Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-31-2007, 09:16 AM   #1
ChuckOakley
NBA lottery pick

Default All Said and Done, Would You.... (C's)

Have Traded:

Al Jefferson
2007 #1 (#5 overall)
2009 #1 (Boston)
2009 #1 (Minny)
Gerald Green
Ryan Gomes
Delonte West
Sebastian Telfair
Theo Ratliff
Wally Szcerbiak

For

KG
Ray Allen
G.Davis

If you were Danny Ainge?
ChuckOakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:47 AM   #2
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

Default Re: All Said and Done, Would You.... (C's)

I'd have seriously thought about it.

I'd first look at what I could have got for Pierce, thats the first option for me.

But looking at that list...

Al Jefferson - Stud, hard to trade.

2007 #1 (#5 overall) - You are talking serious risk on this pick, either get a solid role player or take a huge risk at a project(either way it's not worth what Allen is over the next 3 years.

2009 #1 (Boston) - Should still be a damn good team then producing a 20+ pick.

2009 #1 (Minny) - If you dont take KG away from them, this pick would be a late lottery at best still.

Gerald Green - Might become good. Still looks completely lost to me. Not hard to trade him considering the ins.

Ryan Gomes - Solid roleplayer. Again, not the guy I'm turning down KG or Allen for.

Delonte West - Solid roleplayer. As with Gomes though.

Sebastian Telfair - Rubbish filler contract that was buried in the depth chart and looks like best case is he can become a solid backup.

Theo Ratliff - Contract was far more valuable than he is. Basically worthless if you dont trade him, turning him into KG is about as well as you can do with an expirer.

Wally Szcerbiak - Like Theo only worse because his contract is more valuable than he has ever been as a player right now. Turning him into a better passing, rebounding, defending and scoring version of him is a huge upgrade. Not to mention he isnt a cancer like Wally and that Wally being traded is why KG now likes Boston.

So Yes. I would do this trade. KG, Allen and Pierce is a genuine title contender for the next 3 years or at least should be. Not making any moves they might be a finals contender in the east next year but they weren't challenging anyone in the west and they couldn't have known that Orlando(one of the few teams with a brighter future) was going to cripple themselves financially for the next 5 years in FA when they traded for Allen. So the future didnt look like it had any titles either.

Basically... Boston became a legit contender, coaching aside, and they should do that trade every time. Basketball is not the futures market, it is the here and now. Detroit and Orlando though their futures were bright when they had Penny and Grant Hill, both left and got injured. Just cant bank on what might happen in 5 years if you have a chance to win it all now. Just like Miami did and LA didnt do. In fact the Shaq trade is the perfect example. Lakers traded Shaq with an eye at winning in 5 years time, they are no closer to winning now than Miami are. Just cant play the futures market in the NBA if someone is offering it all to you now.
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:52 AM   #3
thejoyofsobe
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckOakley
Have Traded:

Al Jefferson
2007 #1 (#5 overall)
2009 #1 (Boston)
2009 #1 (Minny)
Gerald Green
Ryan Gomes
Delonte West
Sebastian Telfair
Theo Ratliff
Wally Szcerbiak

For

KG
Ray Allen
G.Davis

If you were Danny Ainge?
I would have done the Ray Allen deal.

The KG deal I'm not so sure about.

I would have no reservations about doing it if giving back Minnesota's first round pick wasn't part of the deal because it's likely to be in the lottery. Gomes is expendable because they've got Powe and G. Davis. Green would have been nice to keep but he would have been a scorer on team that already has Ray Allen, Paul Pierce and either Garnett/Jefferson. His departure does, however, leave the C's with depth issues at SF unless Brandon Wallace develops into something special. Telfair was somebody they already wanted to get rid of, but once again there are now more depth issues at PG.

The question in my mind is three years of 22-12-4 Garnett worth 20-10 Al Jefferson + Gerald Green + a late first round pick + lottery pick + going into the luxury tax + hurting depth at PG and SF?

Last edited by thejoyofsobe : 07-31-2007 at 11:00 AM.
thejoyofsobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:04 AM   #4
kumquat
College superstar

Hells yeah, good move. Out of what he gave up, the only thing you would be bitter about losing is jefferson and the 5 pick. So it's worth Ray and KG.
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: