NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Arrow Who you cheer for small markets / big markets ?

This is in a sense discussing an underdog vs Goliath.

We can argue that small markets have as much money as the owners put out , but it is proven in history that large metropolitan areas have the most chips.

Because I lived in a small market (Milwaukee) I have always cheered for the underdog.
    It just makes the game more enjoyable to see a small market team, punch out a large market system.
    Example - When the Yankee's played in Milwaukee , Us Brewer fans relished stomping on the Yankee's.

What you say ___________

Default Re: Who you cheer for small markets / big markets ?

It's all about the context for me, but generally speaking I feel like I'm wired the same way. Not too many fans who are unbiased toward either team are going to root for the team that's won a lot if they're facing a smaller market team whose fans have seen way less success.

I rule the local playground OnFire's Avatar

Market size is an excuse. Big markets have more because theyve had teams longer. 5 of top 7 markets have zero titles in last 20 years. Of these 5 failures, only 76ers even have one in last 40 years.

Market size has no effect on who i root for. Depends on team and circumstance.
    Last edited by OnFire; 07-19-2016 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper
    This is in a sense discussing an underdog vs Goliath.

We can argue that small markets have as much money as the owners put out , but it is proven in history that large metropolitan areas have the most chips.

Because I lived in a small market (Milwaukee) I have always cheered for the underdog.
    It just makes the game more enjoyable to see a small market team, punch out a large market system.
    Example - When the Yankee's played in Milwaukee , Us Brewer fans relished stomping on the Yankee's.

What you say ___________
    So why do you stan Jordan so hard?

all markets matter

I rule the local playground OnFire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nash
    all markets matter

Local High School Star Stringer Bell's Avatar

In baseball I used to root against the Yankees when their payroll was so much larger than anyone else's, but for the most part, I don't think much of it.

I generally don't care, it just depends on the teams and players involved. In basketball it doesn't have much importance, just look at what a terrible franchise the Knicks are. Look at the title winners of the past few years and how many of them are actually big-market.

Rooting for underdogs makes sports more entertaining because it'd be boring and predictable if the favorites won all the time, but I don't think of the markets.