Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Question about Battier's clutch block

Quote Originally Posted by MMM
    except they don't call the foul and just award possession to the the player that lost the ball. Yet down the stretch if they don't call the foul than I don't see why the opposing team should be rewarded with possession when it is not called in that manner the majority of the game.
    Ok, I'm pretty sure you're just trolling.

damn, didn't want to seem like I was trolling. I'm seriously confused

trust me I'm not the trolling type

frustrating that nobody knows
    WTF I'm talking about, lol

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Are you talking about a foul?
    i don't think it is a foul if the hand is part of the ball but the offensive player is technically the last player to touch it. That is what I'm confused about.

NBA refs don't know anything about consistency. You should know that by now.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm_dc_fan
    I'm a Boston fan and I see you on realgm.com. You are a good poster but this question by you perplexes me. Green was the last to touch it. But other instances where the ball goes out of bounce almost every time it's the defender who knocks it out with the momentum from his hand.
    It looked inconclusive on one replay and off Green on the rest. But, I'm just trying to clarify the out of bound rulings. The same exact play 10 times out of 10 gets called in favour of Green. When it gets called in favour of the defender is when it is deflected off their leg which did not happen in this particular play.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

MMM = knows bball

MMM = doesn't know a great play.

I know what MMM is talking about. Especially when the player gets blocked and it's pretty much a loose ball situation but the momentum of the offensive player is what pushes the ball out of bounds. During the game, the offense will always keep possession in that instance. However, if you put frame by frame under the microscope, you might notice that it's the offensive player that touched it last. However, they will never call it that way, because a) it's too fast for the human eye to distinguish, and b) it's the defensive player that Initiated the turnover and therefore it's just assumed that he touched it last.

No way during the game, does that ball ever go Miamis way, however based on that instant replay it could have easily been the case

National High School Star Mrofir's Avatar

To answer OP question

I believe the rule is

If the ball goes out of bounds, the player who last touched the ball is determined, and the ball is awarded to the other team.

Quote Originally Posted by MMM

First, sorry about the low quality Gif but I'm concerned about this particular call. Today the refs found it inconclusive but I would really hate to lose possession on this type of play due to replay.

For the first 46 mins of a game this would be Boston ball easily and nobody would really question it. So, why does that change down the stretch. Yes the ball might of technically went off Green but is it not Battier that initiated that???

A somewhat similar play I've seen a few times where the player loses the ball because the defender's momentum causes the offensive player to touch the ball last. Yet the Refs have rewarded the possession to the defense.

Can someone clear up some of the confusion I have over some of these plays???
    See, I disagree with you. I think that would be Heat ball easily and the only reason they gave it back to Boston is they knew that would be killing their chance to win. It looked like it went off Green to me.

Unfort, momentum doesn't matter. It is who touches the ball last before it goes out of bounds.

Edit: From what I saw, it almost looks like he hit it with his fingertips after his elbow, too. But not sure. They played the replay like 20 times, tho.

-Smak

When the ball goes out of bounds, whoever touched it last, the other team gets the ball. End of story. There are no exceptions.... ever. If you ever see differently, the refs just got the call wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    When the ball goes out of bounds, whoever touched it last, the other team gets the ball. End of story. There are no exceptions.... ever. If you ever see differently, the refs just got the call wrong.
    I can't recall the exact game(national TV game), I'm thinking the Lakers or Bulls were involved and they did not determined it by last touch but made an "exception" because the defender forced it out while the offensive player was the last touch. I'm desperately trying to remember the game or find the footage so I don't come off as some raving lunatic.

Local High School Star

Idk to me it was 100% off of green. you can tell by the ball rotation interrupted when green tried reaching for it at the end. Im a celtic and green fan too. if this play were in the 3rd quarter it would have been boston ball. But since it was under the 2 min mark they had to review it. refer back to my first sentence.

Entity of Existence Living Being's Avatar

The fact that he tried to shoot it after being blocked makes it obvious that it came out of his hands.

Other times, it's the difference between the ball being slapped out of the shooter's hands versus being rolled off their hands. The refs can't make that call very well during live action.

Good High School Starter

This should have been Miami's ball easily. Battier was tapping the ball the opposit direction that it went out...

It should never matter who initated, the only thing that should matter is who touched it last.
    It's pretty clear to ma that Green touvhed it last.

It doesn't matter which quarter. If this was the very firs play of the game, the only thing that matters on out of bounds plays should be who touched it last.