the calls on lane violations are extremely inconsistent.

That doesn't change the actual rules though. Just because the refs make wrong calls every now and then doesn't mean we fault them when they make the right call. In this case, it was off of Green but the video evidence wasn't conclusive enough and that's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm_dc_fan
    Idk to me it was 100% off of green. you can tell by the ball rotation interrupted when green tried reaching for it at the end. Im a celtic and green fan too. if this play were in the 3rd quarter it would have been boston ball. But since it was under the 2 min mark they had to review it. refer back to my first sentence.
    I think it was off green too but how do they determine it in live action. The replay in slow motion looks a bit inconclusive so I can only imagine it is impossible to determine in live action who touched it last.

yes ithink it was off green but when i watch to these replay , its is not clear that the ball touch to hes arm when battier was fall back , i think it was good move to make it boston ball. i was thinking to this even when i didnt not know that hea twill win so im not bias

Local High School Star nashwade's Avatar

the play looked similar to as if Battier took the ball for a fraction of the second and threw it off Green's arm to go out of bounds

Heat ball in that case

Quote Originally Posted by fefe
    This should have been Miami's ball easily. Battier was tapping the ball the opposit direction that it went out...

It should never matter who initated, the only thing that should matter is who touched it last.
    It's pretty clear to ma that Green touvhed it last.

It doesn't matter which quarter. If this was the very firs play of the game, the only thing that matters on out of bounds plays should be who touched it last.
    From what I've seen, the play we are talking about 10 times out of 10 goes in favour of Boston in the first 46 mins, especially if it doesn't deflect off a lower part of Green's body. Am I mistaken about that?????

So, how can the same play result in different out comes at different moments of the game. Doesn't anyone else find that a bit troubling???

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteBaskets
    Sometimes a ref might call out of bounds if a guy goes up for a rebound, is hacked by the other team, and as a result looses control of the ball out of bounds.

The ref will call out of bounds on the opposing team rather than a foul at times. I imagine they do this to keep fouls low on a star in foul trouble and keep the pace going. Not technically the "right" call, but refs are never consistent.

Another example is boxing out during foul shots. Big men that line up in the key step inside the key before the ball is released from the shooters hand ALL THE TIME. Perimeter players step inside the arc ALL THE TIME as well. I've never ever seen a perimeter player get called for stepping inside the arc, and the calls on lane violations are extremely inconsistent.

That doesn't change the actual rules though. Just because the refs make wrong calls every now and then doesn't mean we fault them when they make the right call. In this case, it was off of Green but the video evidence wasn't conclusive enough and that's okay.
    I'm wondering more about the refs interpretation of the rules(in live action vs. reviews) than the actual rule. Last night Bulls/Nuggets could also be discussed in how they interpreted the goal-tending calls. Seems, like the previous plays to Noah's goaltends were also goaltends but were not reviewed.

Quote Originally Posted by MMM
    From what I've seen, the play we are talking about 10 times out of 10 goes in favour of Boston in the first 46 mins, especially if it doesn't deflect off a lower part of Green's body. Am I mistaken about that?????

So, how can the same play result in different out comes at different moments of the game. Doesn't anyone else find that a bit troubling???
    Maybe they thought Green tapped it again, and were looking at that?

I'm a Heat fan, but I thought it was clearly Boston ball. If you want to get technical about it, it should be Heat ball since it was off Green, but its never called that way, and you can't expect the refs to see it like that in real time.

By rule this should be called goaltending each and every time. Yet during live action it is rarely called due to how the refs interpret the goaltending rules(the ball is falling off the rim). So, if these plays go under review under 2 mins shouldn't the interpretation of the rule be the same???

Or since the ball is still technically over the cylinder is it a goaltend???

Quote Originally Posted by MMM
    I'm wondering more about the refs interpretation of the rules(in live action vs. reviews) than the actual rule. Last night Bulls/Nuggets could also be discussed in how they interpreted the goal-tending calls. Seems, like the previous plays to Noah's goaltends were also goaltends but were not reviewed.

I hate the goaltending rule. The officials left a statement about it which was really vague about the call. About the Battier block. He initially did block it out of bounds but few mini seconds at the time the ball did hit his elbow so it could've been Heat ball. To be honest, with all of these rules soon the basketball players wouldn't be allow to dribble the ball by the halfcourt. The NBA needs to fix the contradiction calls.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Maybe they thought Green tapped it again, and were looking at that?

I'm a Heat fan, but I thought it was clearly Boston ball. If you want to get technical about it, it should be Heat ball since it was off Green, but its never called that way, and you can't expect the refs to see it like that in real time.
    I'm just worried about a team getting screwed in the playoffs on one of these calls seems like there can be a potential train wreck. If it is about getting the call right, then can they call a foul if the player that lost the ball was fouled. Odom in the 2010 finals is an example. They gave the ball to Boston but Odom lost the ball because he was clearly fouled. If the review is there to get the call right than why can't that aspect of it be changed???

Local High School Star

The review is to get the out of bounds call right since it deals with possession, the foul is a separate call, no need to butterfly effect a simple process, because then how far back do you go?

Did he travel before he attempted the shot he was fouled on before the ball went out of bounds?

And I don't buy for a minute that you don't understand an out of bounds call.

That ball was off Green. Refs got lucky Heat won that game otherwise Heat would be complaining to no end and this thread would have 18 pages by now. DONT SCREW THIS SHIT UP AGAIN in the playoffs REFS

Quote Originally Posted by HiphopRelated
    The review is to get the out of bounds call right since it deals with possession, the foul is a separate call, no need to butterfly effect a simple process, because then how far back do you go?

Did he travel before he attempted the shot he was fouled on before the ball went out of bounds?

And I don't buy for a minute that you don't understand an out of bounds call.
    It is not the rule that i don't understand it is the interpretation of the rule that is different for the first 46 mins compared to the review. If it is hard to tell in slow mo than how do they determine who it went off in live action???

http://www.nba.com/.element/mp3/2.0/..._Rule_Book.pdf

Rule #8 section 2
    c. The ball is caused to go out-of-bounds by the last player to touch it before it goes out,
    provided it is out-of-bounds because of touching something other than a player. If the ball is
    out-of-bounds because of touching a player who is on or outside a boundary, such player
    caused it to go out. If a player has his hand in contact with the ball and an opponent hits the
    hand causing the ball to go out-of-bounds, the team whose player had his hand on the ball
    will retain possession
    So in the last 2 mins is this what they go by or just last touch???
    because I've seen them call it last touch when the rule book suggests a different interpretation.