Default Re: Better Coach Pop or Riley?

gotta take pop. one of the best in nba history

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

pat o riley

Super Ultra Sexy Hero SinJackal's Avatar

Pop.

I have big respect for Riley, but imo his credentials are inflated due to coaching the Magic/Kareem Lakers team. He started out his career coaching them. . .seriously, come on.

Riley won nothing with the Knicks, and won nothing with the Heat either until they put together a superteam with Shaq, Payton, Wade, Walker, and Mourning, among others.

Pop has posted more high quality seasons together in a row than Riley has, and only posted a single "bad season" once in his life. . .his first season when he took over as coach and DRob injured himself.

Riley is also known as a guy who quits when the situation appears to get bleak, and obviously now is rumored to jump in now that it looks good again. I like Riley, but that is seriously embarrassing.

Also, it's widely the belief of many people that rookies who get drafted and start with the Spurs almost all end up very good players. Hell, look how many coaches coach the league now that came from the Spurs system. At least three, four if you count Popovich himself.

Pop's winning % is also better. He also (I think), has the record for most .600 or better seasons in a row as head coach of a team.

Riley's really good, but Pop's better to me.

You notice how people are bringing up who Riley coached but when it comes to Phil Jackson none of that matters? Another ISH double standard.

Just say pop because you despise the whole miami heat organization. Be honest now.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerGlove
    You notice how people are bringing up who Riley coached but when it comes to Phil Jackson none of that matters? Another ISH double standard.

Just say pop because you despise the whole miami heat organization. Be honest now.
    Phil has 11 rings......Phil also showed that he can win rings despite having egotistic and problematic players(shaq, kobe, Jordan, Rodman)...

If Riley reaches at least 8 rings, maybe I'll change my mind...For now, pop...

Super Ultra Sexy Hero SinJackal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PowerGlove

I would have said Pop last year, 2 years ago, 3 years ago, 4 years ago, 5 years ago. . .what happened this year doesn't matter.

Don't generalize people because you want to bandwagon for the Heat now.

Local High School Star

Pop easilly he won with less talent and 1 superstar,he and Duncan made Parker and Ginobli superstars,to me i've never seen that done before.Riley is a great great coach dont get me wrong,but it showed when he had a tad less than those Laker teams he could'nt get it done and those Knicks teams and the Mourning & Tim Hardaway Heat were more talented than the Spurs teams that won it,he had Wade and Shaq when he won a again,not hard to do,the Spurs Pop,and Duncan are moving up my ATG list almost everyday,they are everything thats great about sports.

Quote Originally Posted by SinJackal
    I would have said Pop last year, 2 years ago, 3 years ago, 4 years ago, 5 years ago. . .what happened this year doesn't matter.

Don't generalize people because you want to bandwagon for the Heat now.
    Because I want to bandwagon for the heat? If I wanted to, what is stopping me? Seriously, in what scenario would that be a problem?

Stupid.

So defensive...did I quote you? No.

How ironic is it that you want me to stop generalizing and then you make a dumbass assumption. Says a lot about you.

Also, if you would have said Pop five years ago, you would have been laughed at.

DaniloGallinari
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Anyone choosing Riley must be slow in the head. That is all.

Local High School Star icemanfan's Avatar

1 PJax
    2 Red
    3 Pop
    4 Pat

IMO

owwwww

Riley.

Quote Originally Posted by icemanfan
    1 PJax
    2 Red
    3 Pop
    4 Pat

IMO
    Chuck Daly saids hi

Local High School Star icemanfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yung D-Will
    Chuck Daly saids hi
    you would put him above Pat? I though about putting Larry Brown on there.Guy is a great coach but has trouble getting over the hump. I honestly think Byron Scott is under rated but he has not gotten over the hump yet.

I don't know about the order but if you were making a top 10 you'd have to include guys like

Sloan
    Brown
    Daly
    Wilkins

Just not sure where they would fall

Riley